Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Laugh if you must, but...

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Peter Rabbit, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Peter Rabbit

Peter Rabbit Tele-Holic

Sep 17, 2009
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Hi everybody!

I'm actually gonna try to build an axe with five single-coil pups, incorporating, for each pup, On/Off, volume, Par/Ser, and Phase In/Out; and then a master volume and master rotary five-capacitor tone control with bypass. Whew.

Also building the body from spruce 2"x4"x8' cut in quarters to 24" lengths and glued edge to edge to yield a plank 24" long (with the grain) by 14" wide by 1 3/4" thick. Got a good GFS neck (not into making my own, yet.) I'll prolly show this build in the Home Depot Forum.

My intention for this creature is to be a test bed for chasing tone. I'm starting with SCs, but I have a matched set of passive EMG humbuckers to test as well, and eventually I'll try an HSH set-up, looking at it as 5 pups.

Finding the best(?) placement for the pups (at harmonic nodes as a start, I think) is my first priority, after making sure the wiring works, of course.

And, of course, that's where this thread comes in. Does anyone (CC, Fezz, Eddie, Fuzzy, et al) see anything that will prevent this wiring from working? I have doubts about the Ser/Par-Grounding part, but I'm sure it's nothing that can't be rectified (ha.)

[​IMG]

The SC pups are two sets of GFS Overwound Strat pups (around 9K resistance each) with mid RPRW - $17 each set! - and the EMGs passive HBs (7.48K neck, 16.67K bridge SRO-OC1s) are relatively new - $60 the pair.

Naturally, any suggestions are most welcome and appreciated.

Thanks for peeking in.

Peter

---------------------------------

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

2. weldfish

weldfish TDPRI Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Laurium, MI
    Nigel Tufnel had a guitar like that in his collection in Spinal Tap. Cool idea to test out pickups though.

3. kidmo

kidmo Friend of Leo's

May 25, 2008
    Funkytown
    You should talk to this guy:

[​IMG]

Seriously, umm, good luck! You are definitely in uncharted waters! I love a good challenge too, please keep us updated!

4. Moggl

Moggl Tele-Afflicted

Jan 27, 2008
    +
    Apart from the influence of too many pick-ups on the vibrations of the strings, I think the individual volume controls won't do much good. If you must have that many pick-ups, just go with a single master volume.

5. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's

Jun 30, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    A friend of a friend built a Strat with 6 pups with vol and tone for each one.I ended up with the pick guard for this thing.It's somewhere in my mess of junk.

6. Smokestack

Smokestack Former Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Loogootee IN
    I'm glad you said "laugh if you must." That just made me laugh...what a picture!

7. Mike Bruce

Mike Bruce Friend of Leo's

Apr 8, 2008
    Ontario
    There are lots of guitars around with 2 humbuckers and a singlecoil, or 3 humbuckers, so lots of coils and magnets can work. I like the idea, but if I were doing it I'd keep the pickups fairly low.

Peace, Mike.

8. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 8, 2007
    Norfolk UK
    I think you need shutting away for few weeks with a Les Paul junior .:lol:

9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Are some single coils known for pulling less on the strings, magnetically? What about EMG single coils or some of the Lace pickups?

10. Moggl

Moggl Tele-Afflicted

Jan 27, 2008
    +
    Mr Most Interesting: You're right, EMGs and Lace Sensors do pull a lot less.

11. Peter Rabbit

Peter Rabbit Tele-Holic

Sep 17, 2009
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Hi everybody, and thanks for all the good wishes!

Weldfish: Nigel's had a tachometer, mine will have a pressure gauge meter, and no exhaust pipes - completely different! (ha)

Kidmo: If I weren't me, I'd wish I was you too!

Moggl: re: 1 volume - since I plan on using this mostly as a test bed, I wanted to be able to try all combinations of sounds, including pup volume relationships. I wouldn't do this kind of thing to a real guitar! I will test keeping the pups away from the strings though (bad puppys!)

Papa Joe: yes, but did it sound good?

Smokestack: I'm glad you enjoyed it - think of it as 'industrial art'

Mike Bruce: yeah, I'm gonna try a lot of different things

musicalmartin: "I think you need shutting away for few weeks with a Les Paul junior" - OK, got one? (ha)

BigDaddyLH: I'm gonna start with the cheapie pups I have in hand, and if all goes well, I'll make a real guitar using real pups and the results I get from these tests.

For the tone control, I'm also thinking about using a 1 pole, 12 throw rotary and adding 6 more caps to make a Stellartone on steroids. Whatcha think?

