Lead vs. Rhythm guitar.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cheap guitar guy, May 14, 2019.

1. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Meister

I say this a lot, but I think the clear demarcation between rhythm and lead depends on the style of music. For example, most of the country bands I’ve been in have been quite strict about it. Blues bands, not so much.

Unlike the cat in the video, you won’t often catch me not playing for more than a measure or two, unless I am purposely dropping out for a section of the form. There is almost always a harmony line, a counterline or unorthodox chord voicing to offer up. Usually only if the texture is super thick and sloppy am I gonna completely drop out to flex my pecks for the crowd. Lol, j/k....I do that every other chorus! =)

Beyond solos, lead guitarists are also expected to play fills on a lot of tunes (if no one else already is.) You gotta wait for the vocalist takes a breath then play a short complimentary phrase then ends as the vocals come back in. Call and response works well for that. It can really distract a vocalist if you are contastantly noodling while they are singing. Wait for a space.

In jazz, you are expected to be able to weave the lead and rhythm playing. There aren’t a whole lotta Freddie Green types, running around grinding out four-to-the-floor fat chords for a living.

I don’t play a lot of metal, but in that video the rhythm player was playing more horizontal (linear) than vertical (chordal). I wonder if that is pretty standard? Guessing there aren’t so many cowboy chords in metal. Rhythm guitar playing can start to sound a lot like lead playing when they are both playing lines (single notes).

2. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Holic

I didn’t realize till the end that it was the same guy! It was fun to watch

SAguitar and Flat6Driver like this.
  3. Cheap guitar guy

Cheap guitar guy Tele-Meister

A lot of power chords in the metal genre. Power chords meaning say E and A string played together highly distorted to sound what like you describe as a traditional chord but lower and heavier.

4. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Ditto

5. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, yeah, I get the whole new age notion that there is no distinction between anything anymore, but...c'mon, there is lead guitar and there is rhythm guitar.

6. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

It was? I will have to fire up my other laptop and watch that again (work proxy won't allow YouTube or other video sites).

7. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

When you hit 60, as we remove you from the street we'll be sure to let you know we're doing it for your own good. You're easily confused and shouldn't be unsupervised. :D

Flat6Driver likes this.
  8. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

I think a lot of people don't understand that what makes EVH great (and, by extension, his band) isn't his crazy impressive tapping- it's his riffs. In his prime the man was an unstoppable riff machine, and that's what really propelled Van Halen to greatness.

SAguitar, Telecaster88 and MilwMark like this.
  9. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Holic

And that sound. Like a 747 taking off.

10. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

If it was a beautiful girl (or even a good looking one) I'm sure you would have a different conversation.

At church, the "lead guitar" is the guy to my right that plays 12 string. His rhythm "leads" the song and we all follow. Looks nothing like those guitars in the video, but it is black. :)

11. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have hit 60, and I have no problem with your assertion.

12. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Ooh. Played it again at home, expanded to full screen, and @Toadtele is right. Same dude. I did not see the split line on the screen in the small window.

13. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Holic

post deleted by me

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  14. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

^^^ This. :cool:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.