Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Lemon oil on rosewood fretboard?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by nosuch, Sep 17, 2017.

1. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    Really? Surely not on Nancy. Being a '53, it pre-dated rosewood fretboards by six years.

2. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Dunlop 65 lemon oil on rosewood only at about once a year during a string change. The Dunlop bottle has a dobber that kinda keeps you from using too much. It should be just minimal enough for you to rub in the smallest amount. Keep an eye on your rosewood fretboards, because some tend to dry out faster than others. My bottle will probably last me 20 years.

3. bazmusicman

bazmusicman Tele-Meister

Dec 21, 2015
    london England.

chezdeluxe likes this.

4. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Holic

Jun 13, 2010
    selden, ny
    I've been using lemon oil for 40 years, and I generally put it on pretty heavy too. I am always told it would soften the wood and ruin it in some way. Never has.

5. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 7, 2009
    Reading, Massachusetts
    Most of my necks are maple, but my basses and my Strat are rosewood and boiled linseed oil works excellently.

oldfish likes this.

6. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Still not good to use EVER on ANYTHING!!!! Pledge is full of silicon. It will work its way below the crazing of the fret board lacquer and lift the clear coat.

pdcorlis and moosie like this.

7. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Valvoline 10W/30 makes me play really fast! ;):)

8. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    So-called lemon oil contains no lemons, ya know. It's merely (expensive) scent added to straight up mineral oil.

Mineral oil is the best thing, IMO, but you don't need to pay for the lemons.

Olive oil goes rancid.

Motor oil, 3-in-1 oil, you can see the impurities. Fine for metal parts, but I don't want that crap embedded in my rosewood grain.

Whatever you do, don't use too much. Unless you're drying out the board by scrubbing with naphtha for some reason (to clean off serious gunk, remove dye, etc), then all your board should need is a few drops, well rubbed in, once a year.

Drench the poor thing, or oil it every time you change strings, and you chance swelling the end grain of the fret slots, and loosening the frets.

Georox and Teleposer like this.

9. Teleposer

Teleposer Tele-Meister

Sep 28, 2016
    UK
    End of.

It's actually Mineral Oil with a Lemon smell, not real Lemon Oil at all. You could use Baby Oil if you liked (iirc).

I've got old boards that are almost about to crack after decades and they drank that stuff up. Time for another swabbing.

It's done no harm. It's brought out the beautiful darkness of the Rosewood boards a treat. It's healed the coming cracks. What' not to like?

Just scrape off all the accumulated gunk. Don't put too much on. Wipe it off quickly and thoroughly. Good to go. Makes a world of difference.

And yeah, the Lemon thing makes it smell nice too for a while (about 5 hours).

On my newer guitars that had that light stripey Rosewood effect, well, it brought out the nice dark tones and they have stayed on top for over a year now (since last treatment).

It's magical stuff really. I love it. I'd use it on any guitar I have.

10. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Dec 23, 2009
    Rocklin Ca.
    Old English lemon oil that's all I have ever used. When I bought my Breedlove I emailed them about how to take care of it they said Lemon oil on the finger board and Pledge on the guitar. I just can't bring myself to stay pledge on it.

11. chris214

chris214 TDPRI Member

Jan 16, 2011
    Boston
    mineral oil, here.

Georox likes this.

12. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2008
    Cologne
    Yeah that's what I have here too. As far as I remember ist was left by a roommate like 15 years ago ...

Toto'sDad likes this.

13. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I've been using it since about 2009, and I'm still using the same bottle. It doesn't take a lot of it, and it seems to keep the boards in good shape on my acoustics.

14. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Aug 29, 2007
    MV, CA
    I go to In n Out Burger, order a double double and then play my guitar. The hamburger grease leaves a great finished on the finger board and it smells great when you open the guitar case.

Toto'sDad likes this.

15. Strat62

Strat62 Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2008
    Cambridge Vt.
    That's what I use. I have 3 bare maple fretboards I use it on too. The bare maple feels great compared to the thick, sticky poly found on most maple boards.

16. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    I still have a can and a bottle:

[​IMG]

Been using it since the 80s. It has imparted a wonderful dark color to the rosewood neck of my Strat.

(And, my yellow Strat smells like lemons -- I kid you not!)

Considering how little I use at a time, it's going to be a long time before I need to find anything else!

17. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.