Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Latency Issues

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by flatout9, Feb 12, 2019 at 6:31 AM.

1. flatout9

flatout9 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Aug 6, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Here is my setup:

I mac 2010 - 3.06ghz & 8Gb of memory Which 95% of its use is for recording only (writing this, I can't believe this computer is 9 years old)
    Focusrite Scarlett 6i6
    Logic Pro X

All recorded stuff is stored on external hard drives.

I can't honestly tell if my timing is just crap or it's a latency issue. Working on a project and I got all the rhythm tracks laid out.
    Recorded the guitars with a real amp Vs. going through the computer. (Not sure what the tech term for that is.)
    Laid down the bass track through the computer and used EZ drummer for the drums.

The rhythm tracks sound fine. Everything works. Started working on the solo and 60+ takes later I can't get it to match up after recording. I'm playing with a metronome and I know when I'm rushing and even just outlined the changes with the metronome and it still sounds like crap.

Problem is I have no clue about any of this latency stuff and am wondering if it is either the computer, interface or me that is the problem! Any words of wisdom of how to correct this?

2. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    There are various speed and latency settings in the audio interface drivers.

I’d check focusrite support around that unit and Logic.

Also are you real time monitoring through the same interface? That always seems to get a little worse for me.

Have you frozen all the the other tracks to fix all their effects so they are not all being processed in real time too? That can slow things down.

Alamo and Peregrino69 like this.
  3. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 19, 2010
    Brisbane
    You should be able to set the 6i6 interface up to do direct monitoring, meaning you are hearing your e.g. guitar exactly as you play it. Read the manual to get the details. If your recorded track is then out of sync when you play it back, it's just a question of nudging it forwards in time a little to sync with the rhythm track.

popthree and Peregrino69 like this.
  4. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

Is this a known to work setup....any recent changes?

I had a similar issue recently and coincidentally, I had switched which USB port my interface was plugged into....lightbulb finally came on and I moved it back to the original location....trouble gone.

5. Peregrino69

Peregrino69 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dec 12, 2016
    Amsterdam
    This might sound far-fetched... but another thing to try is to shut down the network interfaces while recording. Found out in practice...

6. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 11, 2006
    Greater Boston
  7. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Afflicted

Feb 18, 2018
    WV
    Turn off any real time effects or EQ on the bass track while recording other tracks.

Is EZDrummer playing 'live' (real time) through your DAW while recording the solo , or did you prerecord the drum track? MIDI sequencing is old technology and doesn't take up much processing power. But the samples and/or any extra real time processing can bog things down. Try saving the drum track as a WAV file, and import it back to your project as a recorded track.

8. Whatizitman

Feb 18, 2018
    WV
    This is confusing. Your drum track is MIDI with perfect rhythm - no need to have any extra metronome. How exactly are you monitoring the recorded tracks and your playing?

9. flatout9

Aug 6, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Yes, I'm real time monitoring through the interface at least as far as I know. Is there another way to monitor? I'm using headphones but also straight through my monitors since the amp is another room.

10. flatout9

Aug 6, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Ahh good point. The focusrite is really the newest thing but I'll go back through and trying switching ports.

11. flatout9

Aug 6, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I'll try freezing the other tracks. Appreciate the idear.

12. flatout9

Aug 6, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I'm still pretty new to EZ drummer so it may be playing live so I'll try saving as a WAV and see what happens. Appreciate the help.

13. Whatizitman

Feb 18, 2018
    WV
    Are the monitors connected to the interface? Or to the computer's sound card? How are they powered? Routing anything through the computer's soundcard in addition to the interface would likely cause some latency, I would think.

14. flatout9

Aug 6, 2009
    Houston, TX
    They are powered monitors connected to the interface.

15. GuitarPix

GuitarPix Tele-Meister

Oct 1, 2015
    Calgary, AB
    A couple of things - the buffer size which controls latency is in audio preferences (Logic Pro X > Preferences > Audio); lower buffer size = less latency = possible dropouts. So go to the lowest buffer you can get solid recording with. You probably want to run your buffer size at 256 on that machine; the latency can be heard although very little.

You mention the music files are on external drives. However, if that’s a 4500rpm drive in a USB 2 enclosure it is probably too slow, at least in my experience. You may be better off having the working files on your system hard drive. But if it’s a fast drive - 7200rpm or SSD - in a FireWire enclosure that’s better than using the system drive.

Are you using a metronome instead of the drum track or a click track in Logic? If so that’s probably your problem right there because a metronome and a computer will not be synced up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.