Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Last book you read / books you are reading.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by johnny k, Mar 16, 2018.

1. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

There aren't many of his books you can list here, according to the rules!

2. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Yeah, he challenges conceptions and gets lot of panties twisted up, that's for sure. Extremely insightful and well thought out, though.

3. DonM

DonM Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Henderson,NV/SLC,UT

4. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Nov 5, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    Deep Blues by Robert Palmer. Loaded with info about the pre- and post- great migrations that brought Mississippi blues to Chicago (and Memphis, Detroit, maybe KC). The musicians seemed to have such a righteous lust for life.

5. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    I don't read much fiction:

Finished "The God Delusion" - Richard Dawkins

Next up is "Agincourt" - Juliet Barker.

6. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 29, 2003
    Our bass player gave me "Trash Fish" by Greg Keeler. (Keeler is an English prof at Montana State and not the guy from Blue Rodeo, who spells his last name Keelor.)

Wonderful book. Very funny and poignant. It's all about how fishing has guided his life. Highly recommended.

7. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Tele-Afflicted

May 21, 2006
    SPace
    I'm in the midst of a few, as I do.

"Flying Colours", C.S. Forester (I've been reading through the entire Hornblower series for the last couple of years; love these books)
    "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter", Seth Grahame-Smith (a re-read just for fun; not a capital-G "Great" book, but much better than the title may lead you to think)
    "The Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs", Steve Brusatte (I love dinosaurs. I require no further justification)

I'm also in the middle of various comic book series; when I read the issues that are collected in the next trade compilation to be published, I log that edition on Goodreads.

6l6-57 likes this.

8. SixStringSlinger

May 21, 2006
    SPace
    I read that one a few years back. It was a lot more dense with stories and information (not to mention musicians I'd never heard of) than I expected. I think it deserves a re-visit.

9. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2014
    down every road
    I just finished Dragon Teeth, by Michael Crichton. Not typical Crichton--at least not in the vein of Congo, Airframe, or Jurassic Park, but a good read just the same.

10. SixStringSlinger

May 21, 2006
    SPace
    Dune is amazing. I re-read it for the third time earlier this year. I'd love to get into the sequels, but I'm nervous because I've heard they don't compare and I'd hate to cheapen it.

I have a collected edition of the H2G2 books, but I find I like them best in small doses. Read one, read a couple other books, then read the second one, etc.

11. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    Great minds think alike..

I can't wait to re-read Dune, especially with a new film series in the works (although I have zero hopes for it being any good haha, we know the deal with this book.) I have the next book in the series but it's way down the list for the reason you mentioned, it was a cheap used book store purchase anyway.

Your strategy for H2G2 (that is a clever abbreviation!) is exactly what I'm doing! I read Book 1, moved on to something completely different (Storm of Steel), might read somethin else before Book 2, etc. Those pages ain't going anywhere.

Cheers

12. SixStringSlinger

May 21, 2006
    SPace
    I didn't know anything about new films, outside of vague rumors. I don't think it's impossible to make good films out of Dune (though the plural may be necessary), but it'll certainly take some doing. I wonder why that is? I'm thinking the required exposition (e.g. how "the voice" works, or the general political workings involved in the story) and other things that are easy to write down, but hard to put into a more visual medium (and if you want to avoid making it cheesy, harder still).

And I can't take credit for the H2G2 abbreviation, but it certainly makes things easier :lol:

13. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's

Dec 29, 2006
    Potsdam, NY
    I’m presently re-reading NS’s Cryptonomicon for about the 4th time. Agree about NS’s humor and that the book shaped the way I view the world. I’m actually working on a “Detachment 2702” Esquire build.

I’ve never read The Diamond Age; maybe that will be next.

Johnson johnson and moosie like this.

14. SixStringSlinger

May 21, 2006
    SPace
    Oh, I never shared what I read last!

"Ship of the Line", C.S. Forester (told you)
    "Jurassic Park" and "The Lost World", Michael Crichton (another fun re-read. I think I like the Jurassic Park film more than the book, but I'll never forgive Spielberg for omitting the motorcycle/velociraptor between the legs of giant sauropods and Jeep/velociraptors along the edge of a cliff chases from the Lost World movie.

And more comics.

15. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2011
    Penn's Woods
    I just read that last week. Man did he ever get screwed over by the people he thought he could trust.

Maybe it should be required reading for those considering a career in the biz.

DonM likes this.

16. etype

etype Tele-Holic

Sep 23, 2014
    Dallas
    Lou Reed: A Life
    by Anthony DeCurtis

17. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Meister

Feb 22, 2018
    Savannah GA
    The Dune sequels are more than worth the read. Herbert's writing style really improves in my opinion, even if you don't like where the story leads. It covers a lot of time.

Currently I'm indulging my KJ Parker infatuation reading Sharps. Before that was Mark Lawrence's Red Sister / Grey Sister books, waiting for the third one in the trilogy (argh). I HATE that. My list of "waiting for the next book" has gotten so long it's ridiculous. Before that was Adrian Tchaikovsky's Echoes of the Fall trilogy, which was amazing.

6l6-57 likes this.

18. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

Jan 15, 2011
    France
    I m out of books to read right now, so i re reading the bluecoats comic
    [​IMG]

19. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    Current read : Clownfish Blues by Tim Dorsey

20. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    This is it, IMO, the exposition. In David Lynch's rendition (2 hours long) it's pretty much the first three chapters of the book in 90 minutes, then they throw a flurry of montages in the last few minutes to get through the rest of the book. It was cheesy and didn't work well at all, downplayed all the meaty bits of the story that come after you see the scene being set.. IIRC the rumors are talking of multiple movies, which I agree is a must.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.