Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Led Zeppelin- I'm a few years late to the party.

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by mnutz, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Holic

Aug 29, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    I love Jimmy's guitar playing. Such great riffs and it sounds like it's just all going to fall apart, but it doesn't. Yeah, he's sloppy a lot of the time, but it works.

RoyBGood, viccortes285 and mnutz like this.

2. Ooba Tooba

Ooba Tooba Tele-Meister

Jul 10, 2017
    Toledo Ohio USA

This song is good, but a couple parts sound lifted right off a few old Atlantic records. That Levee Breaks drum effect, that little break that reminds me your time is gonna come... they're good tho. Singer has a bit of a Paul Rogers thing going on but has a better rasp.

Royal Tele, mnutz and viccortes285 like this.

3. Ooba Tooba

Ooba Tooba Tele-Meister

Jul 10, 2017
    Toledo Ohio USA
    Another

Wanted to check em live to see if they could bring it sans studio trickery. Sounding pretty damn good to these ears

mnutz likes this.

4. RL52

RL52 TDPRI Member

Jul 9, 2013
    NY
    Privettricker & James James Youtube channnel
    Tonedr - Youtube
    enter Led Zeppelin in the channel search box

mnutz likes this.

5. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    On the subject of sound-alikes, I always thought that in this song, Billy Squier sounds so much like Plant... especially like around the 55 second mark. Usually it's not that odd to find vocalist similarities, but for voices like Plant's, it's a rarity.

mnutz likes this.

6. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    I heard Zeppelin first from my older brother, who bought LZ IV in the mid-70's. I had just started playing guitar and as soon as I heard them I realized they were my band.

Even though it is forbidden, I've somehow learned to play Stairway all the way through and most of the solo. I didn't set out to do it but every now and then (over 40 years) I've played bits and pieces of it or discovered how they work. Surprisingly one day it came on the radio and I had my guitar in my hands so I decide to play along and low and behold I played it from start to finish and nailed about 2/3 of the solo. Of course I was playing a Telecaster throughout. Surprised the heck out of me that I knew all of the parts.

I've played Ramble On, Dazed & Confused, What Is and What Should Never Be, and Good Times / Bad Times with a few bands. I've jammed The Ocean & Immigrant Song but I'd love to play a few others in a band setting: Ten Years Gone, Over the Hills and Far Away, Bring it on Home, The Levy Breaks, The Rain Song, Since I've been Loving You, Out on the Tiles, In the Light, Fool in the Rain and Misty Mountain Hop!

So much great material!

EDIT: I'd also want to play Song Remains the Same in a band setting. I can't get enough of the introduction and solo. Always blows my mind!

7. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    I love these guy's. I can hear some LZ, Free, Door's and old Aerosmith influence in their songs. Awesome band.

Ooba Tooba and mnutz like this.

8. Royal Tele

Royal Tele Tele-Holic

Jul 13, 2009
    Lone Star State
    Very cool. Thanks for the suggestion--I'll enjoy listening to them!

9. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    Page mostly sucked live. Zep / page were studio cats, mainly. Nice music if you dig plant squeals. Bonham is the most overrated drummer ever, then again the band shone in the studio and got a cool drums sound to cover Bonham sloppiness.

They are famous for a plagiarized song, and another satanist anthem called kashmir

In my humble opinion, ditch Zep and dig the Real Deal = DEEP PURPLE

It's almost a joke, ok? Almost

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    mnutz likes this.

10. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Meister

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Not much more one can add to mostly everything stated here. Zep were simply the jizz - and Page is my all time favourite guitarist.

mnutz likes this.

11. viper007

viper007 Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2014
    Sweden

12. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta

Never seen that one before,,, it isnt on my DVD of Song Remains the Same

I wonder why? Is it on anybody else's here?

13. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta

yawn

it never ends, you know

8barlouie and awasson like this.

14. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    I hadn't seen this one either. That is a killer video.

I've always been blown away at the chemistry these guys had together. I've been in a few power trios and 3 + vocalist bands; being the one guitar gives you a lot of freedom but when it comes to the solo, you really have to bring it. Man, that arrangement was super tight and Jimmy's guitar was loud and articulate. Awesome!

Stratohacker and RLee77 like this.

15. 8barlouie

8barlouie Tele-Afflicted

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    Check out their acoustic stuff. Some of Page's best work is what he's done on acoustic. None of it sucks.

RLee77 and awasson like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.