Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Kitchen aluminum foil as cavity shielding ?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by littlebadboy, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    I went to the Home Depot and Lowe's in my area looking for the slug tape last year, they didn't have it and had never heard of it. That when I got the aluminum tape, it's a lot easier than trying to glue aluminum foil in place.

2. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    It should be the same as the adhesive of the Slug Tape which wasn't made for cavity shielding of guitars. I haven't had any issues with the aluminum tape, but I haven't been on any stages for some time.

3. fenderrookie

fenderrookie A fan of Leo! Ad Free + Supporter

Jul 12, 2005
    east of East St Louis

4. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2015
    Da' Magic Mittin'
    On one of my guitars, I did the aluminum tape in strips going in one direction. Then took a piece of wrapped up aluminum foil in a strip, put it down the middle of a piece of tape, and then ran the tape across the aluminum strips.

Of course, the shielding of my guitars looks like a complete, total hack-job. But it works.

Barncaster likes this.

5. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

I have shielded a couple dozen guitars with one roll of that Nashua aluminum tape. Keep in mind that the cavity shielding even when done right (using an ohm meter to verify electrical continuity) only fixes half the idle noise of the guitar -- replace the two bare wires that go to the jack with a shielded cable.

6. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

7. televillian

televillian Tele-Meister

Oct 3, 2013
    prescott valley az

8. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

Aug 13, 2009
    Mobile, AL
    +1!!

Also, if you use HVAC aluminum tape and need to jumper two areas together (because the adhesive is not conductive) you can take a strip of regular aluminum foil and tape it down with clear packing tape. Works great!

John

9. 2blue2

2blue2 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 20, 2013
    Island of Oahu

HA ha, and keeps aliens from interfacing with your brain!

nojazzhere likes this.

10. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Afflicted

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    MISCONCEPTION!!!!.....they still get through occasionally.

Crafty Fox likes this.

11. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine

12. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    Blue Bill likes this.

13. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Holic

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    As long as there is continuity throughout the cavity, of course it will. Will it look nice? Maybe not... is foil/copper tape cheap at home depot? Yes, you won't use the whole roll anyway. Some kinds come with a coating over the foil though so watch out for that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.