Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Leaked Fender 2018 images

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Aaron1061, Jan 12, 2018.

1. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Meister

Jun 2, 2015
    Arkansas

2. Chip

Chip Tele-Afflicted

Feb 25, 2005
    Northfield Center, Ohio
    IMG_3346.JPG
    The primary colors are orange & brown, reminds of.....

IMG_3347.PNG

3. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Meister

Jun 2, 2015
    Arkansas
    Sonicsmitty, I don't know what line of work you are in, but if your job is ever outsourced to Korea I guess your response will be "what does in matter?"

4. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Sep 20, 2005
    Kansas City
    That was their law about clothing - and you will notice that it states that California relaxed the regulation for clothing to 5% non-USA content; they allowed higher non-USA content for other goods. Then in 2016 they applied that 5% regulation (or 10% if there are no USA substitutes for some parts/components) to all goods manufactured in California.

The American Elite models are made in the USA, as are the American Professionals and American Specials, and several of the Artist models - none of which carry a "Made in USA" on them any more - but they have more than 10% non-USA content. Fender Custom Shop will no longer say "Made in USA" either. And by the way G&L instruments no longer say "Made in USA", nor do Ernie Ball/Music Man instruments.

Gibson is not made in California - their electrics are made in Tennessee and their acoustics are made in Montana - both of which have less stringent laws than California. They have chosen to retain the "Made in USA" labeling even though consumers in California could potentially sue them for misrepresentation under the labeling law. I'm sure Henry J's attitude will be screw them, he'll countersue in Tennessee. However, Martin chickened out about taking on the laws; they no longer say "Made in USA" either; they say "Nazareth, PA" (unless you're talking about their lower-end models that are Made in Mexico).

I wonder what the Maryland laws are - PRS has never put a "Made in USA" on their USA models with the exception of instruments with their pre-CITES Brazilian rosewood that have a handwritten "For Sale In USA Only" message on the back of the headstock.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018

5. PCollen

PCollen Tele-Afflicted

May 7, 2010
    Man of the World

Collect them all...I wonder if Fender will ever have a "Buy One, Get the 2nd One 50% OFF" deal. To me, it seems like Fender is just throwing crap against the wall to see if it sticks.

telemnemonics likes this.

6. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    I'm thinking this is all an elaborate hoax. Anybody could have photoshopped these new models.

maggieo and xafinity like this.

7. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    I've been to PRS quite a few times, as they're not that far from me and I've gotten a few guitars there. I'm not a big PRS fan but they have one factory making the PRS branded instruments and it's in Maryland.

They make the guitars and pickups there with a combination of CNC and some hand work. I remember years ago the hardware was made in New Hampshire, I think they're made in Japan now.

Rickenbacker build guitars in California and they say Made in USA right on the truss rod cover. Seeing as how Ric and Fender's USA guitars are in the same price range I'm not buying Fender's explanation.

8. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

Mar 9, 2017
    The Peach State
    I will check it out when it arrives at the stores!.:D

MahoganyStratDZ likes this.

9. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

Mar 9, 2017
    The Peach State
    Oh I love the cream Strato Tele

10. MahoganyStratDZ

MahoganyStratDZ Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2012
    USA
    Id play this in a heartbeat.....

TeleAndSG likes this.

11. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    All these mash-ups look like the product of trying to come up with new designs when you can't come up with new designs.

I think they're all hideous. These components and shapes were designed to go together in a certain way, and they're recombined in clumsy, ugly ways. Lines are fighting each other. Randomly mixing components and shapes is a recipe for guaranteed bad design.

And then I saw that Bugatti. Yikes. Is there no taste left in the world? No, there isn't.
    [/FULL CURMUDGEON]

El Tele Lobo likes this.

12. SonsOfMoog

SonsOfMoog Tele-Meister

Jul 22, 2017
    US
    That jaguar strat reminds me of the car Homer designed. 1515941782380.jpg

13. TheletterJ

TheletterJ Tele-Afflicted

Aug 13, 2014
    Rochester, NY
    Yes!!

14. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2012
    Sou Cal
    Today, if you have a job that can be performed by anyone with just a little training, then you will eventually be outsourced to a country that it can be made cheaper.
    Guitars are not rocket science, they can be built anywhere.
    Quality is a matter of process, and management designs the process.
    If they skip steps to save money, it shows in the product.
    If they included operations that improves the feel or appearance of the item, we perceive this as quality.
    If the fret ends are hand filed and polished smooth, we see and feel the difference and we think that if they have taken the time to polish the fret ends, then they no doubt have gone all out on everything else.
    OTOH, if Gibson starts eliminating steps in the building process to save money, we see this as Gibson quality going to hell.
    If a guitar maker goes to another country and starts building flawless guitars because they can afford to include operation that will be perceived as higher quality, and can sell them cheaper, what difference does it make which countries they build them in?
    If we’re talking about jobs, that’s a different issue, this is about guitars.
    All guitar makers are struggling with the issue of balancing their quality and profitability, nothing new there.
    With so many countries with much lower pay scales competing with each other to bring more manufacturing to their country the USA is almost out of the running.
    IMO, the one thing that we have going for us is, the built in USA is still recognized as higher quality.
    If you’re going to build guitars in the USA, then they should be flawless, and let the market sort it out.
    If people want a flawless guitar, built in the USA, then they know there is a price for that.
    We will never succeed in a race to the bottom, Made in USA should be a race to the top, who can build the finest guitars on earth, and let those who are willing to pay the premium price for such a guitar have a place to spend their money.

bottlenecker and El Tele Lobo like this.

15. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    Needs some Gretsch knobs… And a Rockin F cattle brand in the upper left corner...

Otherwise, I love it!

16. KnopflerStyle

KnopflerStyle Tele-Holic

Jun 22, 2005
    BA
    I prefer all new models than mixing them. Nothing that i need to buy with that pics.

17. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Sep 20, 2005
    Kansas City
    I've owned a few PRS guitars over the years; I was just kind of curious about the labeling laws in Maryland because PRS has never put a "Made in USA" on their models. The PRS CE24 and the S2 models use the same MIK bridges that the SE models use; I'm not sure where the current PRS trems from the Core series are made now; the original one-piece trems were made by a guy named Mann in New Hampshire (who still makes aftermarket bridges, including the original PRS-style bridge).

I think it comes down to advice from lawyers - as I said EBMM and G&L have done what Fender did by removing the "Made in USA"; Rickenbacker is probably confident they have enough USA content since they make almost everything in-house, plus they don't have an import line. Other smaller builders that have stuck with the "Made in USA", like Suhr - even though they have foreign-made bridges and tuners - don't have an import line. Schecter's president put up an open letter about this back in 2016 that was still on their website the last time I looked at it (about 6 weeks ago - I still have a think for their USA PT Tele-styles) and Schecter of course makes most of their money from their imports; their USA Custom Shop is pretty small.

Of course Fender's always going to be questioned when they do something like this - they do have a history of "no country of origin" instruments (made with MIJ bodies and neck but not labeled as such) in the late 1980s/early 1990s like the HM Strats.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018

18. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    But fender is way bigger and sells more guitars than Rick. And growing is the goal of every business. Not keeping company identity and product quality. Grow! Bigness! Because.

Maybe businessmen get into business because they have no ideas beyond liking money. It seems like they just blow bubbles until they pop over and over.

I wish I could like PRS, but their guitars are like Celine Dion's voice to me. I just can't like it no matter how technically good it is. It's a bad flavor to me.

I personally really like some Japanese guitars, more than PRS. I consider the japanese to be the best mass producers of things in the world. I have no problem with japanese fenders, but it's sad if they won't still make them here also.

Edit: I would really, really like a Rick 330. Everyone go buy rickenbackers and save the world. You don't have to play Beatles songs on them. It's just a guitar.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018

19. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement
    Do all of you "BUY AMERICAN"s buy 100% made in USA computers and TVs and cars?

Smiff likes this.

20. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

Nov 2, 2015
    Sinsinnasti
    The Fender CS did a limited run of the Tele with Strat pups a few years back. They even used that same pickguard.

The only difference I can see is the CS model used vintage tuners. The CS model was also finished in nitro. I'm guessing this new one will be poly. :(

I'd really like to find one of those original CS models in CAR but they never show up. That run was very limited.

May have to check one of these out. I could easily swap out the tuners for some Gotoh vintage staggered. :twisted:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.