Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Last book you read / books you are reading.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by johnny k, Mar 16, 2018.

1. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Tele-Afflicted

May 21, 2006
    SPace
    How do you think it should be divided up? Trilogies are popular, so maybe like this (keeping it vague for those who would avoid spoilers)?

Film 1: Beginning of the book until the beginning of exile. This one would probably have the most exposition. Kinda like the first Lord of the Rings film.
    Film 2: Meeting the Fremen, becoming Muad'Dib, and everything else that happens during this time.
    Film 3: Rise of Mud'Dib, through the end.

Sconnie likes this.

2. ElJay370

ElJay370 TDPRI Member

Apr 3, 2018
    Los Angeles, CA
    "How Music Works" by David Byrne

backporchmusic and kidmeatball like this.

3. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Tele-Afflicted

May 3, 2016
    In the South

4. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Jan 14, 2015
    Chicago
    I don't read a lot of books anymore. By the time I finish chapter 2, I'll have forgotten most of chapter 1.

5. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Nov 5, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    Exactly. I have an upstairs copy and a downstairs copy. When I started to redirect my music toward blues, which I had played in my younger days, I was fortunate to have read this right when I was restarting.

Palmer made a film with Dave Stewart called Deep Blues. While it is nowhere near as broad as the book, they talked to some very interesting guys and filmed some great performances, mostly in the sticks. I was not familiar with the fife and drum tradition when I first saw this, so what an awesome surprise it was to hear this music and see a line of musicians come marching out and playing in the open air.

SixStringSlinger likes this.

6. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    I like your planning there, it seems like a natural progression. If it's only two movies I think the split should be right after they meet the Fremen, you get the "oh ****" cliffhanger and don't leave too much of the story on either side. It'll be interesting to see what comes of it!

7. ElJay370

ElJay370 TDPRI Member

Apr 3, 2018
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hmmmm...Interesting. might have to read that one also.
    The one I'm reading is by Talking Head David Byrne. Rather than exploring the science of it (as the Powell book seems to be focusing on), DB digs more into the sociopolitical impact of music, how it's recorded, how humans experience it, how it influences our behavior, etc. Lots of insight into how Talking Heads came to be, their early performing and recording experiences, and Byrne's individual approach to music also. Even if you're not a fan, it's a very informative, entertaining, and wryly humorous read.

8. Johnson johnson

Johnson johnson Tele-Holic

Dec 30, 2016
    Memphis
    I'll give another shout out to the Dune series, I've read and reread... Herbert was genius imho.

Currently I'm rereading Spoon River Anthology (excellent book of poems based on headstones in a cemetery).

Shogun (just one of my favorite stories)

and for the first time I'm working on The 37th Parallel (I've read all of Mezrich's stuff, good quick reads).

9. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 10, 2003
    White Mountains
    "End Games" by Michael Dibdin - another in the Aurelio Zen series.

10. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Tele-Afflicted

May 21, 2006
    SPace
    I had no idea there was a film. I'll have to check that out!

11. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Recently read "old man's war" by John Scalzi, which is to Heinlein's "starship troopers" as Greta van fleet is to led zeppelin.Just finished "coming home" by Jack McDevitt, now reading "the drifter" by Nicholas Petrie.

12. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Tele-Afflicted

Just finished With The Old Breed At Peleliu and Okinawa by E.B. Sledge of the 1st Marine Division - 3d Batallion, 5th Marines

My wife and I watched the tv series on the war (WWII) in the Pacific and she stumbled across the book on Amazon.ca. I’ve never been in the military other than being an Air Cadet in the sixties for a few years. However, I’m an avid reader of WWI, WWII, Korean War, and Vietnam War history. Worth reading.

6l6-57 likes this.

13. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Philly Burbs
    not much of a book reader...i read mostly the internet...but a few weeks ago i bought steve jones guitar player for the sex pistols book called...lonely boy...cool book...learned a lot of the things never talked about with the band...his life pre and post...his drug addiction as well as other addictions and how he got out of that mess

14. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nov 3, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I just finished rereading one of my favorite books, Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde. No not that other shades of gray book!

15. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I still have my original paperback copy of Dune. It was required reading in 11th grade sci-fi-lit class back in ... musta been 1973...

I've read it a bunch of times, as well as all the sequels (that Frank himself wrote).

Hmm, perhaps it's time for another re-read, when I finish with The Diamond Age.

6l6-57 likes this.

16. kidmeatball

kidmeatball Tele-Meister

Jan 17, 2016
    Delta, BC
    Just finished The Sick Bag Song by Nick Cave. Brilliant surreal ride inside his demented mind as he tours North America.

Working on Glasshouse By Charles Stross. He has this kind of a matter of fact sci-fi style that is pretty far out, but highly believable. Think about it like as if Kubrick had done The Matrix.

17. Ben-Zion

Ben-Zion Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2017
    Louisville
    David Mamet: CHICAGO
    James Lee Burke: ROBICHEAUX: a NOVEL
    Chris Mathews: BOBBY KENNEDY: A RAGING SPIRIT

18. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    I’m liking Richard Russo, late discovery of some older books, and this one grabbing me now. IMG_8115.JPG

19. DonM

DonM Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Henderson,NV/SLC,UT
    He sure did. Never forgave his brother, even on his death bed. I didn't know he had such a serious drinking that he did.

Wallo Tweed likes this.

20. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

Aug 18, 2017
    Sweden
    I'm re-reading "Sapiens: a brief history of humankind" by Yuval Noah Harari. An important book. A good read. Extremely interesting. But there's lot to take in. I read when it was brand new, a couple a years ago. But now I got the urge to read his new book "Homo Deus: a breief history of tomorrow" but before that I'm plowing through the old one again, to have it fresh in my memory before I plunge into the new one. Yes, I'm getting older… :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.