Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Les Paul 60s Tribute vs P-90 SG

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by voodooblues, Sep 28, 2017.

1. voodooblues

voodooblues Friend of Leo's

Sep 12, 2012
    Berwyn, Il
    Hey all, I've been interested in P-90 guitars lately and the two in the title have caught my eye. Can anyone give any insight as to which they prefer and why? Thanks in advance. Other P-90 guitar suggestions are welcome too.

2. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Main difference to me is the weight. If you've got back problems (like I do) get the SG. Otherwise, get yourself a Les Paul if you don't already have one, 'cause it's a Les Paul. Both should be great guitars with pro quality components.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017

3. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

Sep 28, 2010
    Columbia, MO
    I'd also take a look at the LP Special. I just picked one up and it's great. Lots around at good prices.

acstorfer and dr_tom like this.

4. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Rhode Island
    I've owned plenty of Les Pauls and plenty of SGs. Still own one of each.

My nod would always go to the SG. Better ergonomics, more aggressive, wider range of tones.

That's just me.

mbell75 and teleaddicted like this.

5. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    I have/had both of those guitars. Sold off the LP. Played them side by side, liked the tone of the SG better, it was clearer and more defined. Also, my SG Standard p90 has a full gloss finish and neck binding. Got it for 799 new at GC on sale at the end of 2016, so it was a great deal as well. I am happy with it vs the LP.

I also like SGs better in general though. Lighter and more ergonomic.

teleaddicted and dr_tom like this.

6. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    There are heavy SGs and light LPs.

To me the big difference is whether you like a flat top or a carved top. I prefer flat. So I have two SGs.

... and one LP

dr_tom likes this.

7. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Tele-Afflicted

I've got two SG Juniors and two Les Paul's, one of which is a 60s Tribute. The SGs are like getting into a fast little sports car and the LPs are more like old muscle cars. They handle differently, but both are a lot of fun to drive.

You can't go wrong with a P-90 or two. I've got five P-90 guitars and I love them all.

- D

lineboat and Zepfan like this.

8. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2006
    Singapore
    1756FE9A-B7EE-49FD-A354-D42F32BBF87E.jpg

Here is my 2012 SG Classic with P90s. For some reason it is still one of the most resonant Gibsons I own, when played unplugged.

I’ve tried a few other Gibson’s including the 50s tribute series, and a LPDC with P90s, and had limited love for them. Somehow the thinner body works better with the P90 pickups. Of course, YMMV.

9. voodooblues

Sep 12, 2012
    Berwyn, Il
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Upon researching the LP I saw that the body on this model is chambered so weight won't be as much of an issue. Also, and I hate to be this way, but the idea of owning a Gibson LP holds a certain mystique to me. There's a Guitar Center not far from where I work, I may pop over there today to play some and do a comparison of the two.

StrangerNY and ac15 like this.

10. 41144

41144 Tele-Meister

Sep 5, 2017
    West Midalnds, GB
    Hi ... With an id like voodooblues do you do any slide ?
    If yes, SG (especially with P90s) every time - whether for occasional or dedicated slide guitar.

11. GearHund

GearHund Tele-Meister

Apr 9, 2008
    East, Tx
    SG Classic.jpg I have had two LP's pass through my hands - and one SG Classic. I still have the Classic. Love that guitar.

Weight was an issue for my LP's though.

rze99 and Crawldaddy like this.

12. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's

LOVE my 2016 60s Tribute.

Never played an SG...:oops:

13. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    My first guitar was an SG. I no longer have it, though I wish I did if for no other reason than sentimental reasons.

I bought my first Les Paul late in life (10 years ago or so).

It is a p90 LP as well (Historic 54 reissue).

I used to think LP's and SG's essentially sounded the same, but I have changed my thinking on that.

I think LP's sound better IMO. There is a silky, creamy, feel and sound that is characteristic of LP's regardless of whether they sport humbuckers or P90's. it's an iconic sound, and especially for single notes and lead lines, I don't think there is anything better.

14. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    Have you seen The Jim Adkins J-90 telecaster ,it looks pretty interesting and it has some Gibson specs too .

RoyBGood likes this.

15. admsx

admsx TDPRI Member

Sep 5, 2017
    NJ
    If you are going to go the route of the SG I would warn you to NOT buy one online unless you can return it, and preferably go hunt one down in person for one simple reason.

MANY Gibson SG's are neck heavy, and for me personally I cannot stand a neck heavy guitar. It throws everything off for me and ruins the playing experience because I'm always using at least some type of force to hold the guitar up. I know there are remedies for this, such as counterweight balanced and the right strap, but I say just try to find one that is NOT neck heavy at all. I owned an SG for a while that was not neck heavy in the slightest, you could play it sitting down and let go of the neck and it would just balance perfectly. That guitar was a joy to play, wish I never sold it.

I would go for the SG for the fret access. SG's are kind of weird to play sitting down at first because it feels like the neck is super long and sticking out in a weird way, but you easily get used to that, but standing up they are probably one of the most comfortable guitars to play, even more so than a strat.

I say go for the SG, but hunt down one that is not neck heavy or I think you will regret the purchase. Unless you the kind of guy who wouldn't be bugged by a neck heavy guitar, in which case more power to you.

Crawldaddy likes this.

16. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    I think you'll be happy with either, but don't rule out a Les Paul Special.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. voodooblues

Sep 12, 2012
    Berwyn, Il
    I owned an SG many moons ago, it had the neck dive issue but I kinda just dealt with it. What I'd really like to do is sit down and play the two side-by-side so I can really get a grasp of the tonal differences. I know the GC near me has the LP in stock but last I checked not the SG. I'll keep the Juniors in mind too. The J-90 might be interesting, but I'm kinda trying to move away from Teles on this one. Of course, my ear has to dictate the final judgement in the end.

18. paulo6

paulo6 Tele-Meister

Sep 14, 2011
    london
    I just wish Gibson would release a white SG and ideally also a SG Jnr with the small scratchplate and of course P90s. I'd be first in line for one of those!

19. acstorfer

acstorfer Tele-Holic

Mar 11, 2007
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Les Paul Junior Special for the win

[​IMG]

RoyBGood likes this.

20. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Holic

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    In my personal paradigm, SGs were too lightweight- they felt like I was going to break them. LPs are too heavy and slightly veiled sounding compared to an SG.

LP Specials are juuuuust right.

As a big Pete Townshend/Neil Young fan I really wanted to like both, but the Special is the one that resonated with me.

acstorfer likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.