Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Lake Placid Blue thinline. Did it exist or am imagining?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by skiraly017, Apr 27, 2006.

1. skiraly017

skiraly017 Tele-Holic

Mar 16, 2003
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    I know reissue thinlines came in mahongany, sunburst and Pepto pink, but weren't there other colors? Where were they manufactured? Thanks.

2. chet

chet Banned

Aug 30, 2004
    The Jersey Shore
    I had a '72 LPB Fender Thinline Tele RI but I took it back. I've also seen LPB '69 RI Teles too. They were available a few years ago.

3. Dave Yeats

Dave Yeats Tele-Holic

Mar 17, 2003
    Austin, Texas, USA
    do a search for "custom color thinline" on this site, and you'll get a lot of information. Fender did a limited run of 5 custom colors (I think they were surf green, candy apple red, sonic blue, lake placid blue, and shell pink). They pop up on eBay from time to time, but they are no longer "production" colors. They were the made in Mexico models. I wish I had bought one when they were around. It seems like every store I went to had the pink ones on sale, and now they're hard to find.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Tom S

Tom S Friend of Leo's

Aug 3, 2005
    This help?

[​IMG]

Yeah, I don't mind an opportunity to show them off a bit :)

The LPBlue is on the right:
    [​IMG]

I believe they made the '72RI in all five colors as well. You might still be able to find an LPBlue new if you look hard enough.

Btw, they are MIMs, made in 2002.

6. militele

militele Tele-Meister

Mar 9, 2006
    Clinton, MS
    LPB "72 Here...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-72-ThinL...ryZ38083QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Don't know if you're interested in a '72 or not, but this one appears like a good one.

I just found one in upstate NY this past week.

BTW The CC Thinlines were MIM in 2002, in five custom colors. CAR, Lake Placid Blue, Surf Green, Daphne Blue, and Shell Pink. They are limited edition runs of 100 each color in '69RI and '72 RI. Tom S. has the '69s and I have most of a set of '72s. Great guitars!

Hope this helps,
    GW

7. maction

maction TDPRI Member

Apr 27, 2006
    Chicago
  8. Amaryllis

Amaryllis TDPRI Member

Oct 8, 2006
    Germany
    Hi militele - Is it really 100 each? What does the forum think, does Fender make figures on the limited run public? I have heard it is a 1000 each, and there were special other colors for a NAMM show recent years.

Maybe someone got the ad that Fender did publish for the limited color run, I have seen it here, but can´t find it now.

Cheers, Amaryllis.

9. nasonm

nasonm Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2003
    Maine
    Our own intertian was selling one just a few days ago, I don't know if he still has it (the classified ad is gone).

10. Brudr

Brudr Tele-Meister

Nov 16, 2006
    West Virginia
    They are very cool indeed! The only thing original on mine is the body and pickguard.

Attached Files:

11. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

Another picture for your viewing pleasure...

[​IMG]

12. BootRoots

BootRoots Tele-Holic

Jan 26, 2004
    Cincinnati
    man I really need to stay out of threads like this. Its not good for the wallet.:)

13. mojocasterman

mojocasterman Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2006

My thoughts exactly :)

14. csapo

csapo Tele-Afflicted

Jan 10, 2006
    San Francisco

Very, very nice nice. I really like the rosewood neck with the LPB.

But I can't disturb any of these five

[​IMG]

15. mojocasterman

mojocasterman Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2006
    I can't get enough of these pics :)

16. TKOOC

TKOOC TDPRI Member

Mar 10, 2005
    I just bought the 72RI in LPB yesterday from Inertian.
    I just decided to acquire all these custom colors in both the 69 RI and the 72 RI a few months ago. Everyone will have their own stories, but it has seemed to me the ones I've had the most trouble finding and seen the least of are the Lake Placid Blue ones, whether a 69RI or a 72RI. I feel very lucky to have found one in LPB.

17. csapo

csapo Tele-Afflicted

Jan 10, 2006
    San Francisco
    If you haven't seen this one yet and still have cash???? Price seems a tad high and don't know whether the "upgrades" justify the increase.

Ebay '69RI Thinline Surf Green

18. Tom S

Tom S Friend of Leo's

Aug 3, 2005
    Apparently, Fender does not release production numbers on limited run guitars. One guess is that they don't want to be held to a number if a certain model proves to be popular. But overall, the practice of keeping these things secret, especially after the series is over and done, is assinine and annoying, IMHO.

In regard to the car color thinlines, maybe it's time to attempt a more definitive thread on what is truly known about these guitars and what is mere speculation. I hope other people can amplify on this info, but if you do, please be clear about how reliable your information is, and list your sources.

I have spent well over a year keeping an eye out (investigating and searching) for info regarding the car color thinlines, especially during the many months it took me to acquire my set of five '69s.

