Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Last book you read / books you are reading.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by johnny k, Mar 16, 2018.

1. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

Jan 15, 2011
    France
    I m on a Lloyd Kaufman binge, so i m re reading his All I Need to Know about Filmmaking I Learned from the Toxic Avenger again. It s hilarious, his movies are great.

The last ones i read were the biography of Little Richard, not for the faint hearted, and the biography of Al Jourgensen from ministry.

2. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    Almost done with Catch-22 which is obviously well-known as an awesome book, and I agree with what I just said. I'm catching up on some classics I've never gotten around to: read Dune last year (awesome), up next is Hitchhiker's Guide (excited for that one), Storm of Steel, and a biography of Michael Faraday.

3fngrs, Teleguy61 and Piggy Stu like this.

3. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    "The Spinning Magnet" - about the discovery and understanding of Earth's magnetic field and electromagnetism. Michael Faraday plays a real important role.

Before that it was "Don't Give Your Heart to a Rambler" - a tell it all book by Jimmy Martin's "first" wife and mother of four (4) of his children. It sounds like the King of Bluegrass was quite the guy. A heck of a singer, but nearly totally dysfunctional. It is a "bubble-burster."

4. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    Moby-Dick. Hadda do it sometime. It's cool.
    Surprisingly little white whale in it.
    Magister Ludi/The Glass Bead Game--Herman Hesse. Mind-blowingly good.

P Thought likes this.

5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

Set in Acadie, so there are bits in French. I wonder, if it were translated into French, would those be English?

6. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    The Wounded Healer-Henri Nouwen. A good book (and short, too!) if you're in the business of helping other people.

7. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nov 3, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I give anyone who can get through that book a lot of credit. I could never make it.

I'm in the middle of "From Russia With Love." I like the Bond books, way better than the movies; at least the old movies. I need to finish it because I have 3 more books lined up behind it. I get an email from Bookbub everyday that lists cheap e-books for that day. They are usually $1.99 or $2.99. I just buy them when I see one I like.

8. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    Maigret and the Headless Corpse
    Georges Simenon
    A few years ago I stumbled across the Maigret Christmas collection and enjoyed that, this is the first of the novellas I have read set outside of that background, not your usual detective story w/ tough actions and sudden "AaAh!" moments , these are interesting in that they are very "workaday" and give a real flavor of the daily routine of criminal investigation in and around pre/postwar Paris..

Teleguy61 likes this.

9. raito

raito Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nov 22, 2010
    Madison, WI
    I much prefer Corman's "How I made A Hundred Movies in Hollywood and Never Lost a Dime"

10. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I'm reading Troubled Sleep, by Jean-Paul Sartre. I'd never before read Sartre. I feel Smartre.

Edit: I love "what are you reading" threads.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018

11. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    ......LAST: Guitar Amplifier Overdrive: a visual tour, 2015, by U.Neumann & M.Irving (self-published)

CURRENT: Magna Carta: The Birth of Liberty, 2015, by Dan Jones, Viking/Penguin Random House.

12. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Holic

Jun 3, 2016
    Chicago, Illinois
    I just finished a book called “Don’t Worry, He Won’t Get Far On Foot” Autobiography of John Callahan, an alcoholic who is paralyzed in a car accident, gets sober and becomes a cartoonist.
    Now I’m reading a book about tube amps.

13. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

Jan 15, 2011
    France
    The hitchhickers guide to the galaxy didn t make it for me. Very british humor, which i like, but ... nor for me .

Sconnie likes this.

14. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

Jan 15, 2011
    France
    they d be in the cajun french i guess, which is something different. Like canadian french, or fench english which i speak on a regular basis.

15. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

Jan 15, 2011
    France
    I need to read that one ! I love Roger.

3fngrs likes this.

16. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

Jan 15, 2011
    France
    Oh boy. Good old Jean Paul. The high school student worst nightmare.

P Thought and 6stringcowboy like this.

17. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    I just finished a killer trilogy by Justin Cronin. I picked up The Passage on a free book shelf and man was really hooked. The guy is an amazing writer. So good. Part adventure, part future, very inward looking at the same time.

The Passage
    The Twelve
    The City of Mirrors

18. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I just finished The Bruised Reed, by Richard Sibbes.

19. brobar

brobar Tele-Holic

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    ng-book - The Complete Book on Aungular 5

It is riveting reading, I tell ya!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.