last physical book and music

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ndcaster, Jun 11, 2019.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I've got that Einstein book, also. And, it's waiting, also.

2. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's

The last CD I bought was Tedeschi Trucks Band - Let Me Get By.

This is the last book I bought. I have it filed under Modern Philosophy/Self Help. IMG_20190612_172207985.jpg

bromdenlong and Toto'sDad like this.
  3. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Music: I still buy CDs...new Nils Lofgren and Bill Frisell/Thomas Morgan-Epistrophy (their 2nd live performance at the Village Vanguard.)

Books: I still buy books...Greg Iles-Natchez Burning (crime novel set in Mississippi) and The Dance of Time, Michael Judge (non-fiction) A miscellany of history, myths, religion, astronomy, festivals and feasts regarding the origins of the calendar. Sounds dry but a beautifully written and interesting book.

4. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

I bought a book of Asian graphic design today. The last CD was probably one for the car... Possibly a Carole King compilation or one of those 100 hits of the 90s things. Everything is Spotify these days.

Greggorios likes this.
  5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm glad you could be entertained again. I rode on many a cattle drive. Shot down the bad guys in town. I helped solve the mysteries of the world, read of love in its truest form, then alas one day it was gone. I think I may have endured too many real life crisis of my own to ever be entertained by someone's fiction again. I did enjoy it while it lasted. I don't drink anymore either but some of the best experiences I ever had were while I was inebriated. Alas, just as with reading fiction, I got my fill one dark on the last day of the year in 1997, and never drank another drop of alcohol. Maybe one day. Time is running out for me though, it may never happen.

Greggorios likes this.
  6. Toto'sDad

Something completely appropriate for this gang.

7. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

8. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

interesting

I've come to think of fiction as a younger person's genre, because young people are interested in how the stories *go*

but as we age, we tend for obvious reasons to become more interested in how stories *end*

I feel ya

Toto'sDad likes this.
  9. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The last book I bought was The Rest is Noise by Alex Ross.

I usually stick to tech or science books and never start at the beginning though, so I had trouble with the operating system of this one.

Last vinyl was probably a second or third copy of a favorite Coltrane album.
    CD, can't say I really buy those but I do recall ordering a Folkways Tuareg music of the Southern Sahara a few years ago, had that on vinyl but you never find that any more.
    I got the big box o' Bob a couple years ago for Christmas, too many tracks of Dylan screwing up to listen to all the way through.

I used to have a lot of reels of Bob recording Highway 61, and enjoy studio chatting for a look into the past...

Toto'sDad likes this.
  10. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Holic

Mine is a edition in Spanish :confused:

I have an English one on wait, well, a bunch, a trilogy of Douglas Adams, "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency", "The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul" and "The Salmon of Doubt"

11. bromdenlong

bromdenlong TDPRI Member

Books: How Music Works by David Byrne
    The Mueller Report

Cds: Patty Griffin by Patty Griffin
    Headlong by John Smith
    Hummingbird by John Smith

DVDs: The Man Who Would Be King
    Blade Runner 2049

12. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

As a point of discussion only, reading books, articles and posts with agendas is ok or me, because I can usually detect which way the wind is blowing. Using your valid logic, I can look for alternative perspectives as well to try and get a more varied viewpoints on a subject. I’ll admit to having enjoyed a whole lot of classic sci-fi, and letting it push my mind around a bit. If everyone has an agenda, arguably that means I do too. I’m interested in expanding my abilities to see more sides of most issues and deciding for myself. Reading (IMO) allows me to do that a LOT less painfully than listening to true believers who want to convince me of something. I’ll sniff what I’m handed and look at it a bit before I bite the horse apple. Am I being led down the garden path? Maybe so, I can see that. Do I maybe get more than I give up? Maybe some of that too.

But if you’re happy, I’m happy. There’s a lot to be said for just living in the moment. I guess I still enjoy books that take me out of the moment .

Toto'sDad likes this.
  13. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Book: Bugs of North America compendium w/pictures
    CD: New Uriah Heep band

14. Toto'sDad

I used to enjoy reading, I really did. There have been so many life jarring events in my life that somehow I'm just not interested in someone else's fantasy, because that's what books essentially are. I'm indeed fortunate that I can journey on, many have slipped into a place they cannot retreat from that have the experiences I have had. If you will notice I have not discouraged anyone for reading novels and such, nor do I find fault with those who do. It's just not for me anymore.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  15. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

My last book purchase was 10 copies each of 3 different books. One copy of each to the girls on my daughter's soccer team.
    Last CD was probably Flock Of Seagulls - Ascension.

Last book I read was Edmond Hamilton's Doomstar.

16. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

Loaded question.
    I don’t buy books, but use the library often or borrow from a few friends. Currently in the Count of Monti Cristo.
    Music! Guilty as charged.
    Leon Redbone as I had none of his stuff. On Track and No Regrets, bought used. Currently looking for some Dr. John.
    I did find the 1st Doors album on MFSl vinyl.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.