Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Laney AOR Lead 50 pyrotechnic demise

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by deafoldman, Sep 15, 2017.

1. deafoldman

deafoldman TDPRI Member

May 24, 2014
    Appalachia
    Tonight at practice, my AOR gave up the ghost in spectacular fashion with pops, crackles, hisses, brilliant flashes, and smoke until (I assume) the fuse blew and all was silent.

Tomorrow, I shall place it on the bench for the post mortem and possible resurrection. Any advice before surgery as to how to proceed other than unplug and drain caps?

2. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2015
    Idaho
    Just that, be sure all the caps you can get to are drained. Then start slowly with a thorough visual inspection and see if your nose tells you anything. Seldom does any electrical component die in such a spectacular fashion without letting out the stinky magic smoke.

Lastly, don't assume whatever damage you find is the only damage. I wear glasses + face shield and earplugs when troubleshooting this kind of stuff. Caps can explode violently if they're shorted out.

deafoldman and tery like this.

3. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Tele-Holic

That must have been quite a show!
    We used to have a prop back in the day that we would bring on stage, maybe the third set, at a new venue. It was a gutted Peavey 212 loaded with a small amount of flash powder, and the nozzle of the smoke machine was routed into the back. The lead player would get into a long jam, then we set off the flash, started randomly flashing the stage lights, and let the smoke run for a while.
    It always made an impression on the crowd!

kookaburra likes this.

4. deafoldman

deafoldman TDPRI Member

May 24, 2014
    Appalachia
    ...last night, my Laney made an impression on the band.... and me... it was in Church, and we had a good groove... I suspect demonic attack... I sure smelled the brimstone...

Bill Moore and robrob like this.

5. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2015
    Idaho
    Wait, you didn't play a tritone (diminished fifth) did you?

deafoldman likes this.

6. bo

bo Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    You do know that's Iommi's favorite amp brand, right? Surprised nothing worse happened.

7. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2015
    Idaho
    The plot thickens.... :):) :)

8. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Tele-Afflicted

Sep 22, 2014
    Pahrump, nv
    That's a shame. I almost got one of those. I loved it, but needed more of a pedal friendly combo at the time. Beautiful amp.

9. bo

bo Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I had one I used on the road a lot back in the late '80s. It never gave me any trouble, but it was a much younger amp then.

10. bayside

bayside Tele-Meister

Sep 22, 2008
    eastern side of the Pacific
    I've got one lunch boxed up with godzilla green tolex, sitting on a Marshal 4x10 cab. OP thanks for the heads up I'll keep an eye out.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.