Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Late sixties pups. Can they be tamed?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by twangplank, Mar 9, 2013.

1. twangplank

twangplank Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2010
    Valliant Okla
    I've got a 68 and 69 tele that I love the sound but the band I play in plays a lot of rock and such. If I run my dyna comp even at very low comp levels with overdrive it squeals like a gut shot pig. Here's what I've done:
    Replaced the springs for surgical tubing, and on the bridge put a small amount of wax under the back plate of the bridge.

Any advice on how to tame the squeal just a bit? I don't want to totally wax pot them because I don't want to change the tone and kill the value. I've heard of potting them with lacquer or something like that but not sure. Any advice?

2. 3 Chord

3 Chord Friend of Leo's

Mar 20, 2007
    Billings MT
    Your pups should be waxed already, my 76 is.

Do you run your volume control fully open?

Those tele pups do get microphonic though, kinda great in a way but I know what you are saying about the squeal potential.

3. twangplank

May 29, 2010
    Valliant Okla
    The neck pickup is the worst really. I may send them back to Curtis Novak to see what he can do for me.

The other guitarist in our band plays a 66 that has the same issue.

4. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 7, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    Replace the pickups? I have a '69 with the same problem with the bridge pickup (unfortunately the neck pickup has been missing for decades) and the squeal is ridiculous (the guitar is basically unusable live), but I'm leery of doing anything to change its originality.

5. TerryOz

TerryOz Tele-Holic

Mar 25, 2003
    South Australia
    It may take a few attempts, but you can usually "pot them" in surfboard wax or similar, that has been boiled. I reckon last time I did it (years ago) I boiled a tin of wax, and layed the pickup in base up and left it for about 5 minutes, with the wax still under a very low heat to allow the liquid to "permeate" the coils. You don't want the pickup in there while it is boiling hard though. I reckon you will find threads here about this if you search, as there may be a more "civilized" way these days...
    This seems a CBS era issue to me, as I have had many Teles (and still do) and the problem seems to show up mainly on guitars from around 1966 and onwards for 5 or 6 years. Although there will be contradictions to that rule.

6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    You might to take a look at the pots. IF those are 1meg pots, the highs might be bothering you. Go back to 250K's.
    Potting...boiling??? how about 170degrees or so with the wax in a double boiler.....one pan with the wax sitting in another pan that has the hot water in it. Ime potting only improves a pickup. Yes, I know there are those who claim the 'liveliness' of an unpotted pickup is 'magic'...but what I hear are out of tune overtones that are being induced by vibration of the windings adn that have nothing to do with the frequencies that are being played.....and in addition to all of that squealing feedback when pushed.

7. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

All sorts of info in the Just Pickups forum.

8. russ

russ Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2003
    Westside
    I'm one that likes microphonic PUs.
    Try turning the gain, and treble on the amp down a little. Move away from the amp, or turn it at a different angle from where you are standing.
    Does your guit have 1meg pots?

9. twangplank

May 29, 2010
    Valliant Okla
    I like a little feedback but this is pretty much unusable with overdrive.
    It does have one Meg pots. I have been putting my amp on top of a roadcase at gigs to get it up of the ground. It makes quick adjustments a lot easier but that may be making it worse.

I'll try setting it on the ground to see if that helps. I may just pot them. I had to have the leads replaced because someone down the line cut them too short so total originality is gone anyway. Can you just lightly pot them? I had some pups that could be used as a candle and I didn't like the way they sounded. I always assumed they were potted too heavily

10. russ

russ Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2003
    Westside
    What you're trying to solve ( I think ) is a high pitched squealing sound. Not so much controllable feedback that can be used in a musical way.
    I'm thinking your amp is too close. Try that first, and don't point your guitar at your amp, or turn down the vol. control on the Tele before you do.

11. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted

Dec 3, 2012
    Austin, Texas
    In the late '60s, a CBS accountant bypassed the purchasing manager and bought a bunch of odd lots of magnet wire- various lengths and gauges - because it was so much cheaper than the regular wire, even though the manager told him the wire wasn't usable in pickups. They bought and used the wire in pickups anyway. You may have one or two of them.

Replace them. There are plenty of really good pickups out there that can be bought for a reasonable price.

And get some good 250K pots while you're at it.

12. russ

russ Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2003
    Westside
    Yup, good plan.

13. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

Jul 17, 2007
    Virginia
    potting is probably the only thing that will cure this.

I have a set of unpotted pickups and they sound glorious, alive and all that but are unusable with the volume passed 3 or so on my tweed deluxe.

I dont think you can lightly pot them either. Potting only works if the wax gets all through the wire, not just the surface. Mine have been lacquer *potted by being sprayed and that was not sufficient.

using rubber tubing instead of springs, ensuring the bridge lays flat, putting foam between the bridge and bottom of the route, and other so-called fixes will only work if the squeal is not coming from an unpotted pickup.

my pickups sound amazing but are unusable except for recording.

*technically 'potting' just means sealing the pickup, could be just spraying them with lacquer, or wrapping tape around them. You need to soak them in wax properly.

14. Revv23

Revv23 Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2009
    Michigan
    Id put the pups aside and find a set you like so that if you ever sell the guitar the pots/pups are unmolested

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.