Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Laugh if you must, but...

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Peter Rabbit, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Peter Rabbit

Peter Rabbit Tele-Holic

Sep 17, 2009
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Would I be correct in thinking that the reason that a DPDT won't work is because whenever the switch is set to parallel, the series is automatically disconnected, and vice-versa, due to a lack of lugs?

If so, I'm getting closer to understanding.

So, I ordered some 3PDT on/on - I trust they'll do the trick (if I can fit them into a Tele body)

Peter

2. Peter Rabbit

Peter Rabbit Tele-Holic

Sep 17, 2009
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    OK!

So I've tried converting Mr. Atchley's schematic into a diagram:

[​IMG]

Is this even close? Some parts of it look like they'll work, some don't.

Does the lug numbering on Mr. Atchley's schematic match the numbering on my diagram?

Whotcha think?

Peter

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010

3. Peter Rabbit

Peter Rabbit Tele-Holic

Sep 17, 2009
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Howdy!

[​IMG]

This looks like it should do what I want.

CC: IF it works, can I replicate P2 for making P3 and P4?

This last step is the thing keeping me from assembling this gooeytar. (well, some routing and maybe one or two small questions left)

Any comments / criticisms?

Peter

4. Peter Rabbit

Peter Rabbit Tele-Holic

Sep 17, 2009
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Yo, yo, CC, yo, C, yo.

Will this do the trick?

[​IMG]

I based it on your circuits as well as Mr. Atchley's - It's looking good to me (which means nothing), howzaboudchoozguyz? Am I finally done with this part?

Peter

5. Peter Rabbit

Peter Rabbit Tele-Holic

Sep 17, 2009
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Hi folks!

I can't believe that nobody has anything further to add to this thread!

So I will. When I look at the DPDT ser/par switch just after all the 3PDTs and before the vol/tone circuit, it seems to choose EITHER the series OR the parallel circuit. How do I get an AND situation?

Still tryin'

Peter

-----------------

Grasshopper walks into a bar.
    Bartender: Wow - we have a drink named after you!
    Grasshopper: Really? You have a drink named Steve?!?

6. Peter Rabbit

Peter Rabbit Tele-Holic

Sep 17, 2009
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Hi everybody!

Just thought I'd resurrect this thread and show what I've been thinking:
    [​IMG]

Thinking about putting treble bleeds on the 5 individual volume pots.

As you can see, I've gone with cc's recommendation of 4PDT switches and,of course, it will work. But I'm still not happy with the DPDT 'master S/P' switching. I'm sure that I've simply not understood the schematic.

I'm trying to be able to get the Ser AND Par to work together, so that I could have (1+2+5)*(4*5), for example.

What do you think so far?

Peter
    ------------

Favorite country song titles: Mammy, hand me the hammer, there's a fly on Pappy's head

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010

7. newtwanger

newtwanger Blackguardian. Ad Free + Supporter

Feb 11, 2007
    Quebec, Canada
    Time to stop with the thinking and start with the doing. :D

I wanna see it!

8. Peter Rabbit

Peter Rabbit Tele-Holic

Sep 17, 2009
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    newtwanger! Thanks for dropping by.

"Time to stop with the thinking and start with the doing. I wanna see it!"

I couldn't agree more! Got almost all the parts, waiting on the 4PDTs. Plus, I still have to rout the body 12 ways from Sunday, so it may still be a little while.

Will try to record samples when it's done.

Peter

9. Peter Rabbit

Peter Rabbit Tele-Holic

Sep 17, 2009
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Hey Wire Whippers!

Here's my latest:
    [​IMG]

In the previous incarnation, when a Series pup was turned off, the whole series buss circuit would go nowhere, so I have tried to, using yet another switch (SPDT) per pup, wire it such that that pup is automatically switched to parallel when turned off.

Hopefully adding this - 1: works, and - 2: doesn't mess with anything else. Does anyone see a more elegant solution?

Also fixed the 'master' Ser/Par wiring.

Please let me know if I have succeeded. Thanks.

Peter

10. Peter Rabbit

Peter Rabbit Tele-Holic

Sep 17, 2009
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    So, I'm trying to learn schematics. does this look like the same thing as the diagram?

[​IMG]

Peter

11. Peter Rabbit

Peter Rabbit Tele-Holic

Sep 17, 2009
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Howdy Folks!

I have it on reliable authority that this incarnation will actually work.

[​IMG]

Does anyone see a problem? Does anyone care?

