lawnmower problems

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by guitarmoron, May 18, 2019.

1. guitarmoron

guitarmoron Tele-Meister

I have a JD circle track mower, just got back from being serviced. I have some gas in it with a lot of SEA**AM. I added some new 100% gas on top, about 2/3 of the tank. it now backfires, stalls and dies, it will run normal for about 15 minutes. I pulled a plug and it looks fine, fuel filter has gas flowing, checked air filter. is this just the SEA burning off?

thanks

GUITARMORON/ENGINEMORON

2. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

Its possible the seafoam™ has dissolved contaminates and the engine is having hard time passing it..er...burning the deposits. It shouldn't have a problem burning the product. Its just petroleum.

Is the engine smoking?

guitarmoron and boris bubbanov like this.
  3. guitarmoron

guitarmoron Tele-Meister

No, It stopped backfiring, but still stalls

4. Intubator

Intubator TDPRI Member

Bawlmer, MD- Home of the "Mayor Shuffle"...
    Probably. Although backfiring is usually 1) a leak in the exhaust, 2) or a lean mixture (poorly adjusted, or dirty carburetor) or 3) way early or late ignition. Is your choke on? or off?. Id say dump all the fuel from the tank and fill it with good FRESH gasoline. Fire it up and let it run for a good 5-10 minutes even if backfiring and observe if it smooths out. Try with the choke on for a bit and very slowly close it until it runs smoothly. My guess is the "mechanic" poured a bunch of seafoam in to clean the fuel system without having to actually take the carb apart.... If there was alot of dirt/debris in the tank then you may be actually worse off now as the solvent has broken that stuff up and may have clogged some of the very small fuel conduits in the carb, likely causing the lean condition and the backfiring. Good luck!

FenderGuy53, guitarmoron and duzie like this.
  5. duzie

duzie Tele-Meister

Drain the tank and carburetor and try again with fresh gas .

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  6. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

I will assume the engine doesn't have too much seafoam™ in ii then. It quite possibly is something else.

guitarmoron likes this.
  7. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

What did the "service" involve?

8. rangercaster

rangercaster Friend of Leo's

Should run good if just serviced I think ???
    Ask your tech ...

guitarmoron likes this.
  9. guitarmoron

guitarmoron Tele-Meister

oil change/filter,/air filter grease,plugs fuel filter/plug

10. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Did you check the Johnson rod?

11. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's

I've been told by a small engine mechanic to not use gas that contains ethanol... That's all the help I've got to give today.

Jimmy Owen and guitarmoron like this.
  12. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I just switched to battery operated mower, so I have nothing for you

13. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

Possible gummed up carb, improper air/gas mix, or too much seafoam
    That’s the best I have. Good luck

Piggy Stu and guitarmoron like this.
  14. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

If it stalls....it is due to lack of fuel reaching the chamber. Sure, there can be other problems to mimic that, but it is the right answer 90% of the time. The solution on small engines is always to drain the tank, fuel lines, and fuel bowl if it has one. Refill with non-ethanol blended fuel and you will be good to go. On small engines, ethonal blends are a bad idea as they collect moisture. Blended fuels of today also start to turn to varnish in 3 weeks so you should never leave fuel in there for a long period.

Just drain and go....it will be fine

15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Some small engine mechanics consider it very bad form to return a machine that won't run well. While others just do all the tasks on the punch list, get paid and never actually give any attention to getting the motor where it will start well, run well and do its job well. That's why I'm inclined to just do the job myself so nobody overlooks the big picture.

Dear Mr. Mechanic: I doubt you'll be in business long if you lose track of why you were hired in the first place.

+

Example: I replaced all the tie rod ends, arm bushings, ball joints, springs, struts, bellows, bump stops, sway bar links and what have you on the front suspension on the '01 Saab 9-5. Next I'll do the same sort of thing for the back suspension. THEN it will go to the alignment shop where the real expertise is to be found. This is the real core, crux aspect of a tire shop and it is worth every dime. The rest of this stuff I did is easy-peasys stuff we could teach 12 year olds to do. Sounds like this "mechanic" did all the drudge stuff but forgot about why any of those things matter.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    Piggy Stu and guitarmoron like this.
  16. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

Every gallon of gas in my cans (gensets, weedeater, chainsaws, etc) gets an application of Stabil. I also drain the carb every time I can. Weedeater & saws aren’t always drained every time but so far I’ve never had a problem

Intubator, guitarmoron and Milspec like this.
  17. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Yup, that is the way to go. Seafoam actually works as well as Stabil in my experience, but either way.

18. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's

10-15% ethanol destroys small engine carburetors. I switched to non-ethanol gasoline a few years back and haven't had any engine problems with my lawn equipment since.

Piggy Stu, Jimmy Owen and guitarmoron like this.
  19. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

guitarmoron likes this.
  20. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

yeah look what ethanol did to mine.....:rolleyes::lol:

small bits of metal sucked into an engine can destroy it as well.... fortunately the screw embedded itself in the head.. and the brass half of the shaft was never seen again?... I gave it a good cleaning and check for any more bits floating around, found none.. so I put it back together with new gaskets.. and a new carby for 25 bucks off ebay...

set the valves, fueled it up.. and it started and ran straight away.... sweet.... left it for a week.. no oil leaks... then started it again and mowed the yard... no smoke or oil spewing out anywhere.. job done..

I'd hate to think what a mechanic would have charged.... think I spent 18 on gaskets and 25 for the carby probably only took an hour or so to fix it all up....

DSCN2105.JPG

screw in head.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.