Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Kids Baseball Donations bothers me

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by burntfrijoles, Mar 19, 2017.

1. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

Jan 10, 2013
    CT
    Hmm, asking for money is an important life skill? I had no idea, I never do it. I wish someone had told me I was blowing free money by not learning this important life skill.

2. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's

Feb 6, 2007
    central illinois
    I used to make $4/K per month working from home, but now I've doubled my income by simply standing outside the busiest intersections on the edge of town and asking. Call today for your free kit, including cardboard, magic marker and sunscreen. Package comes with dozens of pity and guilt tag ideas, such as "Need Video Games for Children," "All out of PBR" and "Gramma Got Run Over by a Train." Stake out your corner today. (887)510-U812. Real homeless need not apply.

william tele likes this.
  3. studio1087

studio1087 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    I buy cookies from Girl Scouts and I'll buy pizzas or whatever to support band trips. I was involved in music and athletics in high school and we had organized fund raisers.

I've been asked for a flat out hand out. I don't like the sound of that. I've received a letter asking me to pay $30 for a "non-dinner". Jazz choir needed money for a trip and my kid was in the choir. I paid $30 for a dinner that didn't really happen and we didn't have to go (goofy humor in asking and giving cash for my own kid). In this case I was covering my own kid which is not like the choir director pandering to strangers.

Lacrosse gear this year was $850. If your kid makes the team you write a check to cover helmets and jerseys and all the logo safety stuff for your kid. I pay for my kid......as it should be.

Just giving cash when your kid is not in the program seems like a cavalier expectation from the recipients.

troy2003 and william tele like this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. gtrjunior

gtrjunior Tele-Holic

Nov 14, 2016
    NorthEast U.S.
    I agree with the OP...selling goods or a service to raise money is fine but flat out asking for a handout when these families can afford it is ridiculous.
    If there are children that can't afford it, then maybe they shouldn't have signed up.
    Call me grumpy if you will, that's fine. People aren't automatically "entitled" to anything.

6. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Yes. This covers it...

I don't have a single problem with a sports organization fund raising or asking parents of participants to foot the bill. But asking for money from the public without the tiniest effort other than the act of begging? Not a life skill I want my kid to learn...

7. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    I get more annoyed at fundraising via "goods" I don't want or need (magazines, cookies, whatever). Go figure. But it doesn't make me mad at those doing it.

8. studio1087

studio1087 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    The more I learn about this stuff the more I think parents should simply support their own kid.

The cut that Girl Scouts get to keep (the percentage) when they sell the cookies is very low. My admin person at work is involved in her daughter's troop and I know the percentage. I think the cookie company is doing much better than all the little kids.

I was involved in the Tiger Cub program at our kids' school about 10 years ago and the boys (Scouts) sold Christmas Wreaths. The Milwaukee area Scouts had a great gig. The troops got to keep half of what they sold. Some of the big 6' wreaths that banks and local businesses bought were $100 each. The company that made the wreaths would deliver on a Saturday at Miller Park (in the parking lot) and I would drive down there with our horse trailer to pick up our wreaths. We usually sold about $5000 worth or wreaths so our treasurer would have $2500 in the troop checkbook. $2500 lasted a year. The Girl Scouts would have to sell a ton of cookies to keep $2500.

You can rationalize it by saying that the kids are learning about business but it's a lot of screwing around. If my kid gets involved in a good thing and if each parent needs to kick in $50 I'll gladly kick in my $50.

Fund raising is complicated. I'd rather pay my fair share and be done with it. No smoke and mirrors upon entry.

9. raito

raito Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2010
    Madison, WI
    I've probably described the single time I attended a class at the local University's business school small business program. that's resulted in a pile of emails whenever they have another class. 90% of those classes are oriented around getting money from other people. Occasionally even from customers. The majority are oriented around getting other people to invest in your business.

In the one class I did take, the instructor was dumbfounded when I said I wouldn't be looking for investors, as what I wanted to do was small enough I could finance it all myself without having to anyone else's mitts in it. Then she asked what if it became successful? I replied that if it were so, then it would have been done on my conditions, and if I needed any advice at that point, I'd ask my wife, the MBA who specialized in finance.

Many of the various clubs out there have requirements for fundraising. And apparently in some, you're actually scored on it, so I hear, or at least get prizes for being good at it.

10. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 8, 2010
    Up North
    Give them a Bag of Chips and send them off.

11. christhee68

christhee68 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 1, 2011
    south carolina
    My daughter does travel volleyball. She gets "sponsorships" which are donations from local businesses. For their donation, they get their name on the team's t-shirt and logo/link on the website.

12. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

What's the difference between "Travel X" and "X"?

13. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    Who said I'm a scrooge? Neither am I campaigning against the upper middle class. Earning money is an important life skill. Asking for money for the needy, someone with medical bills or to fund something that benefits a community at large is a life skill and commendable. Sorry, but this is a self centered activity for their own benefit. This isn't about learning a life skill. Of course, IMO that's our society to a large extent today.

14. MDMachiavelli

MDMachiavelli Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Coincidentally I had this almost exact conversation with a guy who works for me the other day. He makes decent money and his wife makes almost double what he makes. Therefore he lives in a very exclusive neighborhood that has the highest per capita income in the state. His son plays tournament baseball and the parents were talking the other day about raising money and one parent stated the team should start a GoFundMe Account. He was telling me how he was totally against it. He came to work and asked me what I thought, and I agreed that it was the most ridiculous and absurd thing I had ever heard. Privileged kids from affluent/upper middle class families asking for a handout.

We always pick on him about his socio-economic status and the part of the state he lives in. So I was glad to see he was self aware enough to know that was a good idea.

william tele likes this.
  15. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Not in my experience. Not by any stretch....

16. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

May 18, 2006

You don't get rich by spending money.

17. BigDaddyLH

You get rich by inheriting it.

troy2003 and Mr. Lumbergh like this.
  18. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Not by spending currency no, but you gain a lot of intrinsic value by helping others. Unfortunately, it seems that more and more often those who have the most to share are the least likely to do so.
    Ding ding ding! We have a winner.

Sandhill69 likes this.
  19. BartS

BartS Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2013
    St. louis MO
    I think if you got your kid in traveling bassball pay for it yourself. I am of the opinion the kids time could be better spent doing other things. I could see donating to by kids that can't afford it a glove after that the whole team can share a bat and a box of baseballs for the season. It should probably be something they should only do for a small part of the year anyway. I rather see a kid become a well rounded individual.

20. BopT

BopT Tele-Afflicted

Feb 6, 2011
    Chicago
    I just cut a check for my son to play baseball. It is so crazy expensive now it is Blackface Deluxe per year plus expensive! Still in order to keep baseball in his skill set you pay or you can't play!

21. BigDaddyLH

If you think baseball is expensive, check out hockey. Plus practice ice time is usually 5:00AM.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.