Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Legend 1058 vs Copperhead speaker

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Webfoot, Mar 21, 2012.

1. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Lots of sampling to do with 10's. out there
    I have tried Emi ramrods, rajun cajuns, CTS, Oxfords..EMI Fender blue
    the GOLD!!!

All have a special place..

2. StephaninMelb

StephaninMelb Banned

Jan 11, 2012
    Melbourne
    Consider yourself lucky you didn't take up transducer acoustic engineering as a profession :lol:

Attached Files:

3. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR

I think we got your point, unlike you seem to not be getting the point the end user perceives to be what a given speaker may sound like, not withstanding the engineers intent and documentation of same....

4. StephaninMelb

StephaninMelb Banned

Jan 11, 2012
    Melbourne
    Thats cool I'm with you man. Just like the secret handshake...

Attached Files:

5. jondanger

jondanger Friend of Leo's

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    Despite this thread getting majorly derailed, must say that I like the Copperhead in my MusicMan very much. Can't speak to the Legend.

6. Rockdog

Rockdog Tele-Afflicted

The derail was my doing. Sorry to Webfoot, the OP. I hope you found your answer here amidst the fray.

Stephan, if I'd known I was dealing with an audiophile, I'd never have bothered getting in the ring with you over aftermarket speakers. Who knew sound was in the numbers and not in the ears? Sail on, sailor.

7. Webfoot

Webfoot Tele-Holic

Jan 13, 2007
    Oregon
    Lots of good info... and it's all good.

What's needed in the 'speaker industry' is some standardized testing using a range of 'control rooms/amps/micing techniques with standardized single pickup and humbucker guitars with gold low and high gain dirt pedals' that go from fender cleans to marshall dirt to provide real world audio clip comparisons. Yup... a long sentence...but a audio lab where every can send there speakers to and will forever get the same baseline audio comparisons. The end result would tell you... What rigs do the speakers sound good in? What rigs do the speakers sound bad in?

Probably the modeler guys and all the IR stuff have this all figured out.

I'm just interested in the end game.

Whats a good 12" speaker for my DRRI and a 10" speaker for my pro jr that does fender clean and marshall dirt. The factory speakers are actually pretty good but you always wonder if you can make it a lot better.

8. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Holic

Mar 23, 2003
    Midland TX
    Webfoot, that's in theory a good idea, but there are so many variables, I don't honestly know how a 'scientific' approach could work. Things that I can see as confounds include

- amp and component age
    - baffle board and enclosure type
    - level of input attack and type of pipckups
    - style of music
    - most important - personal choice...

I've heard (most have) a specific rig sound absolutely horrible with player A, then player B comes along and makes it sound like heaven...that's why so many of these "help me choose XYZ" threads are futile - it all depends on what the player sounds like in the 1st place as we ALL have pretty much our own individual tone to start with...

Many of us have a good idea what an ancient Jensen, JBL, EVM, or pre-Rola Celestion sound like - those are IMO better descriptors than any spec sheet (number don't mean squat tonally) or "the best for ____ music" opinions.

I think
    -

9. Webfoot

Webfoot Tele-Holic

Jan 13, 2007
    Oregon
    Wireline, I know... it was more of a ramble... but I am amazed at how many amp, pickup and speaker companies have no sound clips or crummy sound clips to sell their products... how does that serenity prayer go again?

10. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    It's all in your personal preference too.!
    You really got to find that out the hard way..
    You probably dont pick like Red Volkert or Tab Benoit or Randy RHoades
    try to find video clips or MP3 with certain speakers..
    my worse case.
    buy em..and flip em..
    someone has to do it..
    lol

11. Singin' Dave

Singin' Dave Friend of Leo's

May 22, 2008
    Chicago
    Preference schmeference! Numbers tell the story! Jus' Kiddin'....

I completely agree that the same speaker can sound great in one cab or combo and pretty darn bad in another. so it really does boil down to YOUR situation. You can usually narrow it down to a few via sound clips, specs and description but at the end of the day, if you like it, stick with it. If not, rinse and repeat. Buy your speakers used and flip until you find the one to save $$.

I also want to defend Stephan here. While some may not dig his style, he spends a lot of time giving very useful information and specs and has been very helpful to many OP's, saving them time digging for info on their own. If he has an opinion, he states it. Isn't that what we're all doing here? If you don't like his shtick, scroll on past. I'm very glad to have him on the forum.

12. Twang Banger

Twang Banger Tele-Meister

Apr 7, 2011
    Jacksonville, Fla
    Curious which speaker Webfoot ended up with and what the verdict is/was??? I've been through Copperheads in a PRRI and 68 CVR - I like the 1058s MUCH BETTER. But that's just me.

13. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    I have only owned 2 Legends and they were 2 of the 4 speakers I had in a BFSR years ago so I can't compare them to the Copperhead.
    My 75 Princeton Reverb that I use for a backup amp has a Copperhead in it and it sounds great. My main PR has a Cannabis Rex.

14. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    The Emi GA SC64-10 seems to have a lot of character, the 1058 is nice but a little more harsh on the top at times. Not a lot. I didn't like the WGS G10C at all, but maybe I didnt give them long enough to break in. However, the GA SC64 sounds good right out of the box.

15. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    Oh crap... who dredged up this ancient thread!:eek:

16. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    Missed the zombie dates...

17. Twang Banger

Apr 7, 2011
    Jacksonville, Fla

18. Twang Banger

Apr 7, 2011
    Jacksonville, Fla
    I did ... it remains a valid discussion ... Copperhead vs. Legend 1058.

TequilaCaster likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.