King of tone?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by jomazq, Feb 6, 2019.

1. jomazq

jomazq Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

So, I was listening to some review videos of pedals and I left my phone in the kitchen with the volume reasonably up, since I was sending to the kids to break up a fight or something.

A few minutes later the wife exclaims with a subdued -holy....

I come over and see that she's googling the king of tone pedal. Dollar dollar bills , as the kids like to say.

She was apparently shopping for a good Valentines day gift.

I waved her off at first but ... Is it really that good ? The only other pedal that really stood out to her has been the Hyperion fuzz , which I will likely be buried with. I'll be honest, I never really took a shine to the king of tone. I always saw it as being passe and a little bit over blown in the market. But, am I missing out ?

2. brogh

brogh Assistant Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    i't one of the most praised pedals around for sure .. but the waiting list is like 2 years ... :)

Status as of On todays date of January 30, 2019:

King Of Tone is now shipping to people who got on the waiting list on or anytime before:

November 17, 2016 (not 2017).

you can go used but there are some crazy prices around

kevsonic likes this.
  3. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

No, you're not missing anything, IMO. It's just a pedal. Lotsa pedals. AM makes good stuff, but it's not magic.

The thing that always puzzles the crap out of me:

There's a huge waiting list, but the pedal is simply a dual version of the Prince of Tone, and those are readily available for about $150 a pop. And then you can ask yourself if you really need both halves...

I've owned the PoT twice, and each time never really felt it was all that.... YMMV of course.

kevsonic and milocj like this.
  4. Stratohacker

Stratohacker Tele-Holic

There is a lot of hype surrounding the pedal that is fed by the legion of positive reviews and pedal's limited availability. If you get past all of that and just think of the pedal in terms of utility, I think its like most gear, it comes down to personal tastes.

Personally, I love the pedal, and its one I'm never going to move. For me it just adds a great natural sounding grit and boost. It allows me to shape my driven tones in away that is superior to anything else I've used (IMHO).

The nice thing about this pedal is that you can get on the waiting list. Eventually get the pedal. Try it out and either you'll like it and keep it. Or sell it for more than you paid for it.

5. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

It's just a Bluesbreaker. You can get a JHS Morning Glory, Wampler Pantheon, or Mooer Blues Crab, and you won't have to wait two or three years.

chemobrain and brogh like this.
  6. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I am on the waiting list as of 7/19/2018. If it was offered to me today I'd probably go ahead and get it and see what all the fuss is about. Will I feel the same in 18 months? We shall see...my back up Magnavibe arrived today, so I really have no need for additional pedals I'll never use. It's very tempting, the new pedals have cool names and colors, BUT, I really have no interest in collecting pedals just because I can, it has to add something that I don't have. Can't imagine what that could be??....

RJ

7. Peregrino69

Peregrino69 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

If you like the sound and just simply can't get it with ANYTHING else, sure it is. But chances are huge that there's a ton of other, cheaper pedals which give you the exact same sound.

After all the sound is a result of your signal chain. Sure, the guy who does intheblues in Youtube got real nice tones, but he's playing a Squier strat into Fender amp, neither of which I have. Would it sound the same in my setup? I doubt it.

8. kevsonic

kevsonic Tele-Meister

A Rullywow Queen of Bone or Doxasound clone is likely to be the same thing, for the price of a PoT and no wait.

But I did say "likely".

I'm on the list myself!

Urshurak776 likes this.
  9. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

I sold my KOT cause I like the CMAT Butah better with my tele. The KOT was a great pedal but there are others out ther that hold,their own IMHO

10. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

The King of Tone is a great pedal and a great value. So if you're not in a hurry, you might as well get on the waiting list and see if you want it when your name comes up in 2082 or something. I used to have a KoT and liked it but traded it for a bunch of gear. I have a Prince of Tone now, but I'm on the waiting list for another King. It's not simply a Bluesbreaker, but that was its starting point. It's well made and well thought out. But I wouldn't pay the crazy used prices for one.

For what it's worth, I like it best live in a band mix, not at home, where the mids can sound a bit honky.

11. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

Is it really that good? ... What a good looking question. I don't think it is worth what the used market wants for one. I think it is good enough for the asking price and waiting list. I also think you can get there quicker and cheaper these days. I think there are a lot of bluesbreaker pedals out there and complimentary pedals/boosts you can stack with it that make the concept of the king of tone look outdated and inflexible by comparison.

12. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

I was on the list forever and had forgotten... got the email awhile back. I have since messed with a POT and I'm not going to shell out big bucks for something that is already covered in my current pedal board. Besides, the POT is not $$$.

13. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

I'm on the list too, and it's been quite a while. I have since found happiness with the Camel Toe as far as a dual pedal goes. Frankly, I think there is more versatility to be had stacking any number of overdrive/boost pedals one might already have than going with a dual pedal. Most Bluesbreaker types out there are not direct clones, including the KOT, but 'improved' versions on the BB shortcomings with common options. They are plentiful, including the POT.

14. BladeStratford

BladeStratford TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I've had a KOT on my board for many years because it's so flexible. Very solid clean boost option coupled with a great OD sound so really two pedals in one. The OD sound is a bit mid heavy so I find it works better with my Fender Vibrolux vs. the Dr. Z Z-28 I use as my current main amp which already has a more mid heavy tone. I use a Lovepedal Amp Eleven OD pedal with the Dr. Z as it's very close to the KOT without the mid boost. With that in mind... a good clean boost pedal in front of the Lovepedal Amp Eleven OD will get you fairly close to the KOT without the wait or the used market costs. I'm happy to have both on my board but if I had to choose one it'd be the Lovepedal Amp Eleven. (with a clean boost in front of it) The boost channel on the Amp Eleven is not "clean" nor is it meant to be. Can't really go wrong with either choice.

kevsonic likes this.
  15. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Tele-Afflicted

kevsonic likes this.
  16. Rayf_Brogan

Rayf_Brogan Tele-Meister

Line 6 Helix is supposedly getting a KOT model sometime in the Spring. Whatever you may feel about amp modeling, their drive pedals and effects sound the same as the original in all th A/B tests I've seen. You can pick up a Helix Stomp for $499 which may be twice what a KOT goes for, but you get all of the other Helix modeling as well.

17. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Holic

I don’t know if I want one or not.

So, I figured by getting on the waiting list, I can put off the decision... :)

kevsonic likes this.
  18. kevsonic

kevsonic Tele-Meister

Amen to the Amp11 option. Absolutely astonishing dual pedal that can be used had for <$100 on those Lovepedal flash sales that pop up now and then.

19. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

And the off-shore copy of the Amp11 is the Mosky Audio Amp Turbo, for less than $40 delivered to your door.

I'll backpedal on my comment a little about a dual pedal limiting versatility, because if you have found what you like a dual pedal is actually quite convenient. But if you need versatility, one cannot expect everything from a single anything.

kevsonic likes this.
  20. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

The KoT's tweaked Blues Breaker OD tones are no doubt stellar but I imagine there are probably better boost and distortion options than a BB with clipping diodes lifted or shunted to ground. You might try combining a good BBv1 clone with a good boost and the distortion of your choosing. Could be something to play with while you're waiting for your number to come up.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.