Peter

12. Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz TDPRI Member

Hi Peter Rabbit,
    I found your thread again when I was looking through my subscribes.
    Yeah it looks like it should work.
    But isn't the jack tip supposed to be a negative terminal? Maybe I'm wrong.
    Cheers,
    Woody

13. Peter Rabbit

Peter Rabbit Tele-Holic

Sep 17, 2009
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Hey Jazz - (Woody)! Thanks for dropping by.

"But isn't the jack tip supposed to be a negative terminal?"
    I'm pretty sure that the tip is always positive - check out some of Seymour Duncan's diagrams.

"Is anyone selling a tele cheap I'm talking under $100 cheap? I don't care what brand."
    Inexpensive guitars - the cheapest I've found new are from Rondo - around $100, and Guitar Fetish -$160, - if you can live with a Strat, Fender's Squier Bullet is street-priced at $125.

Good luck

Peter

--------------------
    Flashlight: A case for holding dead batteries.

14. Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz TDPRI Member

Hey,
    Wait that might be car cigarette lighters haha that means Ive been wiring my gat wrong for the last year hmmm
    I really ought to remove that signature - I'm building up a tele now :) My own partscaster made from real genuine fender parts! But Ive only got the neck so far. Im not sure if you have the brand Ashton in Canada but the necks on my body (Ashton) and its a strat ): Ill post some images sometime.
    Hows your Laughifyoumustcaster going. I wish I had the attention span to work out some of those diagrams. Mine are very simple! (pickup - pot - out jack).
    If you have done any more work to it post some pics I'd love to see them.
    Cheers,
    Woody

15. Peter Rabbit

Peter Rabbit Tele-Holic

Sep 17, 2009
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Hi woody!

You've got the most important part - the neck! For low-priced bodies, look at GFS http://store.guitarfetish.com/Necks-and-Bodies_c_70.html and also in their 'Blem' section -around $30 - great for refinishing! Good pups too.

Don't know Ashton, but I'll research them a bit.

Re: Laughifyoumustcaster (absolutely love that name!!!), I lazily haven't done the electrical part's measuring and routing yet (building a home recording studio at the mo'), but I shall start again soon and post pics.

Thanks for hanging in there -

Peter
    -------------
    Remember: always finish what you st

16. SteveGangi

SteveGangi Tele-Holic

Jul 12, 2010
    Van Nuys CA
    Too many controls would drive me nuts. One volume, one tone, one switch. Well, maybe toggles for each pup, simple on/off minitoggles.

17. Peter Rabbit

Peter Rabbit Tele-Holic

Sep 17, 2009
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Hello there, SteveGangi.

I am looking for simplicity eventually, but this axe is a test bed to try to find the "right" tones and combinations of electronics that'll be good for my ears. Although I might keep it and use it in the studio for some things - ya just never know, ya know?

Plus, I'm hoping that some of the wiring ideas, like the multi-channel Series/Parallel circuitry, might be useful for some other builders and experimenters.

Thanks for visiting!

Peter
    --------------
    I like my women like I like my coffee - black and hot and maybe with a little prune danish on the side. - Gilbert Godfried

18. Moggl

Moggl Tele-Afflicted

Jan 27, 2008
    +
    Peter, even though you want a test-bed, the huge amount of controls etc. will influence the circuit too much to give useful results, I'm afraid. There'll be so much interaction that once you've found a combination that you like and you try to recreate without all the extra stuff, it won't work. :)

19. Peter Rabbit

Peter Rabbit Tele-Holic

Sep 17, 2009
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Yo Moggl! -"There'll be so much interaction that once you've found a combination that you like and you try to recreate without all the extra stuff, it won't work."

That's why I needed the individual ON/OFF switches - to remove each pup along with all its associated stuff from the circuit, so that the only signals getting through are those that are from the ON sub-circuits. I'm hoping that this will minimize the interactions with the OFF sub-circuits, so that if I only have one pup ON, the entire circuit will consist of 1 pup, four switches (no-load, so they shouldn't affect the tone), 1 pup vol, 1 master vol, and the master tone.

I can, however, see your logic when using more than, say 3, pups at a time - 3 or fewer is basically a modded Strat or Tele, both of which have been done a zillion different ways.

I dunno - I'll try it and see!

Thanks for looking in.

Peter
    -------------
    I gave my wife a mood ring - when she's in a good mood, it turns green - when she's in a bad mood, it leaves a red mark on my forehead.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.