Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Last payment!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by P Thought, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO
    I actually do really well with repairs except for this one red truck. I think I paid $56k when it was new and I've put at least $65k in repairs into it in the last 7 years. More than all the other trucks combined. I keep wanting to trade it off but it's the one my dad likes to drive so I bite my tongue and throw money at it. As long as he doesn't mind hauling equipment around, I'll do my best to keep him happy .

P Thought likes this.
  2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Good for YOU! I keep a vehicle forever because I have for years been buying new, and I run 'em as long as I can. We kept one of our cars thirteen years, and it still looked and ran good when we sold it, but we eventually decided to get something else. A car that is PAID for RUNS better! I drove my CRV off the showroom floor with the intentions of it being my last vehicle. MY son has a Tundra that he bought new in 2004, and at present has no plans to buy another.

P Thought likes this.
  3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Yup, keeping Dad happy, happens ahead of some other things. Kinda glad I guess, that my Dad has never fallen in love with trucks.

These numbers you cite, kinda blows my mind. We picked up a 9-5 wagon in early 2015, and another 9-5 sedan a few months later, 82,000 miles on one and 52,000 on the other and I get grumpy having to install another $ 300 throttle body on the sedan. About $ 10,000 per year, over seven years, on one vehicle? I played $ 8,750 for the wagon and $ 5,000 something for the sedan. Between the two of them I've already logged maybe 90,000 miles.

Think about how many amps and guitars one could buy for $ 65,000. Amazing that costs on supposedly tough and reliable new vehicles could be so gigantic.

telemnemonics likes this.
  4. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

We have a paid-off house and two paid-off cars: student loans are the main debt burden we'll take with us into retirement. I've paid off two loans of my own--ten years paying off each round--and now we have several "PLUS" loans for various of our four kids. The government-backed student loan programs stopped loaning so much money to the students themselves, and started loaning most of it to parents, who probably tend to be more reliable in paying them off. Och, tamale.

5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I think that sign is a little tongue in cheek humor. Most of the time the parking lot at the big WalMart out on Rosedale Highway looks like the Braidwood Inn on any given night.

P Thought likes this.
  6. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO
    Unfortunately when things go wrong on these Dodge Diesels it's expensive. The tread came off of the left front tire at 70mph in Dallas and it cost $6000. And would have been $2000 more had it been one year newer with the computer box where the battery box is on this one.

Every repair is $4k-6k . Keep in mind that this truck has over 400,000 miles and a good bit of it is with an 18-24000lb load on behind it.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  7. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Dec 13, 2007
    Indiana
    Congrats. 2 years left on my wife's Accord.

P Thought likes this.
  8. boris bubbanov

You couldn't know this from watching the TV adverts, but when it comes to who is actually towing big loads, out there on the Interstates as often as not, the guys doing the actual heavy lifting are so often driving these big Dodge/Ram mega-pickups.

It really is to the point, I'm on I-40 or whatever and I'm going 85 mph in the Saab, and when I do overtake a truck and trailer carrying a substantial load, I'm almost surprised when it is a brand other than Dodge/Ram. I guess percentage wise, they're mostly all just "Rams" now - I wished they had never changed the name. I don't think putting the Dodge name on the truck ever cost them one sale. But I do think they could sell 30% more Dodge passenger cars if the badge name was shared with these big, hard working trucks. What's a "Ram"? The "Power Wagon" was the name I thought was cool.

9. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I can't find pics right now, but did find a Wikipedia article confirming that Dodge used the stylized ram for car hood ornaments through the '30s, then on trucks throughout the '40s. Today's "Ram" line is a resurrection of that tradition.

I think the hood ornaments were designed by a guy (forgot his name) who was famous for designing the locomotives of the '30s, and I first found the rams in an article about him, is why I can't find them searching for Dodge Power Wagons. . . .

10. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    I could never justify a new truck but have bought and paid for used , paid it up front and no car payments , just the way it should be!, congrats , that is so very cool!

Nickadermis likes this.
  11. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Congrats, P Thought! That's a real nice looking rig you have. I wish you all the happiness possible in your retirement. Great travels to you!

P Thought and Nickadermis like this.
  12. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    ”Last payment!”

Get back in line...we’ll miss you!

P Thought and Nickadermis like this.
  13. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Rhode Island
    How long you keep a vehicle is entirely dependent on how much you want to put up with.

My house is paid up, all but one credit card (paying off a Les Paul @ 0% interest).

I was enjoying no monthlies on the old buggy, but it was starting to eat money. I figured if I was going to pay $3,000 a year to keep it running, I could put that towards a new car. So I did.

I don't work days anymore so my annual miles shot way down. This one should last a good while.

Or not.

Nickadermis and P Thought like this.
  14. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Thank-you, Boris, for the correct usage of "nonplussed." :)

15. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Excellent advice but quite hard to always follow:

"Never a lender nor borrower be..."

P Thought likes this.
  16. boris bubbanov

Yeah, I worked for years and years to build my credit rating way up.

Now, I'm inclined to just let it crumble a bit more, so it will attract no attention from the Identity Thieves. Notice how they don't bother people with a credit history that isn't pumped up or burnished? They've even been known to steal the ID of the professional helpers who show folks how to improve their lending habits.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.