Keto Diet

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TeleFunk Man, Feb 9, 2019.

1. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

I'm just a compulsive over consumer.

If a steak is good, two steaks with a pound of shrimp, a baked potato, and a dozen buffalo wings is better.

If a couple of boilermakers gives a pleasant buzz, a whole bottle of bourbon and a half of a case of beer is better!

If a cigar is good once in a while, several cigars a day with a couple of packs of cigarettes and some chewing tobacco is better.

I quit drinking hard liquor a year ago and tobacco five years ago. I've reduced my beer and wine consumption to reasonably sane levels.

Now I'm getting my eating under control.

2. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Afflicted

Keto is not Atkins. Very different.

3. TeleFunk Man

So a good example of keto in what you describe, you can eat the two steaks, a lb of shrimp, a dozen wings even fry them all in grass-fed butter. What causes weight gain in your example is the baked potato. Since the starch in the potato turns to sugar.

I know it's weird. Fats do not cause weight gain.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  4. TeleFunk Man

If anyone is considering going keto I recommend you consume electrolytes (sodium, potassium, magnesium) and some B vitamin supplements daily for the first few months. Get rid of your regular white refined table salt. Eat sea salt or pink Himalayan salt instead as these salts contain healthy minerals. Get rid of your cooking oil (canola, vegetable, soy oil, sunflower) these are really bad as they turn to omega 6 and cause inflation. Instead use avocado and olive oils which are high in omega 3.

drewcp likes this.
  5. TeleFunk Man

Yes, we live in a carb centric world. Keeps the for-profit health and food industries alive.
    Meanwhile, since we were told to reduce fat intake (back in the 70s) and replace it with carbs, there been a steady increase in diabetes and an obesity epidemic. There's no denying the correlation.

6. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

I just saw Adam Ruins Everything, and he claimed the government declaired fat to be evil in 1980, heavily lobbied by the sugar industry.

I'm with 3fngrs - I just eat too much. I'm only 225 at 6-1", but still it's another pound every year. I'm sure sugar is my enemy too since it is in everything.

7. drewcp

drewcp TDPRI Member

The first two weeks, or induction period of Atkins (if done right), IS keto.

Atkins products are usually high in maltitol though, which is the same chemical from the sugar free gummy bears that are infamously known for causing gut discomfort.

I’ve been doing keto for over a year. I have a cheat day once a month or less, on average. It’s so great to eat less, lose weight, and have a more clear mind.

TeleFunk Man likes this.
  8. TeleFunk Man

First few week. you lose mostly water weight. Once you're in ketosis and completed the biological transformation (the goal of the Keto diet) the pounds really start to come off. You become more energetic and clear headed. Fat is a much more efficient source of energy than glucose.It's an incredible transformation. Ketosis sounds scary for some folks, but it's actually a healthy biological state for humans to be in our bodies are designed for it. As a mater of fact newborns are in ketosis when they come into the world, our ancestors were also eating a low carb diet of meat and fats. There were no Doritos at the local cave. :=()

What do you do for your cheat day? I may try this once I get down to my ideal weight (160 lbs).

9. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yes, I'm In!

TeleFunk Man likes this.
  10. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Tele-Afflicted

What you are talking about is covered in the documentary "Fed Up" -- it's about how the sugar lobby messed with labels and much more. It makes sense: we are animals in a modern world. How much sugar is naturally out in the environment? Answer: not that much.

I was a teenager working at a movie theatre in the 1980s. I remember when the "super size" thing happened. Drinks doubled in size. Palm oil on the popcorn. Blech. It was gross having to pick all of it up in the aisles only 90 minutes later, only half eaten. Licorice and Junior Mints. I was young, so I wasn't totally opposed to it at the time, but looking back on it now, it was a dark transition into the health crisis you are talking about.

11. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Holic

I used it as a stepping stone into a whole food plant based diet. I lost a lot of weight, but, had issues with gout towards the end. I have been whole food plant based for 6 weeks now and I am feeling great, still losing weight, not as fast, but now I don't have to be so conscious about calories.

12. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Holic

One caveat, not all carbs are created equal. While, fat is fat.

bgmacaw likes this.
  13. d barham

d barham Tele-Meister

Been doing keto for about a year. Lost about 20-25 pounds. Down to about 185. Would like to lose 10 more, but the wife says no. I feel better than I have for years.

14. Rufus

Rufus Tele-Afflicted

If you eat the whole fruit, you're also getting fiber, which offsets some of the natural sugar. But drinking a glass of orange juice, you get all the sugar with no fiber, which is not good.

15. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Holic

No carbs in bourbon! ;) I did the no carb diet and it works wonders, but I was utterly miserable. And I became obsessed with the scale. If I weighed myself in the morning and there was no significant weight loss, I felt cheated and bitter.

So now I'm just trying to be "sensible." My days of coming home from work and eating 3 bowls of cereal and midnight pasta are over. When I go out to a restaurant, I decline the complimentary bread. I used to eat alot of frozen gnocchi and ravioli--no more. I politely pass on pizza lunches.

But I'm back on the beer and make those Uncle Ben's microwave rice packets.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    3fngrs likes this.
  16. Tele Fan

Tele Fan Friend of Leo's

I have accepted the fact that I was born built like a short grizzly bear and I shall die built like a short grizzly bear. I shall be a short grizzly bear with doughnuts and a six string ;)

17. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm on the Mesozoic diet, only dinosaur meat for us.

3fngrs likes this.
  18. drewcp

drewcp TDPRI Member

The nice thing about having a month or two between cheat days, is having time to think about what carbs I really really want. Sometimes it’s Chinese delivery, other times pizza, or our favorite Mexican restaurant. Then we each get a pint of ice cream and watch a movie at home.

When I come out of ketosis, it hits me hard. So if I’m going to plan a day off the diet, I may plan the night before to start the day with donuts from a local shop, so that way I’m not surprised mid day when I feel my brain chemistry switch back to “normal”

19. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

20. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

I did for a while to reverse a very slight case of non alcoholic fatty liver disease... it does work well for that and it does help weight loss.

But it also screws up alot more than it fixes if you do it long term.

You may appear fit and healthy but you wont be.

micpoc likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.