Keto Diet

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TeleFunk Man, Feb 9, 2019.

1. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Afflicted

How do you know this?

2. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I don't know how you're qualified to compare a 2019 orange to a 1962 orange or if there are studies comparing same orange but all you need for the carb cycle you've pointing out is a bicycle. They're a famously good solution and a lot more fun than fad dieting.

Where is your body of evidence that genetically modified plants have significantly different nutritional content? Most we find for sale are doing something like address pesticide resistance or resistance to pests and disease.

stevemc, TeleFunk Man and micpoc like this.
  3. TeleFunk Man

The internet is your friend. There are literally dozens of studies on this. The GMO of fruits and vegetables in the commercial food industry is done to address insect infestation but also to yield higher output all in the name of the mighty $$$. If a grower can produce higher sugar content (fructose) in the same size fruit they increase profits. Fructose is used in all kinds of products besides fruit. It is it the worst type of sugar (like corn syrup), since it spikes insulin within seconds of entering the body, this stresses the liver.

Not sure what you mean carb cycle? But you mention bicycle. I'm actually an avid cyclist (well not in winter) but i do keto and exercise daily. The two complement each other nicely. What's cool is keto increases your energy level so you can get better workouts.

4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

As I mentioned earlier, I don't do full keto, I just cut out most sugar and tried to keep carbs, other than fiber, below 50g daily. A lot of the carb in Fiber One is undigestable fiber, something very helpful if you want to avoid "keto constipation". I do. I did use psyllium husk for a while but I switched to Fiber One after I reached my weight loss goal.

TeleFunk Man likes this.
  5. TeleFunk Man

Here's why it's better to consume organic, whole foods, like grass-fed butter, full fat cream. Free-range eggs. Hormone-free, grass-fed beef and chicken. Wild-caught salmon, shrimp are good. By eating commercially farmed, grocery store meats we consume the GMO grain that the cows and chickens were fed.

Until mandatory labeling is in place in the U.S., here are some other facts you should know about GMOs:

• GMOs are everywhere. According to the Non-GMO Project, up to 80 percent of conventional processed foods (i.e. soups, sodas, condiments, chips, crackers, etc.) contain GMO ingredients. In the U.S., according to the Center for Food Safety, up to 94 percent of soy, and up to 92 percent of corn, grown are GMO. Upwards of 95 percent of sugar beets may now be GMO, and 88 percent of cotton is as well (food products often contain cottonseed oil).
    • Since corn accounts for 95 percent of total feed grain (corn-feeding helps keeps the cost of animal food production low), most commercially produced beef, dairy products, poultry and eggs come from animals that were fed GMO corn; sis also used in animal feed. Fast food is also notoriously high in corn content.
    • Additionally, cows are often injected with recombinant Bovine Growth Hormone (rGBH), a GMO product. While use of rGBH increases milk production, it also leads to increased antibiotic use in dairy cows, which has contributed to greater antibiotic resistance in humans.
    • Milk from rGBH-treated cows contains high levels of a natural growth factor (IGF-1), which is linked to the development of breast, prostate and colon cancers.
    • GMO crops are generally engineered to withstand much heavier-than-normal pesticide application; by consuming them, you also consume pesticide residues. Pesticides have been linked to numerous health problems including blood, kidney and liver toxicity, birth defects, and even cancer. Children are particularly vulnerable to the toxic effects of pesticides.
    • In addition to corn and soy, canola, cotton, alfalfa, sugar beets, papaya, and yellow squash are GMO crops sold and commercially produced in the U.S. GMO plums, raddichio, rice and wheat have been approved in the US, even though they are not yet commercially produced or sold here, In 2015, the FDA approved GMO salmon, which will soon be available in restaurants and markets.
    More details: https://heartmdinstitute.com/diet-nutrition/gmo-genetically-modified-engineered-foods/

6. TeleFunk Man

Yes you are correct. I also note that we need to look at "net" carbs. So this means you always minus the fibre content from the total carbs to get net carbs. The cereal has 25 grams of carbs but a high fibre (12 grams of fibre?). So that's good.

7. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

You've made an assertion--where is your body of evidence for this assertion?

Keep that crib sheet handy.

8. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

I could ask you "How do you know too many carbs cause weight gain?"

I know by observation. Watch what people eat, talk to people.

People don't get fat by eating fruit, they get fat by eating McDonalds, pizza , Ice cream, potato chips,beer ,etc.

I've never seen anyone sit down and eat 3 apples, I've seen dozens of people (and have done it myself) sit down and eat 3 slices of pizza.

TeleFunk Man likes this.
  9. TeleFunk Man

Fruit has tons of healthy benefits, I hear ya. But the science is clear that eating carbs causes weight gain. All of the products you mention contain carbs and sugars, complement this with high sugar fruit and juices you have a formula for weight gain.

I doubt eating fruit on it's own causes weight gain because with fruit the fibre reduces the impact of the sugars, but the insulin still spikes depending on the type of fruit.

