Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Led Zeppelin- I'm a few years late to the party.

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by mnutz, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Stairway to Heaven... not many people have heard it though.

2. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    He achieved amazing things on such a limited kit. Most drummers seem to hate him. Page used to stick his kit at the base of the stairwell at Headley Grange to pick up the ambience with mics above.

Apparently during the last years the roadies put down plastic sheets because he shovelled handfuls of coke, out of plastic bags taped to his kit, into his mouth and nose it went everywhere.

After the gig the roadies carefully decanted it back into baggies for their own use...

mnutz likes this.

3. Jackadder

Jackadder Tele-Meister

Jun 12, 2014
    West Australia
    Recent doco 'It Might Get Loud', featuring Jimmy Page, The Edge & Jack White has some great segments of Page, including this one where he casually strums one of my fave Led Zep songs, 'Ramble On':

4. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone

Que references to Gollum and Mordor.....

I love Sandy Denny's duet with Plant on The Battle of Evermore, very Tolkeinish, a bit Elvish. She was - apparently - the unofficial 5th member of LZ and present at a lot of recording.

Another tragic casualty of Page's devil worship allegedly. Fell down some steps, split her skull

If you can find Kenneth Anger's Lucifer Rising Page was doing out-there theremin and violin Bow stuff for that before it was aborted. Pretty out-there film.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    mnutz likes this.

5. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Aug 29, 2007
    MV, CA
    Also the band of my teen years. The first album was a milestone. On the radio at the time was the Beach Boys, Beatles, Paul Revere and the Raiders and then LZ came along and everybody went "What is that?" Changed the face of music completely. Saw them live, amazing show. Still keep LZII in regular rotation in my car. Killer road music.

Don't hear Stairway to Heaven so much in the guitar stores anymore but for years in the 70s, 80s and 90s you could usually catch someone playing the intro. So much so that it became kind of looked down on lick.

mnutz likes this.

6. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone

Fatstring and mnutz like this.

7. chris214

chris214 TDPRI Member

Jan 16, 2011
    Boston
    Trampled Under Foot. Check out Celebration- they're old but JP is still amazing.

mnutz likes this.

8. krowbot

krowbot Tele-Meister

Oct 15, 2009
    Hanford, California
    Oh we have started!!! Okay last reply! I bought the dvd the same time I was going to jr. College. I ended up ripping the audio from the DVD JUST so I could listen to that version of Since I've Been Loving you in my truck.

I eventually started skipping class and stayed home instead to watch the whole film, (I would listen to it while getting ready for school every day). I dropped out but a year later ended up going to Musician's Institute haha. Best decision ever!

mnutz likes this.

9. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Philly Burbs
    communication breakdown down can be played in the punk style...the dickies do a cover of it

mnutz likes this.

10. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Four Sticks by the Rollins Band

Off 'Encomium' the Zep tribute album. Sheryl Crow, Duran Duran, Hootie and the Blowfish, 4 non blondes....

Blue Bill and mnutz like this.

11. ValDiaz

ValDiaz Tele-Holic

Jan 1, 2014
    Glasgow, UK
    The double disc 'Live at the BBC' has some great stuff on it.

Anode100 likes this.

12. beninma

beninma Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Only one I've learned is Living Loving Maid, that one is fun to play as well.

I was a teenager in the 90s (turned 13 in 1990).. didn't get really into Led Zeppelin till I went to college, where my roommate and I left that 1995 Box Set on repeat for most of sophomore year. I'm thinking if you were a teenager in the 80s you were WAY late to the party.

An awful lot of the songs seem like they sound worse than they are because they're actually multiple simpler guitar parts overdubbed on top of each other.

Probably time for me to try and learn another one. I'm pretty sure my teacher knows almost all of their songs.

Still very weird, every single junior high + high school dance/prom whatever that I went to ended with "Stairway to Heaven", and that was close to 20 years after Zeppelin had finished. We didn't really know what was going on with that song. I don't have any older brothers or sisters who would have gotten me into LZ earlier, and my parents were so far into the Singer Songwriter & "soft" stuff in the 70s that they totally missed Led Zeppelin somehow. I have NO idea how that happened as they were exactly the right age, and my dad does have the oddball heavier LP, like he's still got his original copy of "Inna Gatta Da Vida" that he bought right away when it came out. How did you buy that and totally miss Led Zeppelin?

mnutz likes this.

13. Discreetb4u

Discreetb4u TDPRI Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    :oops: what the???

Flakey and mnutz like this.

14. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

Jul 26, 2008
    Sedalia, MO
    Start at side one, cut one, album one.....progress through catalog. So much fun to play. Page has the perfect RNR attitude in his electric playing.

mnutz likes this.

15. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

Physical Graffiti, III, Houses of the Holy and Presence are where it's at.

I and II and ZoSo are also where it's at.

It's all so so so good.

Nobody has gotten it right the way they did since them.

It all just sounds like Free or AC/DC or something which is NOT the same.

Jakeboy and mnutz like this.

16. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    I was lucky enough to see them 3 times. They're still one of my all-time faves. Even though it's Jason Bonham (rather than the original Bonzo) on drums, see if you can get "Celebration Day" on DVD. It was a getting together many years after they'd split. All a few years older but the beauty is that the sound recording is so much better than it was for some of the original era material.

There's also a double CD or Early and Later years with most of their hits / most commonly played tracks. Great as an introduction.

Welcome to Zep.....

mnutz and Humscruddle like this.

17. Arafel

Arafel TDPRI Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Denver
    Get the live DVD Led Zeppelin, put the second disk on, go to Knebworth, and listen to Achilles' Last Stand. Then go listen to the studio version on Presence and see how Page constructed his guitar army.

Fun fact: Barracuda by Heart is pretty much a blatant ripoff of the galloping rhythm of Achilles, and the Wilson sisters even acknowledged that.

songtalk, mnutz and Stratohacker like this.

18. Stratohacker

Stratohacker Tele-Meister

Apr 18, 2013
    California
    So many great Zep song out there. I think the reason the videos lack a focus on Jimmy's playing is because of Plant, Bonham, and Jones, so much going on and the directors aren't thinking about what musicians want to see when they're filming these things. On the plus side there are a ton of lessons on youtube.

The Ocean

Whole Lotta Love

mnutz likes this.

19. Stratohacker

Stratohacker Tele-Meister

Apr 18, 2013
    California
    If you want to slow things down a bit.

tap4154 and mnutz like this.

20. Paully

Paully Tele-Meister

May 29, 2014
    Lewiston Maine USA
    If you're diggin' Zep, check out these kids.
    Heavy L.Z. Influence.

MickM and Ooba Tooba like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.