Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Last book you read / books you are reading.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by johnny k, Mar 16, 2018.

1. ce24

ce24 Friend of Leo's

Jan 26, 2008
    Idahoastan
    Right now I'm reading. Shackleton...... Story of his treck across the Antarctic continent......

6l6-57 and Joe Sailor like this.

2. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2017
    UK
    Intrigued but don't have a clue

Sex politics drugs religion or tonewood?

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

2 but mostly 4. Don't know about 5.

3fngrs likes this.

4. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2017
    UK
    No tonewood sex then?

5. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

Oct 30, 2017
    Ohio
    Aaarrrggghhhh! Sometimes these rules are tough!

Anyway, yeah. It's all about the tonewood!:D

6. Mechanic

Mechanic Tele-Afflicted

Just read Michael Connelly, Two Kinds Of Truth and reread Robert Hienlien The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress. 2 authors of whom I’ve read most of their work. The Bosch novels are classic L. A. SoCal whodunits. Heinlien went from juvenile SF to fairly sophisticated SF.

6l6-57 likes this.

7. Pickin N Grinin

Pickin N Grinin Tele-Meister

Mar 9, 2008
    New Jersey U.S.A.
    [​IMG]

If you enjoy reading about WWII this one was really interesting. My late father in law flew against some these guys as a ball turret gunner in B-17's over Europe.
    This is a Very interesting fighter pilots view of WWII from the German perspective. They all expressed very little respect for their criminal **** leadership.

6l6-57 likes this.

8. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Holic

Jun 3, 2016
    Chicago, Illinois
    I typically only read one book at a time, but yesterday I picked both of these up at the library and I’m alternating after each chapter.

F6FD11F3-2336-43B3-AE87-6D9132BF786A.jpeg

9. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I rarely re-read fiction, but I'm reading Neal Stephenson's The Diamond Age for the second time. First time was shortly after it was published, in the late 90s. It's one of those books that has subtly shaped the way I see the world. I didn't expect this, of course, or I'd never have read it in the first place. :lol: I'd forgotten how funny it is, too. NS has such a bright, sardonic wit.

10. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Friend of Leo's

Dec 21, 2004
    central ky

man, I would love to read this one.

6l6-57 likes this.

11. Boubou

Boubou Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jul 30, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec

12. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Friend of Leo's

Dec 21, 2004
    central ky
    i'm looking forward to reading the latest Lucas Davenport novel, "Twisted Prey". it came out at the end of april.

13. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Afflicted

Aug 2, 2011
    Branson, Mo
    The House on Diamond Hill, by Tiya Miles. If you’re interested in the history of the southern US and the interaction of various ethnic and cultural groups in the early 19th century, this book is a real treasure. The setting is a plantation about 60 Miles north of Atlanta, owned by James Vann, a Cherokee entrepreneur, who allowed a group of Moravians to build a school on his plantation. The author uses diary entries kept by a missionary (translated from German) to reconstruct the lives of dozens of people who lived on this plantation from about 1800 to 1825.

Notably, the diaries provide details about the lives of slaves as named individuals, interacting with one another and Vann, their Cherokee owner, and his family.

Vann’s brilliance was in negotiating contracts with the federal government to operate inns and ferries and promoting literacy for Cherokees. He was probably one of the wealthiest men in the South at age 40 in 1804. But he was brutal in his treatment of others, especially women and slaves, which led to him being killed by a former friend in 1809.

The author received a MacArthur award after this book was published, which was her second monograph on slaveholding Natives.

14. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Recently finished Sam Wineburg's Historical Thinking and Other Unnatural Acts and My Dear Mr. Stalin: The Complete Correspondence of Franklin D. Roosevelt and Joseph V. Stalin by Susan Butler (Editor).

Now reading Micheal J. Lansing Insurgent Democracy: The Nonpartisan League in North American Politics.

I'll let the American Historical Review explain the subject:

" A populist movement that briefly unsettled politics on the western plains, providing a blueprint for citizen agency in a corporate age. The movement germinated in North Dakota, where farmers in this overwhelmingly rural state found themselves by the second decade of the twentieth century experiencing increasing economic stress, including possible foreclosure on their homesteads. Minneapolis businessmen who bought their wheat, owned their mortgages, and set the costs for transporting grain from small towns seemed deliberately to be squeezing farmers.
    This phenomenon—reminiscent of a Hamlin Garland short story—triggered both resentments and a meaningful movement, starting with grassroots initiatives to counter commercial interests."

15. lousy13

lousy13 Tele-Meister

Feb 25, 2007
    Near Denver
    Another Neal Stephenson fan here. Just started reading Seveneves.

16. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    Oswald Spengler, The Decline of the West

17. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Thanks for mentioning this book! I assign weekend reading for my A.P. U.S. History students and I try to use primary sources and descriptive narratives that place the larger narratives of periods in a more personal and social context. I'm lacking stories from this period of time. I'll read this over the summer and if it fits the bill it will be on the syllabus this fall. :D

Harry Styron likes this.

18. Disco Biscuits

Disco Biscuits TDPRI Member

Jan 5, 2011
    NC
    Thai Horse

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/387573.Thai_Horse

This is probably my 10th or 11th time reading it, but it's been a few years so it's nice and fresh at the moment. It's a little like Jason Bourne, but with less fighting and more insight to the character. That's not to say there isn't any action throughout the book. Highly recommend to anyone, I can't see many males that wouldn't enjoy this all the way through. The first 10 pages will grab you immediately.

19. po-boy

po-boy Tele-Holic

Oct 19, 2007
    gulf coast, alabama
    recently i had been reading mostly accounts of WWII including Pyle's "Brave Men" and "Here Is Your War", "With The Old

Breed" by Sledge, "A Helmet For My Pillow" by Lecke and "Some Survived: An Eyewitness Account Of The Bataan Death

March And The Men Who Lived Through It" by Lawton - on a recent trip i was passing through an airport terminal and was

looking for something to read when i spotted Hiaasen's "Bad Monkey" and decided i needed a change of pace - big Hiaasen

fan and own a dozen of his books, but this was a new one - like all of his books, they are best read in high temps and

sweltering humidity with a cold beverage handy - highly recommended -

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.