Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Laminated neck question.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Bugeater281, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Bugeater281

Bugeater281 Tele-Meister

Nov 30, 2016
    Omaha
    so I got this really pretty piece of walnut last night. It's big enough to make a single neck. It will have around an inch of extra material, that extra material is this really curly pretty piece. I was wanting to use it as the center of a laminated neck. But it is heartwood and there's a nice open cracked area on it. Is there a way to fill this and keep it stable. I'd assume it would be alright to use on a laminated neck but I'm still new to all this. I will say this picture doesn't do it justice, it actually has some blue tints to it. IMG_6641.JPG IMG_6643.JPG I may be able to fill the crack with super glue or epoxy and it should be fine. What's your guys opinion.

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I wouldn't use that cracked piece on a neck myself. Maybe somewhere else on a body perhaps? I want as close as perfect, defect free wood (within reason) on my necks. As always, YMMV.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017

3. Bugeater281

Bugeater281 Tele-Meister

Nov 30, 2016
    Omaha
    The neck would be for personal use, I would understand not using it on a guitar your building for someone else. It's a bit unpredictable, I'd just hate to waste the wood. It would look really good on a neck.

4. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County

I don't like to waste wood at all either, but a neck isn't a body...:). On that note... it's your neck....not mine. Just my 2 cents.

5. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister

Dec 24, 2015
    Birmingham, AL

6. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Just my two cents as well, but it's kind of like having something really cool looking on the back of the guitar - no one can see it, and only the guitar player knows it's there. I understand the attachment to amazing pieces of lumber, but why use it if no one can see it? Are you thinking of a one-piece neck with no fretboard?

7. Bugeater281

Bugeater281 Tele-Meister

Nov 30, 2016
    Omaha
    No, I was planning a 5 piece neck like the one in the second photo. I was going to use maple on the outsides and thought that colorful walnut would really pop. With it only being an inch squared a neck was the first thing that came to mind. Maybe I'll get some graphite rods to help support it. Or just use it as the center of a guitar top.

8. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

May 24, 2010
    Canada
    I am with the, 'do something else with it', camp. Mind you, if you make two necks and put on the heartwood one then you have a backup to go to. And if the walnut works out, well the other neck is reason enough to build another body.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.