Keto Diet

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TeleFunk Man, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I did the keto diet in around 2008 for a year and lost 100lbs. I called it the chicken diet because I ate mostly chicken. I ate bacon and fish too and whatever didn’t have carbs. I lost so much weight that many people thought I was sick or had cancer. I got tired of the dietary restrictions and stopped after a year and gained about half the weight back over the next few years.

2. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Ive done keto/ Atkins twice, worked fabulously the first time, less so the second. It was impossible for me to keep carbs out of my diet.

Last May I went on my “half-fast” diet in which I eat about half of the portions I normally would, but deny myself nothing. It’s much slower than Atkins, and doesn’t have the side reward of seeing Ketostix turn almost black at first drop of pee, but has been working slowly and steadily, even though I cheat fairly often. Down almost 40 lbs. now, and am feeling better. But sometimes consuming a big bag of chips and French onion dip while watching a football game is sorely missed.

3. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Nice to have lost that weight! You have my best wishes for sustaining that!

That sort of diet has not worked for me. I had a period with some gi and endocrine issues and a much more balanced diet is what proved to be both sustainable as well as what kept blood work and overall health the best. It - the balanced or well rounded diet - was also key to sticking with the weight loss and improved overall health.

I've had you pegged for something after the cognitive revolution but you've done enough talk of travel and you're so good with memes I figured you were way past that. I was thinking like maybe 20 years old.

4. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Afflicted

I call BS. Any examples of what you're saying? I have a few friends that have been on keto for years with nothing but positive health results.

I'd think being overweight or being insulin resistant has worse effects that eating a healthy keto.

If it's good enough for this dude (10 years on keto), it's ok with me:

drewcp likes this.
  5. geobookman

geobookman TDPRI Member

If you read the Obesity Code book it details some great practices for this kind of diet. Here is what I do as basic rules

-not much sugar at all, and when I have it, it’s real and not fake substitutes which also trigger insulin responses anyway.
    -eliminate bread, rice, pasta, soda
    -some nice treats that aren’t too big of a deal: dark chocolate, red wine, flavored seltzer water, coffee with cream, jerky
    -reduce root veggies because they have more carbs and try for green stuff and zucchini and yellow squash
    -drink half body weight in ounces of water per day and extra if I have a lot of coffee
    -enjoy fat like coconut oil, avocado, olive oil, cream, cheese if you like dairy
    -try berries over other fruits because they are low carb
    -try tuna for lunch

TeleFunk Man likes this.
  6. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I keep my logical fallacies crib sheet handy for those sorts of people.

drewcp and getbent like this.
  7. TeleFunk Man

Yep, most of this is keto except for the sugar part. Real or not avoid it as it spikes insulin is mere seconds causing your liver to produce excess glucose.

The whole thing about drinking water has been disproven. I mean yeah, you need to drink water, but drink when you're thirsty, that's all you need.

Seltzer is good. I drink pellegrino with the juice of fresh lime or lemon. Both these fruits are ok on keto as they are low G.I. just like berries.

Bottom line for keto: eat whole foods, healthy fats, avoid sugars, starches and keep carbs under 50 grams a day.

farmcaster likes this.
  8. geobookman

geobookman TDPRI Member

Yes, my rules are definitely not strict keto. I don’t have diabetes nor any other insulin issues so the occasional sugar for me hasn’t proved to be an issue. I did it to reduce body fat and bc I had so many GI issues.

I do the water no as part of keto but as part of being a runner and doing weight lifting. It makes me feel less cramps!

Lazy keto as I call it

TeleFunk Man likes this.
  9. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

I'm thinking of trying Tapeworms.
    I can still eat what I want.

imwjl, RLee77 and Shuster like this.
  10. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Honestly, I'm on 2 diets, because one didn't give me enough to eat:)

imwjl and Random1643 like this.
  11. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

I have to admit that my daily intake for a long time is very carb-heavy, when I think about it... not so much sugar, but lots of carbs. I’ve been wanting to drop about 20-25 lbs, and greatly reducing carbs would probably do it.

So on keto, what do you do for fiber? For years I’ve started my morning with a Kashi high fiber cereal... what would I substitute?
    I also love sandwiches... is there a bread type (pita, wrap, etc) that is not too bad?
    I guess I’d need to get a list of veggies & fruits and such that are ok. And also run it by my doctor to see what he says (which I’d advise others to do as well, instead of taking health advice from a guitar forum thread :D).

TeleFunk Man likes this.
  12. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Wonder what would happen if you followed the keto guidelines but did whatever you wanted regarding fruits and vegetables ? (Not 2 gals of oj and a bushel of sweet potatoes a day, just in moderation like everything else )

Forgetting “ketosis” and what color the stick turned when you peed on it , I’m guessing you still lose weight...

13. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Yes you can eat fruit.
    I've met a lot of overweight people in my life, I've been overweight at various times in my life.
    Not a single one of them got there from eating too much fruit.

3fngrs and micpoc like this.
  14. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Holic

Well said.

15. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

For cereal, I eat Fiber One Original. 0 sugar, 14g of fiber. Kashi, depending on the variety, has 8g+ of added sugar and 2.5 times the calories. (The non-original Fiber One varieties are have sugar and are higher in calories as well.)

Most bread is loaded with sugar so you have to be selective. You can find low or no sugar varieties but stores don't stock them in great quantity and brands/names change often. Read the labels, some of the low cal versions are still packed with sugar, and eat in moderation.

Fruits and veggies are the same. Make sure you aren't buying pre-packaged products packed with added sugar, especially high fructose corn syrup, and eat in moderation.

The big problem is usually sweet drinks, especially sodas. You have to cut those out entirely. I even cut out sweet tea, a key staple in the Southern US.

16. TeleFunk Man

If looking to do keto, it's about reducing carbs which leads to drastic weight loss. Sugar is a carbohydrate. Unfortunately because the food industry has adopted GMO technology everything from grains, wheat to fruit is GMOd now. So an orange readily available at the local grocery store today contains 25 grams of sugar. Before GMO back in the 60s that same orange would contain much less sugar. If you're worried about missing out on the other nutrients from high sugar fruit just consume berries which are low carb, low sugar they have a slow GI. Meaning they don't spike blood sugar, the liver processes them slowly. Or simply take supplements to maintain vitamins and other nutrient you think you're missing out on. I eat tons of salad (greens, spinach, olives, radish, tomatoes) daily. This good even if not on keto.

carb-cycle-1024x1024.png

17. TeleFunk Man

FibreOne has 25 grams of carbs per serving definitly not keto, assuming that's what you're going for. For cereal I roast a batch of organic pecans, almonds, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, coconut shreds. Consume with almond milk. Great low carb, healthy fat, zero sugar substitute.

18. RorysTele

RorysTele TDPRI Member

Same here. Little to no sugar and same with carbs. Not strict with it.

19. TeleFunk Man

Fat is ok. Sugar is bad.

20. TeleFunk Man

By all means do you research. Check out Dr Boz on YT.

Some keto friendly vegetables that contain high fibre: avocados, broccoli, brussel sprouts (cook in grass-fed butter, add lemon juice and bacon chunks). Berries such as strawberries are ok on keto and contain fibre.

Bread is a no-no. But there are breads made with almond or coconut flour that are good. Check out Keto Connect on YT for tons of awesome keto recipe videos.

RLee77 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.