Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Know Anything About A 102 Capacitor? More Treble-No Bass

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Vintage Fan, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Vintage Fan

Vintage Fan Tele-Meister

Sep 10, 2014
    Dallas
    Know Anything About A 102 Capacitor?

I installed a 102 capacitor .001 uf in my Am. Spcl Tele & 50's Road Worn Tele. Don't know the brand. I got it in a bag of unmarked misc. capacitors. When rolling the tone pot back, I don't get any bass. All the way back to zero, I get a little more treble than when the tone knob is on 10. It's subtle, but noticable when playing clean. I like this. In years past, I always left the tone knob on 10, and often I'd remove the tone pot, or install a 500k or 1meg.

The wiring I use in both teles is the 50's wiring like in the 50's Road Worn Teles, and the wiring is correct.

I also installed new CTS audio taper 250k pots. I plug straight into a Super Reverb, no pedals.

Anybody know why this 102 .001uf takes the bass out and adds in some noticable subtle treble when dialing the tone pot back to zero?....Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  2. Tele-phone man

Tele-phone man Tele-Afflicted

Sep 11, 2006
    Asheville, NC
    It should give you a midrange bump, but it should not cut bass. Something is wrong with the way it is wire in.

JD0x0 likes this.
  3. Tele-phone man

Tele-phone man Tele-Afflicted

Sep 11, 2006
    Asheville, NC
    It should give you a midrange bump, but it should not cut bass. Something is wrong with the way it is wire in.

4. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    102 is just disc cap code for 1000 picofarad (10 followed by two zeros). 1000 picofarads = .001 microfarads. So 102 just states the value in a different unit.

How did you install it? As a replacement for the stock tone cap, or in some other configuration?

Typical tone caps are .022 to .047. I’d be surprised if you could hear much of a rolloff with a .001 as the tone cap because the rolloff frequency would be higher than we typically even hear with guitar.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  5. Finck

Finck Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2017
    São Paulo - Brazil
    With a 102 Cap (1nF or 1,000pF or 0.001 uF) you should have an almost non functional tone control. The cap is too small to cut the treble. And the conventional tone control doesn't affect the bass anyway.
    I guess you have an incorrect or unconventional wiring.

6. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Jun 19, 2009
    Nashville TN
    A .001uf cap would cut lows if it was wired in series with the signal rather than to ground. SRV is said to have used a series cap for this purpose. It would also cut lows if wired as a treble bleed cap. Wired correctly, you should be getting a subtle high cut. Might want to check your work.

JD0x0 likes this.
  7. beninma

beninma Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Given the amount of time it takes to open the guitar and desolder/solder in a new capacitory why would you ever just put in a random cap that you got in an unmarked bag?

8. beninma

beninma Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Given the amount of time it takes to open the guitar and desolder/solder in a new capacitory why would you ever just put in a random cap that you got in an unmarked bag?

.001uf is a standard value for the "simple" treble bleed in a Tele.. it should work great with a 250K volume & tone pot setup along with a 0.047uf tone pot. I have that setup in my Telecaster and it's fantastic.

9. Vintage Fan

Vintage Fan Tele-Meister

Sep 10, 2014
    Dallas
    23FDA942-5A36-491E-8F08-A94FCD438043.jpeg

Here's the wiring diagram I use. I wired the guitar correctly. I wired my other 2 Am Spcl's and two 50's Road Worn this way using a .047 capacitor. I wired them exactly the same as the teles I put the .001 in and bass is introduced when dialing the tone knob back; or maybe I should say treble is reduced.

As to why I'd open a bag of misc capacitors and wire one into the guitar. I like to experiment with tones. I also try different combinations of multiple name brands of pickups and I have had some custom wound pickups made. Also I try different strings, bridges, metals, pots, nut materials, saddle materials-everything on the guitar experimenting with tones.

The .001 capacitor is in two of my teles now(wired correctly as seen in the diagram) and each has no effect on bass when rolling the tone pot back. It does introduce a little more mids & hi's when rolling the tone pot back to zero, only noticable playing clean plugged straight into my Super Reverb.

10. Vintage Fan

Vintage Fan Tele-Meister

Sep 10, 2014
    Dallas
    I might add that with the .001, when the tone pot is rolled back to zero, it introduces a little more mid growl when digging in on the attack a little.

11. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    I don't know why you are getting the effect you are getting with this set-up but I certainly believe you when you say you are. One small comment is even though the wiring diagram you posted above is labeled "Road Worn 50's Tele", this diagram is not "50's wiring." It is what I would call modern standard wiring. 50's wiring looks like this:
    200702_telewiringtricks_3.jpg
    Only the red wire is different from "standard", like your drawing. Here's the article I copied this from:
    https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/the-telecaster-mod-guide-1

Cheers,
    Rex

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  12. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    I don't know why you are getting the effect you are getting with this set-up but I certainly believe you when you say you are. One small comment is even though the wiring diagram you posted above is labeled "Road Worn 50's Tele", this diagram is not "50's wiring." It is what I would call modern standard wiring. 50's wiring looks like this:
    View attachment 559110
    Only the red wire is different from "standard", like your drawing. Here's the article I copied this from:
    https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/the-telecaster-mod-guide-1

Cheers,
    Rex

13. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
  14. Vintage Fan

Vintage Fan Tele-Meister

Sep 10, 2014
    Dallas
    D8221C7D-2F81-4214-A176-802117F9C9EF.jpeg

Thanks for the wiring diagram explanation. The diagram I posted seems to do ok for my desire.

Here's the same diagram I use, but this one is labeled "50's Telecaster".....It's the same diagram as the earlier one I posted that is labeled "Road Worn 50's Tele."

Attached Files:

15. Vintage Fan

Vintage Fan Tele-Meister

Sep 10, 2014
    Dallas
    Any administrators here who can fix the problem of these postings appearing twice? Thanks.

Attached Files:

16. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Yes, I understand the labeling on the diagrams you have posted. Remember Fender can call the guitars they sell anything they want. And "50's - anything" regarding guitars sells like crazy, so they use that term a lot. But none of those Fender diagrams you posted are what most folks would call "50's wiring" and in truth, I don't know if Fender ever even used "50's wiring." But Gibson did and some folks like to use it these days too, on both humbuckers and single coils. When applied to a telecaster circuit it looks like what I posted above with the red wire being the difference. I don't like it myself, much preferring the diagrams you have posted, which are pretty much standard telecaster wiring ever since the broadcaster blend circuit when the way of the dinosaur, as far as I know.

Cheers,
    Rex

17. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Meister

Jun 2, 2015
    Arkansas
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.