Can anyone confirm the wiring the way it's shown?

Meanwhile, keep it coming!

Peter

-------------------------

The difference between a lawyer and a rooster? When a rooster wakes up in the morning, its primal urge is to "cluck defiance".

12. jlee45

jlee45 Tele-Meister

Jan 8, 2010
    Toronto Canada
    this sounds wicked, some mock ups please

13. Peter Rabbit

Peter Rabbit Tele-Holic

Sep 17, 2009
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Okey Dokey, jlee45, here are a few ideas for the controls (I know - just keep laughing)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AND - this one I just like - I call it the bubble-gum machine.
    [​IMG]

This puts the FUN back in DISFUNCTIONAL

Peter

-------------------

What's the difference between roast beef and pea soup? Anyone can roast beef.

14. thejerk

thejerk Tele-Meister

FYI, the Tufnel guitar had 8 coils, but they were 4 humbuckers...
    [​IMG]

15. Stratified

Stratified Tele-Meister

Jul 19, 2008
    Maryland
    If you use somewhat heavier strings, you might avoid the stratitis due to magnet pull on the strings (fender single coil pickups have a separate magnet for each string that combined have significantly more pull than dual coil humbuckers).

I've also thought about a 5 single coil scheme, but I have a very different strategy. The biggest problem to me is switching quickly between useful sounds. While my strategy won't switch quickly between any 2 sounds, I can switch quickly between many useful combinations.

My idea is to make 2 humbuckers out of 2 pair of single coils (when they are split they would sound better than a split humbucker, to me). Add the fifth single coil in the middle like a strat. Wire the 2 "humbuckers" to 4 push pull pots like the Jimmy Page LP wiring to a 3 way switch (instead of coil split, wire as parallel/serial humbucker). Add a 4p3t switch to knock out one coil of each humbucker and add the middle switch and reroute the signal to a strat 5 way switch.

This way I have a Strat/Gibson switch to choose which set of pickups to use, and a Gibson 3way or Fender 5way for normal Gibson or Strat pickup switching. Using 4 push pull pots, the Gibson 3 way located in the LP position, the Strat 5 way in the Strat position and I haven't really made the guitar face too crowded with switchs.

While I've done a wiring diagram, I haven't tested it; I haven't finished the body yet, which will be like a Tele Deluxe.

16. Peter Rabbit

Peter Rabbit Tele-Holic

Sep 17, 2009
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Howdy all!

thejerk: I see you're in Edison - I used to live in Asbury Park - nice part of the world.

Stratified: I too have thought of using 4 pups like a pair of SCs, but also with a different strategy: blend(balance) pots. The idea is to use a blend pot for each pair of SCs in the "humbuckers", and another blend pot to control the two "humbucker" blend pots; then vol/tone/output. Of course there would have to be some Reverse-Polarity/Reverse-Wind pups in the mix. The purpose of this arrangement is to replace a 15 position switch AND to have INFINITE mixing of coils. Separate volume controls provide a similar function with greater ease of getting the mix but with more knobs.

I have diagrams for this circuitry too. I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours.

Peter

-------------------

Favorite Famous Last Words: "Either that wallpaper goes or I do!" Oscar Wilde

17. barkley

barkley Tele-Afflicted

Aug 6, 2009
    Australia
    Why not use 5 different types/brands of p/ups? Why have all the same?

18. bluebilly

bluebilly Tele-Meister

Jan 25, 2010
    New Paris Indiana
    Help! this guy needs an Esquire STAT! j/k Post a clip when you get her done, I'd love to hear it.

19. tazzboy

tazzboy Former Member

May 5, 2005
    Oregon

20. Stratified

Stratified Tele-Meister

Jul 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I've never used blender pots, but I haven't met anyone who's tried them and liked the results. I guess Jazz bass players may have better success than guitar players.

Another thing to beware of is with 5 pickups, 5 volume controls and another master volume control, the total load and the interaction when using the
    various possible combinations may have undesirable results.

I'll attempt to upload my wiring diagram (I haven't posted a pic before, so don't laugh if I fail). I'm actually leaning away from using the Gibson/Strat switch and keeping more simple by using only the Jimmy Page wiring with 4 single coil. The only sound I like with a strat that I wouldn't get is the middle/bridge combo and I think that the neck/bridge single coil combo, in or out of phase, would probably get me there with 2 less switches and one less pickup.

I have not tested this wiring.

I think I lost some detail when resizing the diagram, but I think you can still read it.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.