I do keto and can confirm it really works, I was never grossly overweight but always struggled with trying to lose weight on more traditional diets where you are constantly hungry from one meal to the next. With keto I can eat bacon and eggs, dairy, steaks, burgers cooked in butter and all kinds of satiating foods and pounds melt away, so it really worked for me. I just wanted to know if others here are doing keto? And looking to share experiences - it appears that some people here are doing keto as well.

drewcp likes this.
  10. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

The USDA nutrition database, commercial ingredient & food labeling systems, popular and respected authors (Michael Pollan as example), news, following food industry including Monsanto, food labeling, compliance, & information worker in the food industry. I also did an IT infrastructure project for a plant genetics firm where I was exposed to a lot of information and learning but a lot of that just overlapped what I learned from general curiosity.

Even content or sites many would judge against GMO foods state how much has been about developing resistance to what most know as Roundup or disease.

There's a lot of selective use of data with pop nutritionists and products. One example for the sugar topic would be how many hybrids have come along in recent decades that we seen in grocery stores. They exist, but most sales and food manufacturing is not those newer varieties. Where I work the manager of health and wellness is a nutritionist and will ask for specifics when a salesperson is talking up a food or product. She knows a citrus offering that's promoted on an end cap for one month of the year is not same orange that makes up most of a food manufacturer's or the produce manager's orders but if it has more sugar a salesperson could use that info.

11. TeleFunk Man

If anyone cares here's YT video from Dr Eric Westman on how consuming carbs and sugars affect our bodies:

12. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Bingo!

But for me it take portion control too. Even cycling a ton and burning calories a little more than the average active 40 year old [I am 61].

Side effect of my current loosing weight eating schemata is zero bread, cake, flour etc. Well I get one pasta day per week, 1/2 potion. The near total lack of gluten I have to say has a very positive effect on energy.

When weather get me back to a few hundred miles a week on the bicycle, I will eat more pasta.... I miss pasta... ;)

So in closing I will say BALANCE and Portion are key, for me anyway. ;)

13. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Your forgot: Early to rise, early to be, might as well be dead. :lol:

I quit daily beer/booze over a decade ago. I guess had I not I'd be 300+ lbs today. :eek:

Let's not forget to mention how much more money you have around when you do this....

14. Recce

Recce Tele-Afflicted

If Bourbon is Keto friendly maybe I could do it. Can’t I just cut carbs and sugar.

15. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

I think what is being referred to is genetically modified wheat. There are no more golden waves of grain - wheat has been cross bred (pun not intended) to be short, stiff shafts, so high winds do not damage crops.

You know those really light, fluffy Krispy Kreme glazed donuts? You know we could not have made those 60 years ago. The fluffy consistency is from modified wheat - the modified flour allows processing to make those possible. This light, processed flour also converts into glucose quickly.

Einkorn wheat - from 100+ years ago, had a 14 gene DNA strand. Modern wheat has a 58 gene DNA strand. Studies have been done with einkorn wheaat and modern wheat breads - einkorn based bread will raise your blood sugar, but fairly slowly. Modern bread of the same weight raises blood sugar twice as high, and much faster. William Davis, MD documented this in his book Wheat Belly.

I cannot comment on wheat - I'm gluten intolerant, so I don't eat it. However, it scares me how some of the modified foods are causing quicker conversion to glucose and higher spikes. This all leads to diabetes and obesity. Since everything in the American diet come on or with bread - or pasta - this trend won't stop anytime soon.

16. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

That's all a bit unsettling...

17. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

I know, right?

18. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Keto over here. Since Jan 1.
    The best part? The recipes! We’ve not eaten so well in years. Very tasty. Everything we eat is pretty much home made. We don’t eat out at restaurants and don’t miss it. Feeling better too. By giving up wheat I learned that it was causing me acid reflux. I was popping tums lots. Then I got a prescription med to tackle it. Went on keto. All gone. No acid reflux anymore. No tums. No meds. I was clearing my throat for an hour after every meal too. Gone. My entire digestive track is working the best ever, probably since I was 17.

Keto food and the personal benefits offered a great improvement for me. It’s not a fad diet. It’s changed my eating habits for life. I no longer will tolerate the side effects that carbs and sugar foods caused me. On top of these benefits I’m losing weight.

rickthescot and farmcaster like this.
  19. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Holic

Butter makes your pants fall off...

TeleFunk Man likes this.
  20. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Meister

This has been my approach for the last 5-6 weeks, and I'm down 20lbs. I sit at a desk all day and don't exercise. For most of my life I made it a lot more complicated than it needed to be, trying to different diets and forms of exercise. I finally just sat down and picked a number of calories to hit each day, and voila, I'm down 20lbs without even trying.

Is it sustainable long-term? Nope. Will it get me quickly and safely to my goal of losing 35lbs? Yep. And along the way I can already tell that my appetite has adjusted to normal levels, it's unreal how often I used to overeat just as a way of life.

Congrats to everyone else though. I thought my 20lbs would be impressive, but some of you guys have lost a crazy amount, keep it up!

TeleFunk Man and Treadplatedual like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.