Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Kit build gone wild

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Semi solid waste, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Vitadog

Vitadog Tele-Meister

Jun 22, 2014
    Somonauk, IL
    image.png
    I used this which was easy to route, has a lip to hide my poor routing skills and to me adds some sustain. Looks great and you can order a template.

knockeduptele likes this.

2. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    It's a bolt on correct?

Before I did ANYTHING i'd mock the whole thing up i.e. build it without finish, etc. Run the E/e strings to the bridge saddles. Make sure it comes together so you can adjust hardware, routing, before you do anything drastic. Make a plan. Then disassemble & start again.

Am i understanding correctly that you're altering your modern bridge placement to accommodate the existing pickup route? As others here are alluding to, i'm not sure that will work. You'll screw up your scale length if i'm following you.

3. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    I wouldn't attempt to drill string holes without a drill press.

Those holes need to be straight, and even.

On the other hand, a top-loading Tele was good enough for Jimmy Page, so...

4. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca

Like I said, there are companies that make modern conversion bridges with six saddles, designed for vintage string placement. Like Gotoh. http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and...6uEjXH2p8-AbzFLYMBRVFlShEwB6ymwRoCrwAQAvD_BwE

[​IMG]

bender66, tombob and LutherBurger like this.

5. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018

6. user34603

user34603 Tele-Meister

Dec 5, 2016
    Richmond VA
    ...you missed the important part... the fellow has a need for a customized solution or 2 and the kit is not designed and cut to match his new requirements. And he is free to take a swipe at fixing it, if he wants to take the risk of figuring it out as he goes.

7. user34603

user34603 Tele-Meister

Dec 5, 2016
    Richmond VA

8. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    He doesn't need to take any risk. As I and others in this thread have pointed out, there are several options for modern six saddle bridges that fit vintage string through holes and pickup routes. Even the MIM standard bridge will do that.

He doesn't need to modify the body at all, and I wouldn't recommend it, and many here have recommended against it.

9. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    He may need to deepen the pickup cavities for the noiseless pickups, but that's not clear yet.

LowThudd likes this.

10. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    Good point. I don't have experience with those.

11. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2010
    Sonora, TX
    Deepening the PU routes isn't that big of a deal really. For one thing the pickguard and bridge will cover imperfections in that. A good sharp wood chisel will do it and you can take your time. You could also pick up one of those cheap MIC small routers, Harbor Freight or somewhere like that usually has the for $20 and they're handy to have around. I'd get one with either a built in speed control or pick up a foot operated speed controller with it so you can run it slower. I've used one of those small Chinese routers for quite a few PU cavity enlargements and adding middle PU routes to Teles, I've got bigger "better" routers but the size of those small ones are really easy to use for that kind of job.
    As long as you don't go past the edges of the bridge plate you're good even if it doesn't turn out to be perfect, nobody will ever see it but you.

bender66 likes this.

12. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    A bearing bit would make pickup route deepening "almost" foolproof.

13. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2010
    Sonora, TX
    I haven't built a guitar kit in a very long time. I've done quite a few "partscasters" over the years. I have better luck putting together exactly what I want that way (although I wouldn't mind getting a Carvin/Kiesel kit).
    I'm wanting to put together a mahogany body Tele or Strat with mini humbuckers in both positions. I'm sure I'll end up buying separate parts to build it though, it's a little more expensive than some of the kits but I seem come out ahead in the end that way. I can get the body wood, routings, hardware, fingerboard, electronics, etc. that I really want, or at least much closer than a kit offers.
    I think the kits are a good starting point if you haven't done a lot of guitar work and you're wanting to learn and get started. If you're just getting into working on instruments I would definitely stick with the type of hardware the kit was designed for, there's nothing wrong with getting better quality hardware but if this is a learning experience build I'd sure stick to what fits without filling/redrilling a lot.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.