Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Lace telecaster pickups

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by TG, Mar 24, 2007.

1. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

Just curious.

Anybody use the Lace telecaster pickups?
    What are they like?

2. Bill Ashton

Bill Ashton Tele-Afflicted

I had some in my Squier...

bought them due to the hum from the flourescent lights in my basement...sounded OK, but still had the hum! Figured I had done something wrong with the install. I liked the sound of Fender Vintage Reissues better, although the neck pup was very nearly the same.

I have since installed SD Vintage stacks...bridge p'up is killer, but the neck...dunno...just doesn't sound like a tele neck p'up...

Sooo, thinking of putting the Lace's back in again, and paying closer attention to how I wire them.

Don Mare works (or used to work) with them (Lace)...was very helpful when I first bought them (off eBay). Were I to do it again, I would get the standard neck p'up and perhaps think about the hotter (T150?) bridge p'up.

Good luck!

3. Sarge

Sarge Friend of Leo's

I have a Fernandes TE-1N with Don Lace Noiseless pick ups in them and they are very quite. I can stand right in front of the TV with no noise or interferance at all. They are a bit "bassier" that the usuall tele pick up but nothing that can't be brightened by the tone knob or amp settings. I was impressed, when they said noiseless, they meant noiseless!

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Douglas_Holt

Douglas_Holt Tele-Meister

My 97 ultra has Lace Sensors, they sound good until you listen to a real Tele. Mine have a dry prossessed type sound to'em. Somewhat like an early emg. It's all just personal preference tho. I wont take them out of my 97, but I wont put them in anything else.

Doug

6. '56Teleman

'56Teleman Tele-Afflicted

I used them in a MIM Std. Tele and a Am. Std. Strat a long time ago. In both guitars I thought they were OK, but just OK.

They just don't seem to have the character of "real" Tele pups. A little sterile sounding to me but that's just my opinion. I feel the same about EMG's, yeah, they're quiet but there seems to be something missing. YMMV.

We all like different things and I prefer a vintage style pup. I'm currently using Don Mare's 2324 set in a parts tele and am leaning toward his 0038 set for the next one.

Many players can't stand the hum but it didn't seem to bother Jimi, Eric, Roy, Albert, etc. and I can't hold a candle to those guys.

Good luck in your search for new pups.

7. Big John

Big John RIP

I had 3 Lace sensors in a US James Burton sig model and hated them !, i guess they sounded OK but a Tele it was NOT !!

YMMV of course.

8. Ray G

Ray G Tele-Holic

I have a USA JB sig model also. What pickups did youeplace the Lace Sensors with?

9. Big John

Big John RIP

Ray, i never bothered, i sold the guitar and bought a Japanese pink paisley instead !

As far as i could make out, the JB was just a Tele shaped Strat, having said that, the guy that bought it from me loves it to death !! ------ just goes to show i guess .....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.