Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Lawyer saturated South

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by william tele, Feb 15, 2017 at 12:14 PM.

1. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    whoah, whoahh, I mean woahh, there, pardner, first you're pointing out someone who uses "lawyer" and "ethics" in the same sentence and now, you're the one using "lawyer" and "dogs" in the same sentence?

oh, bad dog stoops to new lows...good thing my dogs can't read like Toto...I mentioned it to my dog and this was the look he gave me..

Gibson Av2.jpg

Lawyers do make easy targets of themselves and for that reason, I generally resist, because dangnabbit, my sainted mother, may she rest in peace, instilled a certain amount of intent to commit fairness in me, but your post about billboards did bring one particular one to mind, that I pass frequently on I-10. And of course, with the vast reach of the intermess, I was able to find a picture:

we sue lawyers v2.jpg

ah, the meta world we live in...the story I heard is that an "uncivilized' tribe deep in the Amazon, upon hearing what "civilization" is, describes the humans involved as "termite people". Just chewing up everything in our path.

william tele likes this.
  2. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Man, you called me on that and sometimes I just have to shut the heck up and quit digging the hole any deeper. To use lawyer and dog in the same sentence is bad enough, but to draw a direct comparison is unforgivable.

To pay penance and as an act of flagellation I'm going to grab a high E string and jam it under my fingernail a few times. Please let your dogs know I deeply apologize.

I try seriously to not be serious when I talk about lawyers. It's pretty rare to make it through life without calling on one of these fellows to save your bacon...so I agree with not getting too jiggy with lawyer damnation...

And yes, we chew through everything in our path...and when we've been long gone for a billion years the earth will just go "Humans?". "Oh yeah, they lasted about two seconds...didn't really even notice!"

Toto'sDad and teletimetx like this.
  3. xafinity

xafinity Tele-Afflicted

Dec 24, 2015
    USA
    "as an act of flagellation"
    Can we do that on this forum?
    without getting flagged? yikes
    !

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    ...jamming stuff under your fingernails is a little overboard - I'd say just share a little more bacon next time you can and I'm sure the dog you share it with will be most appreciative...

william tele likes this.
  6. This can get out of hand, IMO.

In Maryland, driving any limited access road, the policy makers worked overtime to eliminate any imaging that might tell a passerby that there's a quality gas station or Popeye's right there by the exit ramp. They expect you to do one of two things instead:

1) bury your face in your small PC thingie to find whether there's a gas station there, or not (bear in mind gas stations are rapidly being decommissioned, with fewer, fancier ones in only certain locations); or

2) try to rely on the small Gov't highway signs which suggest fuel or a hospital or a chain eatery might be nearby. But you have to get off to find out if the place is there and often the "gas station" is miles off the exit across from The Projects and you'd be insane to try to pump gas (no attendant, are you joking?).

Sometimes that large obnoxious SHELL sign means a young unaccompanied woman can get refueled safely, and without it, she might be raped and killed.

The advantages of no signage are oversold, IMO.

7. This is the look Daisy gives me when we've just hiked 10 miles and I give her water and a treat.

Cute dog; doesn't appear to disapprove of anything.

+

Anyway, these WE SUE LAWYERS adverts are proof, I think, that the real evil is in the client who wants a traditional lawyer to do something inappropriate and when he won't, the unscrupulous client hires some fool who has a huge school debt bill to pay and can't make the rent and so he takes The Devil's Case and when he cannot deliver the inappropriate result (the system won't allow it), these WE SUE LAWYERS vultures swoop in to make a claim against the fool's professional liability policy.

None of this would be necessary if the scum of the world had to accept "No" when the first 3 lawyers the scum talked to politely told the scum to let it go.

8. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 28, 2006
    Hotlanta, GA
    Well, for all the talk about lawyers, I still have not met any as unethical and corrupt as big corporations are. I have crossed paths with some that were scuzzy and I have read bout disbarments of and criminal and civil cases against others that were scuzzy. But law schools are spending more time on teaching ethics than business schools are. Just read the headlines about Wells Fargo, GM, and Takata.

