Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

King of Tone Clone

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by Lars F, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Lars F

Lars F Tele-Meister

Jun 13, 2017
    Denmark
    Nice project, but pretty uncool to offer a prebuilt version imo.

Regards,

Lars

2. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2017
    Wales
    Not if you're trying to make a living!

3. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

Jun 11, 2009
    Minnesota
    ...and "KOT type clone with various options" is itself a Bluesbreaker clone with various options...

4. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    Today, I removed the 220K resistors from my Double Take (KOT clone), and socketed those positions on my PCB. Then I installed 330K and 470K resistors in place of the original 220K values. I had read that this was a way to increase the output level of these pedals. I didn't like the results - it got much more overdriven and aggressive sounding. All I was looking for was more level, but it didn't achieve that. So 220K resistors went back in.

There is a PCB called the After Blaster. Its basically a 3PDT switch PCB with a gain stage on board The theory is that you can add an additional transistor based gain stage at the output of your existing pedal to make it louder. I don't know if I have room for the board, but I will probably buy one and check. If I do have room, I'll install it and see how that works out. If it doesn't, I'll save it for some other project.

5. luckett

luckett Friend of Leo's

Jun 14, 2011
    Just add more diodes if you want a higher output level.

6. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    I've never seen that solution mentioned. Please elaborate. A diagram would be great.

7. luckett

luckett Friend of Leo's

Jun 14, 2011
    Add an additional diode in series to whatever you already have. In the KOT, 3x3 in the feedback loop and 2x2 to ground with the same polarity as what's already there. That will raise the clipping threshold and let a higher signal voltage thru before clipping.

8. Lars F

Lars F Tele-Meister

Jun 13, 2017
    Denmark
    There is plenty of level in my clone.

However, since I am reading AnalogMan.com like a holy book, and there Mike writes about the KOT liking to be buffered, I tried putting a buffer directly after the clone and before modulation effects and that works really good. Very predictable results.

Sadly, I am also building a Rangemaster clone in a 1590A with switchable capacitors, so the shame of ripping off AnalogMan is growing. But, at least I ain't selling anything.

Regards,

Lars

9. luckett

luckett Friend of Leo's

Jun 14, 2011
    Since they are both circuits that Analogman copied from elsewhere, I wouldn't say there is much shame in copying them.

Rock-Ola and Nickfl like this.

10. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Holic

May 24, 2016
    Florida
    Yeah, there are very few truly original idea in the world of pedals and I have a hard time understanding why we are ripping Analog Man off any more than he is ripping off Marshall or Dallas. If you really feel bad about it, just change some of the cap or resistor values very slightly and bam, you are now a groundbreaking boutique pedal designer! :lol:

11. Lars F

Lars F Tele-Meister

Jun 13, 2017
    Denmark
    I'll just have to live with the shame, thanks.

Regards,

Lars

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.