Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Last year for #5 control plate screws?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by fernieite, Aug 26, 2017.

1. fernieite

fernieite Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2003
    (Age: 54) Toronto
    Hi all,

I'm probably one of the few that wonder about things like this, but I'm curious as to when the control plate screws changed to #4 x 1/2"? (same size as the pickguard screws)

The earlier #5 x 5/8" were used until they ran out of stock, I imagine - what year was that - 1964? o_O

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017

2. Grux

Grux Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2017
    Clarksville, TN
    Probably a cost cutting measure, but in big corporations things like that get nit picked to death by people in a board room drinking coffee and and seeing who has the best looking buisiness cards.

I've worked with agricultural sprayer companies (selling parts) and been in meetings where the size of the office rubber bands and paper clips where changed because they were more cost effective. I thought "really? This is the dumbest thing I've gotten paid to do."

Could be that or it could be that too many players were modding their Tele's and couldn't find the control plate screws so they jammed some leftover pickguard screws in there, and told fender about it.

Tedzo likes this.

3. fernieite

fernieite Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2003
    Yes, cost cutting may well be the reason for the change.

Fwiw, the control plate holes would have a different countersink diameter as well, I imagine.

Grux likes this.

4. Grux

Grux Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2017
    Clarksville, TN
    It could, but there are many screws that have oversized heads for their respective diameter. All in the way the screw is designed and what it's designed for. :)

5. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Aug 21, 2005
    Michigan
    I would assume that it was a simple matter of running out of stock and/or eventually having a hard time sourcing the #5 easily. I believe that the SAE standards for fasteners changed in 1960 and it probably took about 3-4 years to kick in and exhaust stock.

Fender may have simply found it much easier by 1964-ish to consistently find the #4 even if the #5 was still in the standards books. Combining that with being able to stock one less (harder to source) would make a lot of sense to a company that was rapidly expanding in production.

6. fernieite

fernieite Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2003
    Perhaps some here could confirm when the change was made? Who has a 1963 - 1965 tele or esquire that could share? :)

I can't remember if my 63 had the #5 screws or #4. I sold it back in the early 80's... :cry:

7. 63telemaster

63telemaster Tele-Meister

Jul 29, 2013
    UK
    Not sure what size screws are in my '63 or if they're original but maybe pics help?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017

8. fernieite

fernieite Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2003
    Thanks for the pic man, but it doesn't seem to show the control plate screws.

Here's a photo of what I mean.... no 5 control plate screw.PNG

This is a picture of a number 5 control plate screw and the smaller headed number 4 pickguard screws.

This is a picture of a 1959 telecaster.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017

9. 63telemaster

Jul 29, 2013
    UK
    Haha posted the wrong pic. Now edited.

10. fernieite

fernieite Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2003
    Hmm, interesting. It looks like your 63 has the number 4 control plate screws. They seem to match up perfectly with the control plate countersink holes, so they may well be stock.

So, according to this, the change could have made in 1963 then. :cool:

Thanks!

Beautiful tele btw!

11. 63telemaster

Jul 29, 2013
    UK
    Wasn't aware of screw sizes changing around this period....just goes to show you never stop learning.

I have no reason to doubt the control plate is non-original btw. Nonetheless, would be good to see some other examples to confirm.

fernieite likes this.

12. twang junkie

twang junkie TDPRI Member

Nov 14, 2013
    london
    What a geeky question, I love this forum, the devil is in the detail

fernieite likes this.

13. 71Tele

71Tele TDPRI Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Virginia
    Must be the same screws used for pre-CBS Stratocasters’ jack cup. My original 63 Strat (neck dated SEP 63) has these slightly bigger screws.
    I guess, looking for pristine examples of other Strats, i.e. 64, 65, etc. would tell us when Fender stopped using these screws.

fernieite likes this.

14. Crashbelt

Crashbelt Tele-Meister

Mar 15, 2017
    Cambridge England
    Just checked the jacket socket screws on my all original 65 Strat (March neck date). They are 5/8".

Same screws on my 2014 US STD Strat were 1/2", not that this is relevant - but I just wanted to see!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    fernieite likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.