Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Led Zeppelin- I'm a few years late to the party.

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by mnutz, Sep 20, 2017.

1. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Holic

I was a teenager in the 80s, and I hated all 70s rock music. Well I did listen to some 70s punk, but that's it. I hated Zeppelin, Stones, Who, etc. etc.

I don't know why but all of a sudden in 2017 I decided that I dig Zeppelin. I just started this week working my way through Black Dog and Rock and Roll. What fun songs to play!

What other Zep tunes should I check out? Anyone have links to good quality vids that show Page's playing? I've been searching YouTube and finding a lot of crappy videos.

Thanks!

2. krowbot

krowbot Tele-Meister

Oct 15, 2009
    Hanford, California
    You need to watch "The Song Remains The Same" if you haven't yet. I knew of Led Zeppelin from my parents and all that, but it wasn't until I watched them perform during that show that really got me into them.

Rain Song is a fun song to learn. Not quite rock n roll but a beautiful piece in my opinion.

3. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Meister

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    His playing is very, very difficult to emulate even though 90% of it is pentatonic major and minor, with a dash of mixolydian and dorian respectively.

There is so much to look into! Wanton Song has some great chord progressions, The Ocean is a dream of melody and wacky time signatures. Celebration Day, Tangerine, and Out On The Tiles are all great choices.

He does a lot with alternate tunings: Dancing Days, Black Country Woman, That's the Way, Kashmir...

The list goes on and on... they always get my vote for greatest band of all time, all four are so prolific, Page and Jones especially as multi-instrumentalists.

Rock on!

8barlouie, awasson, songtalk and 7 others like this.

4. Humscruddle

Humscruddle TDPRI Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Newton Aycliffe - UK.
    I think 'The Lemon Song' from Led Zeppelin II would be one of my favourites - it really demonstrates the skill of all four members of the band. Infact, I'd say to listen to the entire Led Zeppelin II album - it was one of my first introductions to guitar and it still blows me away today. There's a LOT of variety in his playing on the album. Plenty of Riffs as well as beautiful acoustic stuff too! 'Livin' Loving' Maid' was actually the first song I ever sat down and learned from beginning to end (rather than just learning the main riff).

I'd also have to agree with both Krowbot and Sconnie's advice. 'The Song Remains the Same' is an incredible film and I absolutely love the version of 'Since I've Been Loving You' on it. I wouldn't let yourself get bogged down by trying to emulate Page's playing note-for-note as I don't think he ever played a song the exact same way more than once.

5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

6. Ooba Tooba

Ooba Tooba Tele-Meister

Jul 10, 2017
    Toledo Ohio USA
    Look up the royal Albert hall show in 70 I think. Grabbed a few things off there. Couple of good tv appearances as well (communication breakdown, Dazed and confused) what is and what should never be, lemon song, and bring it on home are fun to play. There's a guy who has some YouTube videos on Page licks. The poster upthread is correct about Jimmy's playing. Some of it can be hard to decipher because of multi tracks, different timings, effects, and also the nature of his style. The solo in No Quarter from Song Remains the Same is epic. Along with Bonham drums (and gong).

mnutz likes this.

7. Ooba Tooba

Ooba Tooba Tele-Meister

Jul 10, 2017
    Toledo Ohio USA
    Oh yeah, babe I'm going to leave you is another fun one

8. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Physical Graffiti is the place, so many great riffs!!

8barlouie, Zepfan, Sconnie and 6 others like this.

9. Ooba Tooba

Ooba Tooba Tele-Meister

Jul 10, 2017
    Toledo Ohio USA

10. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Holic

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm diggin' it!

Keep 'em comin'!

11. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    If you get the chance, listen to some old Chess records compilations. - you will recognise passages of lead Page lifted whollus-bolus.. English teens like McCartney, Harrison, Keef and Mick, Ronnie, Eric and Page were turned on to Black Blues - often they couldn't see what the original artists were playing so they invented chording and fingerings which have gone on to be replicated. Page and Plant also lifted stuff -quite often uncredited - like Babe I'm Gonna Leave You from Annie Bredon and the London beat jazz scene where people did willingly share and use each other's stuff. As they reissue more stuff, credits to other artists are starting to appear on the back catalogue, because people have woken up to the bread they made. I think Taurus' Stairway claim was full of it, though.

The Lemon Song is Robert Johnson - one of the few they willingly gave a credit along with Willie Dixon on the original album- I Can't Quit You, Whole Lotta Love, Black Mountain Side is Bert Jansch. When the Levvee Breaks is Mississippi Minnie.

Now, I have to say for an adaptor and arranger Page is pretty much without peer. He produced Sunshine Superman and a ream of hits for Donovan and played on many of them. Same with JPJ. And as performers yep - massively talented. Annoyingly so. If you can't make tab sound like the original it's probably because of alternative tuning.

Just maybe not quite so original as we all first thought.

I've seen a few versions of Stairway some played on alternate tunings - I think on The Song Remains The Same the outakes (it was recorded over 3 nights at Madison Square) some of the outtakes that appear on the Mothership DVD and elsewhere are better than what was in the film.

Plant's background as a rocker really comes to the fore on some stuff, like Boogie With Stu.

I actually love LZ III not only for that amazing Hipgnosis pinwheel cover but for the great country slide flavourings like Hats Off For Roy Harper, and That's The Way and Bron y Aur stomp. I think Physical Graffiti is the most original album and minor masterpiece - least derivative. I do love Hot Dog off Coda - Page doing bender Tele.

I think Unledded was a fantastic tour - you got to see hallmark stuf deconstructed like Kashmir with the Moroccan orchestra and souk singers. Walking into Clarkdale too - fascinating journeymen prequel to Zep.

Plus no-one - maybe Mick - postures like Plant.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017

12. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Kashmir. :cool:
    Put your Tele in DADGAD tuning and let it rip.

Praxis and mnutz like this.

13. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2006
    Singapore
    "Good times, bad times" is deceptively easy; likewise for "living loving maid (she's just a woman)

awasson, Stratohacker and mnutz like this.

14. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    Zep IV was the soundtrack of a lot of fun ...

15. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    Their entire catalog was part of the soundtrack of my own teen years (in the eighties, same as the OP). I learned quite a few of their songs back in the day.

mnutz likes this.

16. Humscruddle

Humscruddle TDPRI Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Newton Aycliffe - UK.
    Wow, I've not watched this for a couple of years. By god, I'd forgotten just how ferocious Bonzo's playing was! Especially during Dazed and Confused. Incredible. Such a great video. Thanks for posting it! :)

Ooba Tooba and mnutz like this.

17. krowbot

krowbot Tele-Meister

Oct 15, 2009
    Hanford, California
    Since I've Been Loving you on Song Remains The Same is THE best version of that song in my opinion. You are all my brothers now.

ponce, Praxis, mnutz and 1 other person like this.

18. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Holic

Yeah thanks for this! I'd never seen any vids of Page playing the tele.

Ooba Tooba likes this.

19. Humscruddle

Humscruddle TDPRI Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Newton Aycliffe - UK.
    Oh god don't get me started on how much I love this song! I'm going to have to go and watch the DVD now, haha! Those first few notes of the opening guitar solo which Page plays just before the drums come in. Wow. Talk about suspense! I have always praised Page's playing on this song but it baffles me that so much power and emotion can come from just four musicians. Truly incredible.

awasson, krowbot and mnutz like this.

20. Sparky2

Sparky2 Tele-Meister

Apr 15, 2017
    Harvest, Alabama
    Kashmir.

I can show you how to play it in standard tuning, in the key of D, and it sings really well.

:)

mnutz likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.