Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

lace sensor matching output emg sa ????

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Manish Boy, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Manish Boy

Manish Boy TDPRI Member

I´m currently have the EMG dg20, it´s a nice and versatile set but lets face it, the SA picks only sound good with the active tones. In the other hand the gold lace sensors sound very good by their own, very claptonish. So I was wondering if I can run the lace with the emg spc and the exg without a hassle (having the best of two worlds) and if the Hot gold lace sensor would match the output of the emg SA?

2. Manish Boy

Manish Boy TDPRI Member

3. donh

donh Tele-Afflicted

The EMG stuff kinda lives in it's own world and fails to play nice with others.

I could type in a lot of technical stuff but I don't feel like just now, and the end result is what I typed above.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. 1962guitargeek

1962guitargeek Friend of Leo's

from their site:;) linky (info on page 4)

Can I use EMG accessory circuits on passive pickups?
    Most EMG accessories can be used directly with passive pickups. They are the:
    EMG-PA2, EMG-SPC, EMG-RPC, EMG-VMC, EMG-BTC CONTROL, EMG-BTS CONTROL,
    EMG-BQC CONTROL, EMG-BQS CONTROL
    These EMG accessories cannot be used with passive pickups:
    EMG-EXG, EMG-EXB, EMG-BTC SYSTEM, EMG-BTS SYSTEM, EMG-BQC SYSTEM, EMG-BQS
    SYSTEM

6. Manish Boy

Manish Boy TDPRI Member

I guess the exg alone is not working with pasive pickups, but what if i add a spc? would it work? :?:

7. Drak

Drak Tele-Holic

The output of your pickups compared to the output of the SA pickups don't matter a single bit at all, once they're 'in the system', it doesn't matter.

I actually use EMG pots and hardware in a lot of my custom guitars.

I use their specialty pots (EXG, SPC, RMC, Afterburner) with normal pickups all the time, and I also have a guitar with EMG pots and EMG pickups too (a Lukather setup).

When using standard pickups, you use standard volume and tone pots (250K or 500K).

When using EMG pickups, you use their 25K pots.

The 'secret' to using EMG pots with passive pickups is to always use the Afterburner or the PA-2 (they are the same pre-amp in different formats), once you stick that in, you can freely use any of the other pots they offer.
    So your setup listed above would work just fine if you could stick in the PA-2 pre-amp as well (which is basically just a pre-amp on a mini-toggle switch).

A note though: I think you're OK with the Laces, but this is a lot of power to throw a regular SC pickup at, if they're microphonic at ALL...fuggedaboudit, you'll have the howl of the banshees.

If you're going to use the EMG gear, I would suggest shielding the guitar thoroughly, and use pickups that are inherently very quiet, which I think the Laces are indeed.

Here are a few of my custom setups, the basic layout is this-a-way:
    Top Row Front to Back:
    Volume/Tone/Afterburner pre-amp
    Bottom Row Front to Back:
    EMG EXG/EMG SPC

Lollar Mini-Hum neck, Fralin 5% underwound bridge
    [​IMG]

Barden Strat neck, Don Mare 2324 'Nancy' bridge
    [​IMG]

Duncan Phat Cat neck, Harmonic Design S-90 bridge
    [​IMG]

8. 1962guitargeek

1962guitargeek Friend of Leo's

Fwiw, since I posted last I swapped in some Lace Silvers into my #1 strat, with a Blue in the neck. I also installed a EMG SPC....much goodness....:mrgreen:

9. Manish Boy

Manish Boy TDPRI Member

having the exg and spc already intalled would manage run the pasive pups without the pre amp? remember that i only going to change the sa for the lace!!!

10. smoss469

smoss469 Tele-Afflicted

Do you have a problem matching Active EMG and passive pickup? I know EMG's are real funny about being grounded, I believe the actives should NOT be grounded.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.