From time to time, people ask questions and/or make statements about this limited series that either are consistent with what I've found, or conflict with it. With quite a bit of it, I can't say I'm right and they're wrong, or vica versa.

Yet, while there is very little definitive information about these guitars, there is some general info that, at this point, I'm willing to accept as established fact. Since some people even get the general stuff wrong, it's worthwhile posting the following in the interest of keeping internet misinformation in check. This may be obvious to some, but here goes:

"Reliable" information:
    • The car color series was a limited series conceived to pay homage to the cool paint colors that Fender once used on certain models, mostly derived from automotive colors of the '50s. Hence the unofficial moniker, "Car Colors."
    • The colors used were: Daphne Blue (not sonic blue or baby blue), Lake Placid Blue, Candy Apple Red, Surf Green (not Sea Foam Green), and Shell Pink
    1958 Cadillac: LPB Blue and Daphne Blue
    1956 De Soto: Shell Pink
    1957 Chevy: Surf Green
    Not an actual car color: Candy Apple Red
    • The car color series was produced solely as 2002 models. All serial numbers start with MZ2. (no source, but at this point, I am satisfed that none exist with a serial number that starts witn anything but MZ2, at least until someone shows me one)
    • The series used "U" shaped, chunky necks. (source: Fender promotional spec sheet)
    • The series was supposed to be made completely in mahogany (source: Fender promotional spec sheet), but the majority of them seem to be made with ash. In the many examples I have seen (ebay auctions, other photographs, the few I've found in person, my own five, etc.), ash is by far the more common wood.
    "Unconfirmed" information

Specific information on productions numbers is officially unavailable. Fender won't talk. But I think there is a reasonable "internet consensus" on the number, only because it has been repeated and agreed to enough times, via rumor, hearsay, folklore, and what-have-you.

That number is 100 of each. That means there are 1000 of these guitars (both '69RI and '72RI) in existence. Again, this is hearsay, but I have reason to feel the number 100 is correct. Considering that this series was made only 4 years ago, the guitars are relatively uncommon (on ebay, in shops). It seems some dealers had a decent amount of them, and a few got caught with stock they couldn't move at one point. That's why these guitars were occasionally found as blowouts. Since that time (ending sometime in mid-to-late 2005 by my research), it has become nearly impossible to find one as NOS. So the number 100 appears to be the "internet consensus," for what that's worth, and I'm sticking with that in lieu of any actual concrete information.

I have also read (once) that there were 200 of each produced. The person posting had no source whatsoever, so I am considering that as pie-in-the-sky conjecture. The "1000 of each" quoted by Amaryllis above is the first time I've ever heard a number so high, and I would find it highly doubtful there were actually 10,000 of these guitars in existence. The availabilty of them just doesn't seem to support that high a number.

"Pure conjecture:"

This covers the kind of stuff that "somebody who knows somebody was told by somebody that..." These statements may or may be true. I have no idea, but here's "stuff I've heard:"
    • The series was conceived by Jay Black of the Custom Shop, who actually supervised the project.
    • The guitars were painted in the USA and assembled in Mexico.
    • The guitars were actually painted in the USA Custom Shop.
    • The pickups were American pickups, chosen specially for this series (Fender's spec sheet describes them as "Vintage single-coil tele pickups with Alnico Magnets), and different from those used in "ordinary" MIM '69 reissues made at the same time
    This last category would seem to contain the shakiest information.

So that's about it for what I know of these guitars. Obviously, I'm not an "expert," but it seems it's impossible to be and expert on these guitars, given the little info that can be confirmed. Any other information would be appreciated, especially if there is a reliable source attached (wishful thinking :lol:).

19. Tom S

Tom S Friend of Leo's

Aug 3, 2005
    I'd say even the "Buy it Now" price is good, considering the hardshell case, and the fact that it is supposedly in mint condition condition-wise. Some might feel that the upgrades merit a higher price too, as you mentioned. But I'd want it with the original equipment thrown in. Changed parts actually devalue these guitars for me.

20. Fatmanstratman

Fatmanstratman Poster Extraordinaire

Here's my Lake Placid Blue 72 Thinline RI.

All stock. Mint condition purchase from eBay a couple of years back - and a real steal at that!:D

[​IMG]

A really versatile guitar - get one of these and you could get rid of your back-breaking Les Paul....:lol:

21. Brudr

Brudr Tele-Meister

Nov 16, 2006
    West Virginia

The price doesn't seem too bad to me either..............those Glendales ain't cheap. To me, though, unless you get rid of those 1000k pots, any pickup upgrade isn't going to help much. My current LPB Thinline has 250K CTS pots with a SD Alnico Pro II in the neck and a SD Jerry Donahue in the bridge. A very nice blues/classic rock type Tele. :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.