I know the attorneys that pursued the first and second Melton case against GM for the defective switch that would disrupt airbag operation. A whistleblower came forward from the inside to tell the truth that they had long known about the problem, regarded it as "the switch from hell," had modified the part and shipped the modified part with the same part number to conceal the change, and concealed the facts in the first suit that Melton's parents filed. They buried everything to avoid a recall to replace all the switches in every affected vehicle and decided that it would be cheaper just to pay the claims for the injuries and deaths.

https://www.law360.com/articles/536967/gm-hid-evidence-to-secure-settlement-suit-says

Takata manufactures airbags and dominated the market based on price, and could deliver at that price my using an accelerant that they knew was too dangerous. But their internal memos indicated that they could not make a change and pass the cost on to customers because it would cost them their dominant market share. They knowingly allowed people to get hurt, and NHTSA imposed its largest fine ever against Takata last fall.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/press-release...-nhtsa-history-takata-violating-motor-vehicle

Then there is the talcum powder cases against Johnson & Johnson and other companies selling talc. When I heard about the cases and the verdicts, I wondered how the heck baby powder caused cancer. I have seen the more probative and sensational internal documents that were introduced at trial. J&J knew for 45 years that talcum powder was dangerous. They knew it contained considerable levels of magnesium and had pathology reports on tumors cut open to reveal a concentration of talc and magnesium. Their marketing and sales documents had SWOT type analyses on them, and the cancer risk was listed on them. Nonetheless, there was money to be made, and they pressed on with it.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money...j-talcum-baby-powder-ovarian-cancer/92878176/

9. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 28, 2006
    Hotlanta, GA
    There would be a lot less litigation and jail time in our society if people were honest.

10. There would be a lot less litigation if certain folks were less litigious! Some folks sue they way others eat popcorn.

11. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I just posted a string of laughing heads to your comment about dogs. Toto on the other hand was researching you family history and other relevant events in your past to offer up by way of retaliation. He calmed down down quite a bit after reading your above post, and I asked him to go easy on Uncle Willie. ( I also gave him a double rasher of treats). He's good.

william tele likes this.
  12. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I've seen some funny signs by the road, down south.
    Like "DAYCARE AND BAITSHOP"
    Also while passing through the town of Little Yazoo, I saw a sign "LIQUOR LITTLE YAZOO"

william tele likes this.
  13. william tele

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    :)
    OK...this is Missouri and we'd like to think that we are southern for all the good stuff...

I was looking for a particular spring powered air rifle. None of the gunshops or sporting goods stores carried it. I finally found it at Lee's Summit Drug and Gun. Yep...a pharmacy that sells guns. It was a block up from the drive through liquor store.

Please pass the possum' grits...

14. Poplar Bluff is the South.

Doniphan is the South.

How could a place called Cabool not be in the South?

Branson is even the South.

Kansas City? Not The South; not even the Southern part of KC is The South.

Do people say Missourah in KC? Tell us the truth; we can handle it!

william tele likes this.
  15. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Holic

I have it on good authority that there were a few other factors as well.:lol:

16. dkmw

dkmw Tele-Holic

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    Hey, now I've gotten around to actually reading the new Dave Barry book I mentioned earlier - and look what I found right there on p 43, in a list titles ''Facts about Florida Today":

''Currently, the number one industry in Florida is attorneys on billboards asking if you have been in an accident, followed by tourism, reptile sales and buttock enhancement."

So there you have it, on good authority, that there really is something to this....

william tele likes this.
  17. /thread

william tele likes this.
  18. william tele

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Yes, Boris...THEY do. Me? I'm from Nebraska, the land of no audible alterations or added inflections to the spoken word...:) The "anti-accent" if you will.

Yes, they say MissourAH and they seem proud of it...I just refer to it as a speech impediment.:lol:

19. william tele

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Well, it's nice to know I wasn't hallucinating all those billboards but did you really need to share my reason for being down there? :eek:

dkmw likes this.
  20. dkmw

dkmw Tele-Holic

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    ^ please refer all questions to my counsel.

william tele likes this.
  21. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    Personal injury claims are seen as a way to make money by the less fortunate and uneducated.

Sorry to be brusque but that what I see from the insurance industry.

I hire lawyers all the time. I live between D.C. and Baltimore I see who does and doesn't try and use our tort system for personal gain.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.