Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Kustom defender?!?!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Delta63, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Delta63

Delta63 Tele-Holic

Nov 20, 2010
  2. Wally

Wally Telefied

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    There is a definite possiblity that that particular Defender is all-tube. I am going to doubt that the larger ones are all-tube. The larger DEfenders that have reverb are definitely not all-tube amps.
  3. sammy123

sammy123 Tele-Meister

Jul 25, 2011
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Wally

Wally Telefied

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Sammy, imho 'all tube' means that all signal processing is in the tube domain...preamp, power amp and all on-board effects. IMe, this is how most techs look at amplification methods.
    None of those Kustom amps is all-tube. In fact, many modern amps that are purported to be 'all tube' are not in fact all-tube amps. Fender Hot Rod and Blues Deluxe/Devilles are not all tube in that the reverb is in the solid state domain. Peavy Classic 30's and 50's are the same way. Many of the big Marshalls process the reverb in the solid state domain. JCM 900 Dual REverbs process not just the reverb but much of the gain stages in the solid state domain. I find it informative to soem extent to count the number of preamp tubes. IF an amp does reverb and some extra gain but only has one tube, it is in effect a hybrid amp to some extent. IF it does reverb and gain but has 3 12A_7 tubes, it is qeustionable that it is all-tube.
    LOok at a vintage Fender REverb amp. IF you did away with the Normal channel;, you could do away with one 12AX7. You would still have 5 12A_7's in the amp...and there is no hi-gain going on. It takes 5 12A_7's to do the preamp, the reverb, the vibrato and the PI in that single channel, non-switching gain type of scheme.
    this 'all-tube' hype or simply 'tube amp' thing from manufacturers is much like the Class A usually isn't a case of the 'truth, nothing but the truth' type of claim. Buyer beware, right? That is, beware if all-tube makes any difference to you. I hear that SS reverb.
  6. Sandia Man

Sandia Man Tele-Meister

Nov 17, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    I wouldn't get it unless you were happy with what it did without any modifications or experiments
  7. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's

I'm intrigued by that one, too. In fact I posted a thread, but only got a couple of responses. For $90, how bad could it be if you have a decent extension cab to plug into. Looking around the net, the reviews seem to be ok, but nothing to write home about.
  8. bsman

bsman Tele-Meister

Jun 8, 2003
    Santa Clara
    FYI, Hello Music had a deal on these -- $122 for the Defender 5H head with a 12" cab. Since I've been looking for a cab to plug a Fane speaker I traded for anyway, I figured WTH. I've got to say -- it sounds very nice. The tone is reminiscent of my late, lamented Pro Jr. except that the 12" speaker gives it a roundness that the Jr lacked. Also, the poster above who complained about non-tube effects: There are NO effects! No Reverb, NOTHING! This thing is (like the Pro Jr.) simplicity itself -- there is an on-off switch, a volume knob, and three outputs in back for 4, 8, or 16 ohm cabinets. I'm pretty pleased with the deal.
  9. tweedtone

tweedtone Tele-Afflicted

Dec 2, 2004
    Tampa Bay, FL
    There's a positive review in the new Guitar Player.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.