Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Korean Fender Squier series?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by gip111, Dec 8, 2018.

1. gip111

gip111 TDPRI Member

May 5, 2016
    New Jersey USA
    So this is new to me. Just got this off the local CL. Frets are somewhat on the low side just making .030" in height with some dents, I might go ahead and replace the frets but leveled them just enough to give it a try before I go and perform surgery. No clue what's under the hood and didn't sound too bad with the rusty old strings. I never saw one of these before and any information would be appreciated. 20181208_125302.jpg 20181208_125246.jpg

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    You might want to ask over at squier-talk.com and see if anyone over there can give you the exact ID.

If I remember correctly, these were made in the mid to late 90's and were pretty decent inexpensive guitars, especially for the time. It was just before Cort moved most guitar production from Korea to Indonesia.

3. gip111

gip111 TDPRI Member

May 5, 2016
    New Jersey USA
    I'll take info i can get, never saw this before. Sounds real nice with new strings and a set-up. Not sure if I should have posted this in the Squier Forum, since it does say Fender on it.
    Thanks.

4. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 7, 2009
    Reading, Massachusetts
    I think I remember reading that they stopped making the Squier Series in Korea once Ensenada got up to speed, at which point Far Eastern electronics and single-ply PGs on MIMs turned them into Squier Series instruments with the famous “black label.”

That all happened around 1994 or so.

soulman969 and hdvades like this.
  5. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Mar 6, 2016
    Hudson Valley, NY
    +1 above. What Picton said.

6. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Virginia Beach, VA
  7. gip111

gip111 TDPRI Member

May 5, 2016
    New Jersey USA
    I guess not a lot of these around? I happened to run into a guy selling the Tele and a Strat also Fender Squier series and got them both. The Strat is of lesser quality than the Tele but boy does it chime! That was a surprise to me and had to go and look at the pickups, original ceramics. The Tele has Alnico pickups and sounds very twangy.

8. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Almost identical to my #1 (avatar) 1993 Korean Fender Squier. Mine was originally red. It was "decent" as it was, but I bought it to "play around" with. In around eighteen years I've changed the neck, pickups, (four or five times) bridge (four times) pickguard, pots, and of course stripped finish to natural. I played a gig last night, and had several people come up and compliment me on how good it sounded. (I guess I didn't have anything to do with it ;)) I call it my "mongrelcaster" because of the mix of parts.....
    ....and as bgmacaw said, made by Cort.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.