Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Kitty Wells - It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Joefish, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Joefish

Joefish Tele-Afflicted

2. slippin slider

slippin slider Tele-Afflicted

What the question?
    Oh yes she's the greatest.

3. Joefish

Joefish Tele-Afflicted

Hi .... I haven’t heard this since the ice age

Here in suburban Philadelphia, a local station (WRDV) has a killer old time country show on Friday nights and on occasion, I’ll share a cool tune … (BTW, the DJ must have a PHD in PSG, because the stuff he plays just kills me)

A few things stopped me on my original post … the first link was not the original that I heard on the radio …. The disconnect … we’re they lip syncing on the GOP, who was that killer picker with the glasses … who played on the original recording … still interested in the gear from the GOP video

The studio version was cut in 1952

what a perfect recording

Shot Jackson on steel guitar in the 52 original

A little additional info

Johnnie Wright and Jack Anglin started playing together in 1938, forming a loose-knit country string band featuring Johnnie's new wife Muriel Deason, whom he would later rename Kitty Wells.

http://www.cmt.com/artists/johnnie-and-jack/biography/

So, how did that work back then at the GOP … I guess they would cut a version and lip sync later

And, looking into this, I had forgotten, but this was an Answer Song

… Paul Cohen, then A&R for Decca Records, was looking for a female singer to record the answer to Hank Thompson's number one hit, "The Wild Side Of Live".
    http://www.kittywells.com/facts.html#JohnnieandJack

1952: "It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels"[edit]
    In 1952, Paul Cohen, an executive at Decca Records, approached Wells to record "It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels".[4] Wells was disenchanted with her career prospects and was considering retirement, but agreed to the session (at Owen Bradley’s studio on May 3, 1952) because of the $125 union scale recording payment. "I wasn't expecting to make a hit," said Wells later. "I just thought it was another song."[3] "It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels" was an answer song to Hank Thompson's "The Wild Side of Life", and its lyrical treatment of seductive, wayward women. Wells' single retorted, "It's a shame that all the blame is on us women."[8][9]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitty_Wells

In the GOP video, that's Mr. Paul Yandell (a killer guitar picker)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.