Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Kids Baseball Donations bothers me

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by burntfrijoles, Mar 19, 2017.

1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    I live in a very upper middle income to affluent area of NE Florida. Each spring and summer there are kids seeking donations for their youth traveling baseball programs. This really galls me. Before you think I’m a grumpy old man, scrooge or curmudgeon, hear me out.

They are not selling cookies, candy or raffle tickets nor are they washing cars to raise funds. They are asking for donations. They live in this affluent area meaning that their parents can probably foot the bill. These are not disadvantaged youth. They are, by and large, fortunate children of some means. Yet here they are asking for a “handout”. Now “handouts” to the less fortunate, disadvantaged is frowned upon by many folks in this area’s demographic. It just seems inappropriate and hypocritical.

I was taught to be generous to the less fortunate and have no issue with donations for a truly worthy cause, etc.

2. Boubou

Boubou Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 30, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Traveling baseball, is that like "The Travelling Wilburies"?

chilipepper205 likes this.

3. rad1

rad1 Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA
    I donate to school teams and "local" youth teams, but never to traveling teams. The whole traveling team thing has moved way out of control. 9 and 10 year olds playing for regional, state and even national championships. Very silly stuff.

The year around traveling team concept is making it almost impossible for kids to be well rounded multi sport athletes.

Donate to a music program instead

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Pisgah

Pisgah Tele-Meister

Aug 29, 2014
    Gulf Coast
    I don't like teaching kids to beg.

6. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    We have traveling soccer and hockey Kids as neighbors. They never ask. That is odd. Perhaps a real cheap parent group in the affluent section. lol

Tazz3 likes this.

7. burntfrijoles

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    I seriously doubt any of them can sing like Roy Orbison or write music like George, Tom or Bob.

Tazz3 likes this.

8. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    I pay $10k a year in property taxes , most of which goes to the school district and we dont have kids. So, I'm not interested in footinh the bill for someone else's pipe dream for their kids. Your kids, you pay for the traveling sports.

9. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    It is always the donors call. For the kids its probably important and a way for them to invest effort into achieving a goal. It's not fun asking people for money whether you need it or not. Which of the kids parents can afford it probably isn't the issue as much as some kids may not be able to afford it and so all are asked to do it in the same way. Again, if you are not invested in them, their league or any kids in particular, no problem opting out.

10. burntfrijoles

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    Invest effort by providing a service or goods. It's the parents responsibility to provide the funds. As i said, these are the same folks who whine about programs for the needy but who think it's okay to seek funds from the community for their own frivolous wants. I have no intention of "opting" to donate. I just think it's inappropriate.

daddyplaysbass likes this.

11. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston
    Agreed. Fundraisers are fun (car washes, magazine drives, raffles, whatever). Just stationing kids in front of every supermarket and donut shop like panhandlers seems a little screwy to me.

12. tery

tery Friend of Leo's

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    Yeah and then the kids lay this guilt trip on ya - its a shakedown !

howlin, Pisgah and troy2003 like this.

13. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    The more money you have, the cheaper you are with it...

Henry, neckradius, Flakey and 2 others like this.

14. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston
    To be fair, most of the time the kids look embarrassed.

15. televillian

televillian Tele-Meister

Oct 3, 2013
    prescott valley az
    are they asking for your telecasters ?

16. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's

Feb 6, 2007
    central illinois
    I don't mind a fundraiser where they at least offer some consideration (except for that crap popcorn outfit), but what rubs me is when the adults ask on behalf of their kids. Nope

daddyplaysbass likes this.

17. Telepathist

Telepathist Tele-Afflicted

Nov 19, 2013
    Oregon
    You can politely say I gave at the office if it bothers you.

For some reason this thread reminded me of this song:

Johnson johnson likes this.

18. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Feb 24, 2005
    FL
    I coached one of the first traveling baseball teams in my state 20 years ago. I quit after 3 years when I saw what it was turning into. Teams poaching players, 10 year olds worrying about their playing time, parents openly hoping the kid in front of theirs failed so their kid would be the starter. All I ever wanted to do was teach kids who wanted to learn, how to play the game. Period.

Ironically, it used to be better competition 'in addition' to Little League, then it became exclusive and Little League numbers dropped dramatically. Now travel ball is really no better than Little League, just 10x the cost.

I coached kids who went on to play MLB, some played travel ball, some didn't. I don't see any real advantage - especially for pitchers. Kids get burned out. If baseball stops being fun, they stop improving.

televillian, tery and Tazz3 like this.

19. troy2003

troy2003 Tele-Afflicted

Mar 30, 2010
    Central Minnesota
    My pet peeve is the schools who latched onto this. Using guilt to raise money. First day of school kids would come home and say"were selling xxxx to raise money for computers. Or so my art teacher doesn't get fired"(I'm serious!). They did this knowing my family and friends would buy stuff then I would have to buy from their kids. It was a racket I tell ya

tery and Tazz3 like this.

20. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2012
    Sou Cal
    One of the principals of obtaining and retaining wealth is to always use other people's money.
    Maybe this is the junior varsity version of that.

21. Stratohacker

Stratohacker Tele-Meister

Apr 18, 2013
    California
    That does seem a little weird.

My boy does competitive gymnastics and the coaches want them to travel to get them used to having to perform in unfamiliar areas and in different time zones.

Needless to say this is not a cheap sport. The parents pay for the kids to be a part of the gym and in addition to that they pay an annual competition fee and get this....

We have to volunteer to help out for a certain number of hours a year or we get penalized - pay money for the time not volunteered.

All that said - the parents completely cover the costs. No donations, no selling anything just pay for it out the wazoo ($500 a month - give or take). He is at the gym 6 days a week four about 24 hours total.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.