Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Led Zeppelin- I'm a few years late to the party.

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by mnutz, Sep 20, 2017.

1. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Holic

That was pretty cool!

2. Stratohacker

Stratohacker Tele-Meister

Apr 18, 2013
    California
    I love Led Zeppelin

mnutz likes this.

3. 68tele

68tele Tele-Afflicted

Apr 26, 2003
    East Northport NY
    google 'jun626 led zeppelin'

He plays/demonstrates Page's parts flawlessly

mnutz likes this.

4. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Tele-Meister

May 7, 2015
    atlanta
    Led Zeppelin 1 was the only real zeppelin album. after that they all died in a tragic plane crash and were replaced by zombie robot look alikes, though the zombie robots were credible musicians and just like real musicians gave all their royalties to the manager and the record company.

5. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Meister

Aug 7, 2015
    Somerset, Europe
    The live version of 'No Quarter' from The Song Remains the Same.
    If anyone can play that solo I bow down to them....

It's haunted me since I was 14, back in the '70s, and I think I would call it my favourite solo of all time.

songtalk and Praxis like this.

6. Royal Tele

Royal Tele Tele-Holic

Jul 13, 2009
    Lone Star State
    "Heavy Led Zeppelin influence" is a major understatement...

I heard this group's stuff recently. While I first thought it sounded pretty cool, I quickly found myself uninterested because they sounded TOO similar to LedZep to my ears--like a "blatant ripoff", as someone said before me. When they sound THAT similar to LedZep, I feel like I should just go put on some LedZep.

mnutz likes this.

7. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    I don't think Zep ever did a bad song, I've been a fan since I was 5 Hearing my brothers play the 1st and 2nd albums in early 1970. Some say that Page was a sloppy guitar player, but they don't understand that early Rock music wasn't as structured and polished in technique, it had a feel to it and players would just go where they wanted in the moment. Then there was the obvious influential substances going on. Page was Classically trained at an early age and it's very noticeable in his playing these days.

Anyway, some songs stand out more than others, but all of them are great in my opinion. In Through The Out Door(their last album with Bonzo) was a bit different from the norm, but still good.

Plant's first solo album Pictures At Eleven was great and very much Zepplin like.

awasson, songtalk and mnutz like this.

8. Mississippi_Kid

Mississippi_Kid Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2016
    Hinterlands, USA
    Wow...coming here and asking about LZ is like stumbling into a nursing home and asking what's the best denture cream.

9. scottser

scottser Tele-Holic

Mar 6, 2009
    dublin
    Since I've been loving you is page's top drawer IMO. Live version is class, great dynamics with just the volume control on his guitar.

Humscruddle and mnutz like this.

10. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    They musta joined Sir Paul & Fred Flintstone, ditching their footwear...yabba-dabba-dood

11. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Tele-Afflicted

Sep 22, 2014
    Pahrump, nv
    In the evening, Fool in the rain, when the levy breaks, over the hills and far away, d'yer mak'er, tangerine, going to California, most dick(mostly a drum song, but the guitar/bass parts at the beginning/end are awesome), whole lotta love, ramble on, Achilles last stand, what is and what should never be, and living loving maid. I can't play most of these, but they are on my list to learn.

mnutz likes this.

12. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    A nice thing about Zep/Page for a guitar player is the huge variety of styles in their catalog; pretty easy to find something that really appeals to start learning.
    One iconic moment for me of Page's playing is the solo in Heartbreaker... gets me every time. Such a frenetic release of a storm of notes, played with abandon.

Some of my favs that I've learned (all or most) -- Tea For One, Ten Years Gone, Custard Pie, Rover, Sick Again, Houses of the Holy, and my favorite acoustic piece Bron Yr Aur (in open C6 tuning). The Physical Graffiti release is a treasure trove for great stuff to learn and have fun with.
    When I was learning Kashmir, with that wonderful descending chord progression, against a backing track I made, I realized how much the drum part drove the song like a dirge/march; you kind of get mesmerized by it while playing the guitar parts and go into a trance, lol.

13. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Poster Extraordinaire

'The Lemon Song' is my favourite LZ piece by miles and your 'skill' comment is spot-on. Jimmy Page really excels on this one! Magnificent track - a great example of what they were about and I think, the best song to play to a newbie. Can you believe this superb album is 48 years old? :eek:

14. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2013
    Long Island
    IMG_0225.JPG

Love Zeppelin, but few ever talk about Page and his solo work. I thought the Coverdale Page album was fantastic.

GearHund and mnutz like this.

15. Praxis

Praxis Tele-Meister

Dec 11, 2007
    Out There
    I started listening to Zep when I was 8 years old in 1970. My friend had two older brothers with awesome record collections, and Zep was in heavy rotation at their house. They've been one of the few bands I never tire of, no matter what. I think their music just got deeply worn into some deep dark recess of my brain.

There are lots of great suggestions for cool Zep tunes in this thread. I'll add a couple more that are kind of "off the beaten track," but really fun tunes to learn to play:

"Darlene" -- a really cool, laid-back groove that rocks pretty hard. Ghost notes are your friends.
    " For Your Life" -- simple to play, but has such a cool feel to it, and twists around in odd ways.

mnutz likes this.

16. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    Yeah, I absolutely LOVE Jones' bass riffs on that, and the way Page plays against it in unusual timings. Spot on.

Macrogats, RoyBGood and mnutz like this.

17. Lexi_Tele

Lexi_Tele TDPRI Member

Jul 14, 2017
    Louisiana
    Led Zeppelin is great. And you can't forget:

"When it comes down to making out, whenever possible, put on Side One of Led Zeppelin IV."

18. Arafel

Arafel TDPRI Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Denver
    And the absolutely hilarious part of that is it cuts to him driving in the car while playing Kashmir after picking up Stacey.

19. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

Out On the Tiles, In the Light, Fool in the Rain, Nobodies Fault but Mine, Traveling Riverside Blues, Bring it on Home, Rain Song, Ten Years Gone, Down by the Seaside.

All really friggin good songs.

They were seriously one of the best bands ever ever ever to get mainstream famous.

So heavy and such cool songs and such musicianship. Nothing at all to scoff at except maybe the lyrics which are actually kind of endearing in their campy nerdy stoner leanings.

tooloud and mnutz like this.

20. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Yep, I was gonna post that video but someone else already did. LOVE that song. BTW "Song Remains the Same" the movie is on AXS TV this weekend. Just checked and "It Might Get Loud" is on AXS on Saturday as well, check your local listings for the time.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    mnutz likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.