Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Last payment!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by P Thought, Mar 13, 2018.

1. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire

After school let out in 2011, almost to Roseburg on the road with our trailer, our F-150 developed a bad noise up top and a worse one down low. Long story short, we bought a diesel Silverado that day. It was my hope then and it's my hope now that this truck will last me until I can't drive any more, or at least until I can't hitch up the trailer.

The next payment is a little over $100, and the one after that is $0.00!

truck and trailer.jpg

BobbyZ, don71, Danjabellza and 22 others like this.

2. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO
    Nothing I hate worse than "Easy" monthly. Installments. Congratulations!

SnidelyWhiplash and P Thought like this.

3. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Tamworth, 'straya.
    Congratulations! There's nothing like the feeling of paying off a car. We are 4 payments off owning our 2013 Liberty.

4. JL_LI

JL_LI Tele-Afflicted

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    I'm happy for you that your payments are finally over. It must be a relief. Do you still get free breakfast at SpringHill when you park your trailer in their lot?

P Thought likes this.

5. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire

Ain't that the verdad. My old business partner used to say that interest is the penalty you pay for not having any money.

The trailer still has a while to go. . . . :oops: We're heading for the Grand Canyon over spring break. Never been there before.

@JL_LI, I don't know. I think here we're actually in WalMart's lot, next to a sign that says No Overnight RV Parking. Didn't see it.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    Toto'sDad, JL_LI and Nickadermis like this.

6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Congratulations!

P Thought likes this.

7. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2012
    Sou Cal
    I have no monthly debt, other than utilities, insurance, taxes and such, I don’t owe anyone.
    Home, cars, credit cards, all paid in full.
    It took 40 plus years to get here, but I can sleep at night knowing that I’m debt free.
    To sick and old to really enjoy it, but here I am.
    Debt makes Slaves of us all.

8. NashvilleDeluxe

NashvilleDeluxe Tele-Holic

May 10, 2007
    Laurentians, Quebec
    It's amazing how much better life gets when you get the cars and credit cards paid off.

That said, my paid off car is a Ford, so instead of monthly payments, I get a "SURPRISE" mechanic's bill every 3 months. I am gifting this car to my daughter this summer. Neither of us can wait!

9. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    I've really REALLY enjoyed getting free and clear on a house too! Never made it to that last payment on a 30 year mortgage, but through appreciation, equity, and downsizing, we're able to own our current place free and clear. Which doesn't get us out of paying taxes and HOA dues on it, but still, I'll take it. We're almost completely debt-free these days, which is a great feeling.

-Ray

P Thought and Nickadermis like this.

10. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO
    I trade my trucks off whenever those surprise bills total up in a year to be more than the sales tax on a new one.

Stefanovich and P Thought like this.

11. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

May 18, 2006

Yep. Six more payments on a 15 year here. Only an extra $600/ month, though.

12. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    Doesn't it feel great!

Congratulations!

13. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan

14. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2012
    Sou Cal
    I wish I could say that I my path to paying off all my debt was the result of keen financial acumen that created a plan many years ago and worked the plan to its completion, which was freedom from debt.
    However, I sold a home in a very urban area of LA and moved to the high desert.
    I was able to buy a brand new 2400 sf home on a 4 acre lot, and build truck that will last the rest of my life.
    I don’t drive anymore, I ride and my grandson drives, I’ll give him the truck when I croak.
    I even had a few bucks to set up a small shop at my house.
    The money I made working seemed to always be spent before I got it.
    With three kids to raise, every penny was allocated.
    It’s almost impossible for a working man to crawl out from under debt and raise a family at the same time.
    Kids turn into grandkids and the cycle continues, so unless my life is totally different then anyone else’s, paying a note monthly just doesn’t seem to get you anywhere.

P Thought likes this.

15. stratofortress

stratofortress Tele-Afflicted

Oct 25, 2011
    Maryland
    Six more payments on my daughters student loan..

HoodieMcFoodie likes this.

16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I know, but I've had vehicles cost me $ 4,000 one year, then go 3 years afterward and my only expenses were gas, routine maintenance, and prophylactic replacement of parts based on mileage. Worn out tires.

Some vehicles will sorta pull you aside and almost say "I'm having problems, and I'm just letting you know now, the glory days are behind me." Others can have a persistent problem through mid-life, and finally something you throw at it sticks, and it becomes your #1.

don71 and P Thought like this.

17. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I hate to be the curmudgeon, but I was left kinda nonplussed when I paid off the one car that had a note, and paid off the office building. I thought everything would suddenly be blue skies and easy sailing. But increased taxes and fee assessments by the gov't entities, a new roof here and a bill for elevating the structure, having to replace the entire HVAC out of nowhere. The feeling of paying it all off should mean euphoria, but there's always something ready to pop up and gobble up the money. Structures are really no different than cars, they just wear out along a different time line.

telemnemonics likes this.

18. Recce

Recce Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 3, 2016
    Northern Alabama
    My last payment on my 2013 Avalanche is next month. It feels great.

HoodieMcFoodie and P Thought like this.

19. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    If I had an extra $600 a month I'd be rich!
    No debt besides property taxes, live in a popular vacation spot, all the guitars I need.
    Actually I'd probably need an extra $900 a month to be rich, so never mind...

P Thought likes this.

20. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Yup, it's a great feeling to be debt free.

About 20 years ago I was going through an expensive divorce (I guess they all are) and was in debt up to my yazoo. My girlfriend (now my wife!) and I made a concerted effort to get out of debt. We put ourselves on a strict budget and started paying down debts.

Slowly over the years we got stuff paid off, but the key was that we were quite content to live the same lifestyle and didn't go crazy buying more stuff after we paid off a debt. Now, 20 years later, we still live the same lifestyle (but with lots more flexibility if we need it) and are 100% debt free - car, truck, camper, house on 15 acres, etc, etc - all paid off.

And I am now in a position to retire early.

The tortoise really can beat the hare!

And congrats on the paid off truck - ain't life good?

Cheers,
    Doug

don71, P Thought and telemnemonics like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.