Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Know Anything About A 102 Capacitor? More Treble-No Bass

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Vintage Fan, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Vintage Fan

Vintage Fan Tele-Meister

Sep 10, 2014
    Dallas
    I don't know why this got posted twice....

Know Anything About A 102 Capacitor?

I installed a 102 capacitor .001 uf in my Am. Spcl Tele & 50's Road Worn Tele. Don't know the brand. I got it in a bag of unmarked misc. capacitors. When rolling the tone pot back, I don't get any bass. All the way back to zero, I get a little more treble. It's subtle, but noticable when playing clean. I like this. In years past, I always left the tone knob on 10, and often I'd remove the tone pot, or install a 500k or 1meg.

I also installed new CTS audio taper 250k pots. I plug straight into a Super Reverb, no pedals.

Anybody know why this 102 .001uf takes the bass out and adds in some noticable subtle treble when dialing the tone pot back to zero?....Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  2. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2014
    Arivaca AZ
    .001 is not a good value for a tone control

try a .022 .03 or .047 which are normal values

.001 would work for a treble bleed on a volume pot
    Which sounds like what you made

Check your wiring scheme.

show a pic

3. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    1000pF is just shifting the resonant peak, on the tone control. It might sound brighter depending on your pickups.

For example. Lets say your tone wide open has the resonant peak at 8khz. Since most guitar speakers only reach to 5khz, you wont get to hear that extended high end. Now, suppose you shift that frequency down with a cap. Let's pretend the 1000pF cap shifts the resonant peak down to 5Khz, while this is technically 'darker' because the highs don't reach as high, due to the speaker being able to reproduce the 5Khz peak very well, the sound will actually appear brighter to us. I've noticed the same effect on my Microcoil tele which gives me capacitance values from 500pF up to about 18,000pF (18nF/.018uF)

You want a bigger cap if you're trying to reduce highs more. You don't necessarily have to use 22nF, 33nF or 47nF as listed above. Yes, those are common values, but IMO, too big to be nicely effective, IME. My happy place seems to be anywhere between 4.7nF and 10nF, depending on the pickups, and how much 'cut' I need on the highs.. Finer control of the high end, and less unusable 'mud' through the tone control's range, is generally why I go for the smaller values. Everyone has different tastes.. I found, I don't like the big caps, unless I need a big treble cut for the Flute-y E-Bow sounds, with some overdrive. Lots of overtones generated, so a bit more cut works, there.

4. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    1) take a 6' lehgth of small guage type spkr wire solder the wiire where the contacts of the Cap go in your guitar.
    2) take bunch of different value caps and one by one attach them to the oposite leads of the wire to test them out to see what suits your needs the best
    .001 Uf is way to small of a value , depending on the type of pickups you are using ( singles =.022 Uf, buckers .047 Uf range ) try different values to see what works for you
    the values i indicated are guidelines only , let your ears be the judge

5. Zipslack

Zipslack Tele-Meister

Jun 8, 2011
    Mississippi
    BTW, "102" is cap code for 1000pF (or .001uf). 102 == 10 and 2 more zeroes = 1000pF. It's not a type of cap...it's the value.

AAT65 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.