Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Kia cars any good?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Big_Bend, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 19, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I've always been partial to Ford, Honda and Toyota (in that order). Never really considered anything else.

My son told me today tho that he's looking at a new Kia Soul.

[​IMG]

Thoughts? How reliable are they? And what about the maintenance, is it easy to find a mechanic, or do you have to take em back to the dealer for every repair? My son likes the sporty hatchback look, room to haul his band gear and more... any other cars to consider instead that might have a lower cost of ownership? Will the Kia last 200,000 miles or more or will they die after 100K?

Appreciate any insights....

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    hotpot likes this.

2. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Holic

Feb 13, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    I know several people with these that are very happy with them. Average time of ownership here would be around 3 years, and no complaints yet.

3. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    According to Consumer Reports, they have really improved their reliability in the last few years. Probably no worse than a Ford Focus, but still not in the range of Toyota, Honda, and Mazda.
    He should look at a Mazda 3 Hatch. Sporty. Very reliable. Lower cost of ownership than a Toyota. Not as good resale as a Civic, but an all-around great car.

Nubs and nojazzhere like this.

4. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI
    No. it's Russian roulette. Kia's quality control is lacking. You might be okay, but safer to buy a Toyota.

brookdalebill likes this.

5. AngelDeville

AngelDeville Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2007
    Albuquerque
    My 2007 Kia is abused by me daily and keeps on ticking.

I had the same style of Toyota for $10,000 more and I'll take the Kia.

Jakedog and Tony474 like this.

6. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 12, 2016
    Virginia Beach, Va
    My 05 Optima has almost 170 K on it now. Oil gets changed every 5k. But like other cars make sure to not take chances on timing belt. If that goes so does the motor. On my KIA its ' 60 K but I do it around 50-55

7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Kia has improved greatly.
    Nothing beats Toyota though, IMO.

8. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2017
    Wales
    We bought a Kia about 4 years ago for MrsHound. When my van gave up the ghost last month we bought another Kia to replace it. Great cars.

Jakedog likes this.

9. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    We have a main dealer just down the road from us. 10 years ago, I wouldn't have touched them but they have improved in leaps and bounds. I wouldn't hesitate these days. Not a big fan of the "Soul" aesthetics but it's supposed to be a decent motor.

John Thigpen likes this.

10. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister

Dec 24, 2015
    Michigan
    I have a 2009 Borrego. It's never given me a problem other than having to replace the battery at 75K miles.

11. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    I've had two Kias, a 2004 Sedona and my current late-2013 Sorento, both purchased from a Kia main dealer at a year old as an approved used car. Never had the slightest problem with either of them. Build quality, comfort, ergonomics, performance and economy are all first-class. In addition the 2.2-litre turbo-diesel in the Sorento is eerily quiet and smooth as well as both torquey and powerful. In the UK Kias carry a 7-year warranty and if you buy an approved used model that starts again from the date of purchase. Nice to know, but I've never had to invoke it.

My wife too has a Kia Rio, bought new, with which she's delighted, and before that she had a Hyundai i10 (Hyundai and Kia are essentially the same company) which was also completely trouble-free, if not the most exciting car in the world to drive.

I'd also say that while the Soul model is a bit too small for my requirements I've sat in one in the showroom and the seats are among the most comfortable I've ever experienced.

I have no hesitation at all in recommending Kia as a brand.

Jakedog and nojazzhere like this.

12. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    My sportage is excellent, except for the vision - check that. Otherwise I'd recommend one over a Toyota.

Jakedog likes this.

13. Smiff

Smiff Tele-Holic

Oct 1, 2017
    UK
    My neighbour is retired and has an obscene pension, he gets a new Kia every year and has done for years. He wouldn’t keep going back if they weren’t good.

There’s probably a dealership fairly local to me, they seem to be one of the more common cars around me.

14. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    The tend to have great warranties, so if you have a dealer near you, I think they make a good car.

15. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    We just bought our second Kia Sorrento and couldn't be happier. When we first went looking for this type of vehicle, we tried all the mid-sized SUVs, the sorrento was the only one I fit in comfotably. I don't even fit well in a full size Cherokee.

Anyway, we had the first one for 3.5 years, put 65k miles on it and never did anything except put gas and change the oil. It comes with a 10 year/100k warranty, so there's that too. The new one cost about 3k more than the old one and is loaded with a lot more amenities and it's even roomier than our first one and the styling is nicer.

They are well rated in reliability and safety, but they do take a hit on resale value, probably because they got iff to a rough start and still have a little bit of a stigma about them.

16. Vladimir

Vladimir Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Zagreb, Croatia
    The old ones turned out to be very reliable. The new ones come with a 7 year warranty in Europe, although I think they're made in Slovakia, not South Korea.

17. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    Yes, I think some of the smaller models are made in Slovakia, e.g. Mrs 474's Rio, although my Sorento was built in S. Korea, as was my previous Sedona. For interest's sake, my wife's previous car, the Hyundai i10, was made in a state-of-the-art high-tech factory in Chennai (Madras), India. Build quality was excellent.

I imagine Kia, like other manufacturers, has assembly plants appropriate to the markets they're sold in.

18. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    the US market Sorentos are made in West Point Georgia, Kia invested 1billion dollars in building the plant there.

Jakedog likes this.

19. rickthescot

rickthescot Tele-Meister

Feb 14, 2011
    Texas
    The new Stinger that Emerson Fittipaldi advertises is supposed to be rather good according to James May.

Unionjack515 and Jakedog like this.

20. Vladimir

Vladimir Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Zagreb, Croatia
    True, I think nowadays, only BMW is still made in Bavaria, everthing else is a guess, althought the quality does seem to be quite consistent world wide.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.