lawnmower problems

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by guitarmoron, May 18, 2019.

1. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

My #1 annual service item is removing and cleaning the float bowl before the piston moves in the spring. I drain it in the fall and all of the gas in the tank goes in the log splitter or snow blower.

guitarmoron and Milspec like this.
  2. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Ethanol is just nasty stuff. My Brother is a marine mechanic and I have seen some crazy stuff in boat motors due to using ethanol blended fuels. I don't even burn it in my vehicles, have to drive out of my way to find a pump that isn't blended with ethanol, but it is worth it. I think it was one of the worst scams pulled on the auto market. You get less fuel economy and damage from ethanol blends....how is that a benefit?

3. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Out in the yard today I realized I don’t need a lawnmower anymore, cuz there’s no more lawn left.

Wildcard_35 and guitarmoron like this.
  4. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Just bought a battery powered lawn mower. My 20 year old gas powered worked without ever draining the carburater or fuel thank and with ethanol containing gasoline. Put it in the shed the last day of fall take it out in the spring , crank it, and it’s good to go. I don’t know what kind of engines you guys buy that require so much maintenance.

stratofortress and guitarmoron like this.
  5. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

It's not the engines....it's the blend of fuels in the US

6. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Really! That sux

7. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

You have contaminated fuel. Drain the tank & refill with fresh, new fuel. If the problem persists, then you have hard deposits in the cylinder which get hot & cause the engine to misfire as soon as the fuel hits it. Backfire is 100% a product of incorrect timing, and nothing else. It has nothing to do with any leaks or mixture. I do not believe there is enough adjustment play with the magneto on those engines to cause that significant of an issue for it to be timing, especially if it fires and starts. You described the engine as able to start, but not maintain RPM. If it were a carburation, plug, or magneto issue, it likely wouldn't start at all. Me? I have an FAA mechanic certificate with a specialty as an engine machinist, and have seen more than a few filthy engines...

guitarmoron likes this.
  8. Intubator

Intubator TDPRI Member

Bawlmer, MD- Home of the "Mayor Shuffle"...
    Truth is ethanol is bad for all fuel systems for any engine especially the engines made before it was introduced (forced upon consumers), but hard to get around it these days unless you live by a race track or have a way to get private aviation fuel... Some times there are Sunoco stations that have it, maybe others as well. For small engines I have made a habit of always use hi octane fuel like 93 and when the trimming/lawn mowing season ends I add Stabil to a FULL tank of gas, as mentioned. So far this works for me. Prior to that strategy, I used to run each engine dry at the end of the season and that worked but I had encountered a few carb leaks the following spring where the gaskets apparently dried out from the lack of fuel.

Piggy Stu and guitarmoron like this.
  9. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

No need to, the Battery is Pan-Pnumaticless.

guitarmoron and Bones like this.
  10. guitarmoron

guitarmoron Tele-Meister

Update, runs better., when it starts to die. I pull out choke a little for 30 seconds and it stops running rough? What does that mean?

11. bazmusicman

bazmusicman Tele-Meister

If you have to open the choke when the engine has warmed up it means that the fuel mix is too lean.....you need to open the mixture screw on the carb a LITTLE bit at a time with the HOT engine running (ie warmed up) with no choke.

This will make the mixture richer and you should hear the revs increase because of the better mixture. Do this SLOWLY until it starts to slow the revs, then SLOWLY screw it back in a little bit (about an 8th of an inch at a time) until it runs sweet. You may have to adjust the slow idle setting for a slower idle.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    guitarmoron likes this.
  12. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Reminds me of when my carb was dirty and the dirt was slowly cleaning out

Stp carb spray has been a godsend to me. If you can remove an air filter you can use carb spray

I also used some Lucas additive that claims it cleans fuel lines. Not sure if it is genuine but seems to clear some gum

Carb spray has kept a lot of engines in use that could not justify a mechanic's charge

guitarmoron likes this.
  13. simond

simond Tele-Meister

We bought a ride-on mower when we moved to the country but haven't used it for ten years. These guys do a better job. IMAG0545.jpg

14. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Is the gas tank steel? If so, then it could be rust which will be a constant recurrence. Water makes steel tanks rust. Guess what holds a lot of water. Yup, ethanol.

guitarmoron likes this.
  15. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

That would be a plugged jet in the carburetor, don't change the mixture, clean the carb. That restriction is what has been starving your motor of fuel as the volume can't keep up with the demand. As I mentioned before, modern blended fuels start to varnish at 3 weeks and it only takes a little bit to clog a jet. Most carbs never need to be adjusted, just cleaned out. Pull the carb and clean that jet or else keep running a good fuel cleaner (Chevron makes the best one) through it until it clears up.

16. guitarmoron

guitarmoron Tele-Meister

no, its plastic

I think its OK now, I mowed 2 hrs straight with no hiccups!

thanks everyone!

17. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Was there any evidence that the shop actually did anything when they had it for "service"?
    Why did you put a bunch of seafoam in the tank if it was just serviced?
    Ran badly as soon as you got it home so you dumped in the seafoam?

At least tell your friends not to use that shop, though maybe give them a chance to explain first, like maybe the new kid did it and they had no idea he sent it out barely running.

18. ppg677

ppg677 Tele-Meister

Can't decide whether to get a battery mower or not. Took me 45 minutes to mow today and reviews I read say battery times often don't match what's stated

guitarmoron likes this.
  19. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

I constantly have to remind my wife to check the Johnson rod. She blames her reluctance on mental images of George Costanza.

20. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

If it runs better after you pull the choke, it's definitely running lean, because when you pull the choke part way you are effectively cutting the air mixture, and enriching the fuel mixture. If the carburetor has a fuel mixture adjustment do as bazmusicman says, and adjust the fuel mixture.

guitarmoron and bazmusicman like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.