Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Kids Baseball Donations bothers me

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by burntfrijoles, Mar 19, 2017.

1. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

I've always hated the school fundraisers as well.
    I doubt the school sees much of what is collected.
    And for overpriced junk.

troy2003 likes this.
  2. ce24

ce24 Friend of Leo's

Jan 26, 2008
    Idahoastan
    I didn't read all posts so sorry if this has been offered..... They are young kids and are working to pay their way for something they love.... Next time they come say yeah I'll give you $20 but you gotta help me move something or take out my trash.... So this time of year make sure you have some chore they could for you. If he. She doesn't want to do it..... No donation.

Cheers

daddyplaysbass likes this.
  3. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 17, 2006
    Free Loader
    It is insane the amount of money that is spent on school sports in TX. They could build a school for what they spend on a sports complex.

daddyplaysbass likes this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I suppose you're one of those guys who doesn't want to buy girl scout cookies from the cute little girls who egged your house last week.

troy2003 and MilwMark like this.
  6. Martinp

Martinp Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    Westbury, N.Y.
    yeah, how about some value, mow my lawn, wash my truck?

7. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2012
    Sou Cal
    And then they get hurt on your property doing work for you.
    Then you find out how many parents are lawyers.

jackinjax likes this.
  8. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    Tell them to start a GoFundMe page, then come here and complain about it.

televillian, MilwMark and troy2003 like this.
  9. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Tele-Afflicted

Mar 21, 2015
    Omaha
    So does the Red Cross.
    If you don't want to give them money, don't give them money.
    Don't complain when they TP your house at Halloween.

televillian likes this.
  10. Tazz3

Tazz3 Friend of Leo's

Aug 19, 2013
    East islip ny
    I live on long island and the taxs are over 10 grand and 7 of it goes for the school, if these kids wanna play football after school why should the school foot the bill there parnets should play do schools down south pay or the kids moms

11. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    There are plenty of organizations that need money for the betterment and survival of actual human beings... and other animals and living things.

The game players don't need money...they just want it. If these parents feel the need to create miniature big league traveling ball teams they can pay for it themselves...

daddyplaysbass, troy2003 and Tazz3 like this.
  12. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    The Red Cross for necessities - disaster relief. Affluent kids playing a game for fun. Yeah, that's equivalent.
    TP'ing the house.. That's your response?

william tele likes this.
  13. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

May 18, 2006

You got that backwards.

14. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

May 18, 2006
    At least the kids just want money. The Red Cross wants BLOOD!

15. ce24

ce24 Friend of Leo's

Jan 26, 2008
    Idahoastan
    There should be no sports in school!... Except in PE. It should be club sports outside of school. At the same time I believe sports are good.... But the distraction and cost to schools ie: education is unbelievable....I taught and coached for 35 years....I know what I speak of...

Cherrs

Grant Austin and troy2003 like this.
  16. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    What a nice collection of Potters and Scrooges. Eliminate sports in school! Get off my lawn! Down with the upper middle class!

Sheesh. I'm not a big fan of traveling teams. But learning to ask for money is hard, and an important life skill. And sending the kids around invests them in their activity, rather than having their parents just give them everything.

If you want to work for a non-profit, guess what: you need to (successfully) ask people for money. If you want to do charitable work for a non-profit, guess what: you need to (successfully) ask people for money. If you want to succeed in sales (in the service economy, find a job that doesn't have a sales component), guess what: you need to (successfully) ask people for money. Better to young before they know better and when the stakes are low. The skills transfer.

Anyone see the inherent irony in simultaneously complaining about spoiled, privileged kids but then also complaining when their parents make them participate in funding, rather than just handing the dough?

17. jackinjax

jackinjax Tele-Afflicted

Sep 11, 2016
    Jacksonville
    Over the years my daughter taught me a valuable lesson. For the most part, and for whatever reason, we don't value gifts, that is, things that come easily, as much as the things we work for. The harder one has to work, the more it's appreciated.
    The majority of kids who participate in these types of activities, be it football, baseball, or cheerleading, do so because their parents get them involved. Not that that's a bad thing. In fact, exposing our children to as many interests as you can afford helps them develop outside interests that they may carry into adulthood, or at least possibly keep them out of trouble.
    To the OP's point, whether children of affluent parents or children of parents of little to modest means, having the child work for something they want is equally beneficial. =Life's lessons learned.

1293 likes this.
  18. radiomanjh

radiomanjh Tele-Afflicted

Nov 14, 2010
    Texas
    times must have changed. when my boys were on their traveling teams we, the parents always paid for everything. Uniforms, umpires and lunches in between games were our responsibility. It made the games special to us because we were vested and part of the teams. never once did our teams ask for any donations.

william tele likes this.
  19. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    I coach travel ball. Love it. The kids love it, so I do too.

We fundraise as an organization, but it's via trivia night stuff. Individual teams can as well, though they usually do Super Bowl Squares and the like. I think offering something, whether it's just a chance to win or a car wash is preferable.

I get the occasional door knocker, though not for baseball. Either way, a simple no thank you and it's gone from my mind in seconds.

william tele and MilwMark like this.
  20. omahaaudio

Mar 21, 2015
    Omaha
    At least it ain't The Walking Dead.

21. omahaaudio

Mar 21, 2015
    Omaha
    Both asking for money. It's your choice as to whether or not to give any to either.

TP-ing the house is THE perfect answer to anything. Just think, if Austria had TP'd someone's house in Sarajevo instead of declaring war after the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand, no World War I!

boredguy6060 and william tele like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.