Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

lacquer or tru oil after water aniline dye?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by alathIN, Nov 24, 2017.

1. alathIN

alathIN TDPRI Member

Oct 25, 2017
    Indiana
    I love the way this stain/dye turned out - dumb luck and a nice piece of wood; certainly not from any skill on my part. Keda aniline dye in water.

Original plan was to do multiple layers of tru oil, but wondering how that will react with the water based dye.

My dad has pro auto painting gear and he's very good at it, so I do have good access to lacquer.

Main goal is to highlight the grain and color.
    Secondary goal to make it durable.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Macrogats and jvin248 like this.

2. RamblingRebel

RamblingRebel TDPRI Member

Aug 28, 2017
    Ireland
    I've only ever used tru-oil, and it really does make the grain and colours pop. I think I read somewhere, maybe on here, that with each layer the light travels thru it in a different way so does cool things to the grain and colour.

If you wipe some naptha/lighter fluid on you will get a good idea of what tru-oil will do to the colour.

alathIN likes this.

3. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Tru-oil will probably darken the color significantly.

You can use lacquer - you'll need to apply sanding sealer first. If the wood is fairly porous you'll need sanding sealer and paste wood filler, which means you may be out of sequence depending on your desired result - although you can tint paste wood filler. Not that deep though.

Have you read any lacquer finishing instructions? Even though you mention using bulk equipment it'd be a big help to read the basic finishing material on the Reranch site. It's too involved to cover every material and applicable instructions here.

4. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    Either.
    TO will darken as silverface said it will also make the red lean more towards orange red as TO has an amber cast. The results are immediate when some lacquers yellow with age and that turn would happen gradually.

5. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2007
    Glen Head, NY
    Just because that dye was water soluble doesn't mean it won't also lift into other finishes (some dye powders are soluble in water or alcohol or more exotic solvents). You should do a test panel on some birch or maple veneer plywood. If there's any problem with your choice of topcoat, then it's not the end of the world (although wiped on finishes come out worse than sprayed finishes when bleeding occurs).

There are several ways to control bleeding if the stain wants to dissolve into the topcoat. Simplest approach is to use a mist-coat, a very light first coat, and let that dry to lock in the stain before building a clear finish on top (can't do that with a wiping finish). Second way is with a barrier coat such as dewaxed shellac freshly mixed from flakes.

6. cmclayton101

cmclayton101 Tele-Meister

Oct 12, 2016
    Raleigh, NC
    Beautiful! Tru oil all the way!!!!! Especially for the stain!!

alathIN likes this.

7. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    That is sweet!

Can we see a photo of the back?

alathIN likes this.

8. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    You mean grain?

alathIN likes this.

9. alathIN

alathIN TDPRI Member

Oct 25, 2017
    Indiana
    T
    Thanks for all the encouraging feedback.

I went with lacquer. It's curing now, so no touchee for 14 days. Patience testing, my favorite.

I'll update with some new pics when I get a chance to shoot some.

The back is not as exciting. Straight up ash. I did stain the back and sides a bit darker than the front. The grain is deeper and despite using grain filler it didn't quite glass over with the lacquer and I didn't want to have to buy another quart of mu$ical in$trument lacquer to keep shooting it until it did. So there's going to be some texture on the back and sides but I don't think it's going to bother me much.

10. alathIN

alathIN TDPRI Member

Oct 25, 2017
    Indiana
    That's what I wound up doing - shot a lacquer "tack coat" - actually two - before shooting wet.

It did knock the color intensity down a bit - more like a cherry that could occur in nature than the exaggerated color shown above. But overall I am pleased and will update with some new pictures soon.

11. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    What's with your avatar? Is that a mock-up for this guitar, with a lipstick in the bridge?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.