Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Lemon oil on rosewood fretboard?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by nosuch, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I have a bottle of Kyser Lem-Oil what ever that is. I bought it a long time ago at the Guitar Center, 'cause they said, as far as YOU know this is good stuff. How can you go wrong?

2. Sunnyd_lite

Sunnyd_lite TDPRI Member

Jan 31, 2017
    So Cal
    I just use a rag dampened with warm water to clean the FB now and then
    I figure the FB gets enough oil from my fingers during the normal course of playing and practicing

3. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I hope the fret board doesn't start rusting. Everything I've ever put 3 in 1 oil on began rusting almost as soon as I quit applying it. 3 in 1 can turn a firearm into a rust bucket in 48 hours of less.

4. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I've just installed maple butcher block countertops and done a bunch of reading on care and feeding of natural wood. Basically it's just what others have said - mineral oil is the cheap, natural choice, not too much nor too often. Most other competing products are mineral oil + pointless additives. Next time I do my fretboards I'll use the same bottle of cheap mineral oil I use on my countertops.

Georox and Paul G. like this.

5. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    I've seen mineral oil in stores, but I will never buy it because it's on the same shelf as the laxatives.

Andy B likes this.

6. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Tele-Afflicted

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    Yep to above. I use an old bottle of cutting block oil ( basically lemon oil). I use it because I have it. I'm sure a light coat of olive oil would work too. Rub it on with a Bounty paper towel. Has to be Bounty paper towels, unless another brand is on sale. Then use that.

mexicanyella likes this.

7. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

8. jjudas

jjudas Tele-Meister

Jul 26, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    I use lemon oil on Rosewood on all my applicable guitars.

9. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2012
    That StewMac oil is good stuff!

10. djh22

djh22 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Jan 12, 2012
    VA
    Roy Buchanan used Lemon Pledge

pdcorlis likes this.

11. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Lately I am using kitchen cutting board mineral oil.

,,, the perfect finish for chopping up those late night snacks ;)

JuneauMike, studio and pdcorlis like this.

12. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

Sep 24, 2013
    The Hudson Valley
    I use Gerlitz Guitar Honey. It costs about 45 cents per year and the neck has not fallen off my Les Paul yet.

13. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Dec 29, 2007
    Brisbane Australia
    Huh? I've been putting lemon oil on ebony fingerboards for over 25 years with success. :cool:

14. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Meister

May 28, 2008
    netherlands
    may i ask why this warning? i use danish for years now on rosewood like fingerboards and it hardens out and does not stay sticky like linseed sometime is.
    in my vision i would warn for lemon oil. maybe i am wrong but lemon, the fruit, has a sharp biting fluid so it maybe harming the wood like sweat does?
    but maybe the oil is something else?

my route is cleaning with nafta than applying Rustins danish oil, let it soak in a short while than rub off the excess and polish it up with a clean rag

pdcorlis likes this.

15. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.

16. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    Hi Handybob, I was just concerned that, based on my nutty advice, someone would smear linseed oil based product all over their beloved neck, then find out that it hardened up into a tough film that's a bear to remove, especially on a maple fretboard. Then it would be my fault, and everyone would get upset, yadda yadda. Mineral oil doesn't leave much residue on the surface, once you wipe it off.

BTW, most "Danish" oi is linseed oil based. The boiled variety dries harder than the raw oil. (Or it may be the other way around) YMMV.

17. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 9, 2012
    Nebraska
    I would assume that is because "3 in 1" oil claims to "clean", which means it has some solvent qualities. I never use anything on firearms except oils and cleaners designed for them. WD40, 3 in 1, and all those multi-purpose oils are great for bike chains, door hinges, and rusty bolts, but keep them away from your rifles and pistols.

Toto'sDad likes this.

18. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Holic

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    Whatever you think is lemon oil really isn't that, it's just lemon scented (probably) mineral oil. Just get something made for guitars, it's that simple. The stuff isn't expensive. I've had the same little bottle of Dunlop 65 lemon scented oil for years, better part of a decade I'd bet. If you're doing it right, it should take forever to go through that much oil. If you use it more quickly than that it probably means you're not playing enough because the oil from your fingers shouldn't be negligible ;)

Obsessed likes this.

19. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I learned that 58 years ago on my first deer rifle. I had been told to clean and oil my rifle after firing it. The wonders of 3-in-1 were listed right there on the can, how could I go wrong? Luckily I caught it before too much damage was done, but I'm very, very, careful about what I put on anything now, including myself. :lol:

Mike SS likes this.

20. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Meister

May 28, 2008
    netherlands
    you are right Bill, you have to make shure excess is removed on time. my thought on Rustins Danish was, if it is good for wooden furniture and fruit bowls etc. it can't be wrong on a guitar.
    i have bought two secondhand guitars with rosewood like fingerboards that had some serious damage on the fret-board below the strings
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i think this has to do with sweat and tremolo effect were the strings work like scrappers. that is why i like something like Danish to be sure wood does not soften by sweat

Blue Bill likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.