Leave humbucker in neck or put original pup back in?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Tim Disney, May 14, 2019.

1. Tim Disney

Tim Disney TDPRI Member

Hey everybody, just looking for opinions on what to do with an American Professional Tele that I'd like to sell in the not-too-distant future. If I'm posting in the wrong place, let me know!

So a little more than a year ago I posted about buying this guitar, and I did! And it's great, but I just built a partscaster and I like it so much that I want to do it again. It's an American professional Tele in Olympic white with a rosewood board and I switched out the neck pickup with a Seymour Duncan jazz humbucker. Turns out what I really want is an esquire (so I'm gonna build one), but to finance it I'll have to sell the American professional.

So long story short, I was wondering what the consensus is on trying to sell it with the humbucker installed or if it would be better to revert back to the stock pickup to try to sell it. Either way I'll include both pickups when I sell. What do you think?

2. Red Bread

Red Bread Tele-Meister

Id leave it if both pick ups go with the guitar anyway
    Let the purchaser decide,or see what happens anyway

As for building another partscaster,thats alot of fun and a great way to really understand your equipment and make it the way you want it
    That said,,,,you already own the Teley,,why not use that as your platform and mod it how you want it

3. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Holic

Revert to stock and keep the humbucker for another project down the line. I suspect that most people looking for an Am Pro want it stock and most won't have the skills to change the pickup themselves.

Flaneur and Teleterr like this.
  4. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Yes. I ve done ebay actually giving p-up combo choices. If anything that squashes interest. Standard is what people want, unless its a mod done by someone famous, and even that would have nay sayers.

5. Tim Disney

Tim Disney TDPRI Member

Thanks for the advice Red! I really like the MJT body I used in the partscaster, and I'm craving another. Plus I realized I like a much thinner neck than the professional has. I'd rather it go to a good home than mess with it too much because it is a beautiful guitar. I'm kinda hankering for a double-bound body. I've also already got an American special that I love.

6. Tim Disney

Tim Disney TDPRI Member

And thanks for the other responses guys! This is good advice.

7. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Another option would be to convert the guitar you already know and love to an esquire at very low cost. The market for used guitars is very soft and you may be disappointed in how much money you get, although it being an American Fender helps quite a bit.

Tim Disney and dougstrum like this.
  8. Fullmoon07

Fullmoon07 Tele-Meister

Put a Vintage Stack in the neck, it uses the classic chrome Tele pu cover , but houses a mini humbucker underneath!

9. Red Bread

Red Bread Tele-Meister

I have a vintage stack set in my #1
    My favorite teley pick up
    But its not teley humbuckerish
    As in the classic super bright sense in my opinion
    I get alot more of that sound from a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails in the brigde of my one strat or the railed Dimarzio single in my other strat
    One of my teleys i have set up with a hot rails in the neck and a little 59 in the bridge and i wish i did it the other way round

It all depends on the sound your going for
    If you like gain and fuzz the hot rails or a little 59 is better suited
    In my opinion of course

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.