Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Know of any "Famous Tele-Players" who love the Classic Vibe... Anyone?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by rotsap, Nov 29, 2017.

1. rotsap

rotsap TDPRI Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Canada
    Beuller...? Beuller ... ?? Anyone?

I got to wondering, for instance, my own CV is a 2010 Telecaster model. I've known of guys with 2008 models and surely there are even earlier CVs I'm sure. So there have been oodles and oodles of love for the Vintage accuracy and odes to the playability of these amazing instruments. So now that almost a decade has come and gone I wonder if these low-cost gems have ever been picked up by the likes of a Vince Gill, or Brent Mason? Anybody? ...?

Old Style Fender Vintage looking pic.jpg

Attached Files:

2. trahx

trahx Tele-Meister

Dec 30, 2004
    Timber Town USA
    I haven't seen or heard of anyone famous with a CV. I do know that the late Jeff Healey (RIP) played a Squier regularly.

3. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

John 5 has a signature Squier. I think he does play it now and then....

upload_2018-4-12_9-30-33.png

Jim Root of Slipknot also. Neither are Vince Gill or Brent Mason, but they are both famous. J5 can lay down some pretty good country licks, too.

bender66 likes this.

4. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    I'd say a lot of those caliber guys have vintage examples and/or guitars made for them. Even if they like the Squier, I doubt you'll see them playing them, and not because of the name on the guitar, but because there are so many great builders out there that would like their instruments played.

Besides, I don't know a lot of really good players that play 'off the rack' guitars. And I don't mean to suggest that every good guitar player is a 'modder' cause I've experienced the opposite.

It's just that with a guitar as simple as the tele, it's usually the case that it's just as easy to work with a builder or even just an assembler and spec it to your desire.

5. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I agree with screamin eagle. The pro players that use Squiers are probably doing so for the following reasons: 1) they are pros but don't make a ton of money--starving artists, basically; 2) they have to be on the road a lot and play all kinds of venues and don't want to have costly guitars lost or stolen or damaged; 3) they are pretty good at basic setup and other mods and so have modded a Squier or two to meet their needs; 4) they can be cheap backup guitars in case something happens to their main axe or they just break a string; 5) it's something they can play a little bit, sign with a Sharpie, and give away to a fan (Keith Urban does this all the time).

I once bought a brand new Squier Strat in GC for something like $100. It was probably an Affinity Strat. Anyway, it sounded and played surprisingly great, especially after a few minor setup tweaks. The cheap ceramic pickups in it were great for a blues-rock or SRV sound. I ended up using it for several gigs, but then I flipped it. I should have kept it!

jfitch45 and kbraker like this.

6. Chris H.

Chris H. Tele-Afflicted

Jan 2, 2010
    UK

7. dqami

dqami Tele-Holic

Feb 11, 2004
    Richie Furays lead guitarist Scott plays a vintage blond CV tele at their concerts ( solo, Poco, Buffalo Springfield)

8eighty likes this.

8. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    `
    I just noticed that this was on old thread, but what the hay...

I owned a 2011 Squier Classic Vibe Tele which was excellent, but sold it because I also have American and Mexican made Fender Teles that are equally excellent and, given the choice, if I were on the big stage I'd most definitely be playing them for sure.

Performing with a certain guitar is the same as endorsing them and endorsing an Asian guitar over an American or Mexican model reflects a specific heritage and since the Telecaster design has a more American/Mexican heritage then it seems to make more sense endorsing that. After all, if I were a Samurai Sword performer (is that a thing?) I'd want my sword to be made in Japan, not Corona! Does that make sense?

So, before you start thinking I'm some sort of anti-Asian-made guitar-snob, one of my favorite guitars these days is this super-customized Fender Modern Player neck with a Squier SE body (both Crafted in China) StratoPartscaster and I would be fine playing it on any stage:

Squier 2018.JPG

Of course if Fender did make an American equivalent (with the same features and mods) I'd most likely be using that one instead (but still have a Chinese version of my "signature" model ;)).

I know, know... but I'm just being truthful and I'd be willing to bet most people would do the same thing if put in a similar situation...

`

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018

9. Tooned

Tooned TDPRI Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Adding to the old thread too...
    According to Equipboard.com Troy Van Leeuwen of Queens of the Stone Age plays a CV Tele.
    Apparently he's playing one live here(though really it could be any bsb tele if only judging from the vid)...

He promoted a VM Jazzmaster in this video though, saying it works well for their stuff tuned to C.

10. robinsong

robinsong TDPRI Member

Feb 23, 2017
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Mike Henderson plays a Squier CV bsb Tele with Billy Gibbons in. Video on here somewhere.

11. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Meister

May 28, 2018
    Dayton, OH
    Tobin Sprout used one on the 2014 Guided by Voices tour, initially as a backup to his ‘68 Tele, but it became his primary. He swapped out the electronics for Duncan Antiquities.

12. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Holic

Mar 30, 2017
    Port Arthur TX
    If they would beef up those necks they might have something....you would think after all the years they have been out they would...everyone I have owned was a pencil thin neck and a hand killer...horrible.

13. Matthew Leo

Matthew Leo TDPRI Member

Feb 5, 2011
    Maine
    I love the thin necks.

Solszewski1963 likes this.

14. ElJay370

ElJay370 TDPRI Member

Apr 3, 2018
    Los Angeles, CA
    While not a CV, J. Mascis from Dinosaur Jr. plays his signature model Squire Jazzmaster on stage pretty regularly.

15. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Meister

May 28, 2018
    Dayton, OH
    J. Mascis plays drums in the band Sweet Apple. I was a roadie for Guided by Voices when Sweet Apple opened, and I’d be counting merch during their soundcheck. Anyway, after they finished, J would noodle on guitar for a while. It was awesome!

ElJay370 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.