Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Korean G&L

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Pauly Bracciolli, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Pauly Bracciolli

Pauly Bracciolli TDPRI Member

Jul 11, 2017
    California
    I have an opportunity to purchase a G&L.

It's an early Tribute series ASAT Special Semi-Hollow. Very rare. Made in Korea. Any information out there about these?

2. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2017
    West Virginia
    You might get some answers/info at the guitarsbyleo.com forums.

3. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Jul 2, 2009
    Northeast Pa
    I find that forum to be very inactive, compared to here. There is a great bit of information there though to sift through.

4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I've only ever played one of these, over in South Carolina, in 2007. There was nothing remarkable about it, next to the other Tributes I tried - a half a wall covered in them.

Getting the guys in Korea to understand what they were building, takes time and patience. By the time this specific guitar got made, G + L was moving away from the Special configuration and towards the Classic, and IMO a lot more thought was going into the Semi-Hollow versions of the Classics, and that was in California and even more so "downstream" at the replica plant (Cort, South Korea) Specials and especially thinlined Specials were just the odd man out. And this combined with the fact that Korea was losing the contract to Cortek in Surabaya, this is kinda like a 9 legged insect. Yeah, it is rare, but what good exactly is this 9 legged critter?

They are going to expect top money - it isn't worthy of that, knowing you could find a nicer used ASAT Special made in Fullerton for just a hundred or two hundred more.

You know, in ten years, nobody is going to care that a contractor once made replicas for G + L in Korea. I would spend my money on the USA instruments.

Tacomamc says the G + L forum is pretty quiet - wait and see how quiet it is when you mention interest in a non California instrument.

5. JagInTheBag

JagInTheBag TDPRI Member

Sep 23, 2017
    Grayslake, IL
    We are a quiet, but tight-knit group over at GbL, most new members join once buying a Tribute. Which, BTW- is not a "replica", it is the real McCoy. My first G&L was a Tribute WR Signature- great guitar, super build quality. I only sold it once I saved my pennies to buy the USA version you see in my profile pic.

As for the ASAT Special Semi-Hollow- that is a great sounding guitar, don't buy it for "collectibility", buy it because it plays and sounds good. Very underrated, not unlike the ASAT Classic Custom. It is unique, which makes it a conversation piece. You likely won't find even a USA very easily. Save your $200 and pick it up.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.